Litter Box Acidents

AdamSavage
Illustrious Master Hunter

Litter Box Acidents

Unread post by AdamSavage »

So when I was at my mom's before I brought my Bengal kitten home, she locked her up in the washroom overnight (per suggestion of Breeder) she had no problems using it then, only to poop on the floor the next day when let out. She tried to poop on my couch earlier today, but I caught her before hand and put her in the litter. It was clay at the time, and she tried to eat it. So I had to empty it out into the other box in the house, and go get something all Natural that wont harm her.

She has peed on my couch earlier, but I caught her in the act and put her in the box. I was also able to clean it up quickly, before it set into the couch. I forgot to use these little syringe (without the needle) the Vet gave me to suck up the pee, and put it into the box. I tried putting the litter box in the same spot on my couch that she has had accidents, and she has checked out the litter box being there. However, still chose to pee on the couch beside the box! This is becoming very frustrating for me.. Suggestions ?
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Re: Litter Box Acidents

Unread post by Makoes »

I dunno, but I have a 1yr old domestic black doing a similar thing just outside the TWO litter boxes...doesn't matter if they've just been cleaned or not, he prefers to use the floor to poop...and sometimes pee.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Dewclaw
Realm: Llane

Unread post by Dewclaw »

It's not normal for cats to not use the box. They prefer to be clean by nature. Have a vet check the kitty out to rule out anything medical, then look into the behavioral WHY she might be acting out. Meantime, you can try confining her to a small room with food, bed, and litter.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Hopefully it's just a matter of persistence and time. But try to clean up the 'accidents' as thoroughly as possible, including odour remover. If cats are anything like dogs in that regard the smell will trigger them to go there again and will make it harder to train them not to.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
AdamSavage

I have her confined to my room with two litter boxes, and when I catch her in the act. She finishes doing what she was doing, and has no problem burying it. I just can't figure out why she is refusing to use it. I've only gotten her to use it once, I picked her up and put her in the box and she smelled her poo I picked up from her last accident, and then took another dump in the box. However, she doesn't want to use it sense then.

I forgot to add that she had a Vet Visit on Monday and was given a clean bill of health.
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Isobelle
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind (H) Wrymrest Accord (A)

Unread post by Isobelle »

In my experience, cats hate strong citrus smells and tinfoil. Could you try one of these short term on her favourite spots?
AdamSavage

I'm trying out this odor remover first, to see if the reason she keeps picking the couch is due to the smell.

Dr. Who Video!

Isobelle
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind (H) Wrymrest Accord (A)

Unread post by Isobelle »

Once she's used the washroom there once, its very common for them to want to again in the same spot. Crossing my fingers for you!
AdamSavage

She peeed in the litter box I moved to the floor, I had noticed she had checked it out a couple times and this time decided to use it vs trying to pee on the couch. Then again, I was lying on the couch so I was on her spot. Small progress.

Dr. Who Video!

Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

She just moved, cats do this before they get settled (never babysit a friend's cat at your house, it gets messy). Just give her some time and keep moving her to the litter box. :mrgreen:

AdamSavage

She used the litter box 3x last night, plus another with me moving her from couch to Litter. Almost had an accident today, but putting her in the litter box reminded her that is where she goes. She has just woken up, so I think she forgot.

Dr. Who Video!

zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Do you just have the one litter box?
Box training kittens with only one box can cause this till they learn to "hold it" or they get older and bladders can hold more longer.
EVERY vet I've worked with says a box in every room for kitten training. Especially next to their main sleeping spots for immediate access upon waking.

This may help her.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

AdamSavage

She used the litter box during the night on her own, and again a couple minutes ago also with no input from me. She has access to two litters boxes at all times, and 3 when I let her explore the rest of the lvl. She seems to only be interested in the one litter box however.

Dr. Who Video!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

AdamSavage wrote:She has access to two litters boxes at all times, and 3 when I let her explore the rest of the lvl.
So when she uses all three, she unlocks the next level? :D
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Valfreya
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind, Blackrock

Unread post by Valfreya »

Sounds like she is doing better! yay! Just be patient, when kittens are brought home, they are just lost and scared. Im a breeder and everytime I send one of my little babies home I send a letter with them saying how they will be stressed out and need to be kept in a safe place for a few days, sometimes a week, and slowly introduced to their new home. All of my cats are crate trained, they have huge crates that is their safe place, I believe a great dane could live in one of these things happily, haha. When they get scared (the vacuum cleaner running) they actually run to their crates and hide. Having them crate trained also helps them with stress when they have to spend the nights at the vets, or at the boarders when we travel. Good luck! If she starts pooping and peeing all over the house again just do that, put her in a room with her litter boxes and let her out to play then put her back, every few days extend the time she is left to roam around. She will get it down eventually.
AdamSavage

She had a small accident earlier, and this was inches away from the litter box. I think she tried to make it to the box, but couldn't hold it in. She was in the box a few hours later burying something, so I hope this was a isolated incident.

Dr. Who Video!

AdamSavage

I think the litter problem has been nicked in the but. She has now used all 3 litter boxes on the same lvl of the house. I got rid of the clay litter in the last box, and replaced it with wheat based litter.

Dr. Who Video!

Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

AdamSavage wrote:I think the litter problem has been nicked in the but. She has now used all 3 litter boxes on the same lvl of the house. I got rid of the clay litter in the last box, and replaced it with wheat based litter.
I use Sweet Wheat kitty litter for potty training purposes, its nice that its flushable and organic. In my opinion it works just as well as the clay stuff for stopping odors. :mrgreen:

AdamSavage

This is what I'm trying out now: Fresh4Life Wheat Clumping Litter

Dr. Who Video!

Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

how is the new litter working out?

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?