Wolfcult lore help needed!

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Wolfcult lore help needed!

Unread post by Lupis »

Right, so I not-so-recently made a worgen DK on WrA with the intention of making him an RP character. Ignoring how I'm horribly shy and never manage to RP with people that aren't close friends, I would love to get some help with his backstory.

See, the intention was to have him be a Wolfcultist. I refer to the Bloodmoon Pack in Grizzly Hills, not Arugal's previous cults. That also means he's a native to Grizzly Hills - as if I'm reading it right, the human settlements in Grizzly Hills are made up of humans native to Northrend, not settlers that came with the rest of the Alliance. So there are a few things that I need to work on for this guy.

First: Native to Grizzly Hills. He lived in Solstice Village his entire life, which must have its own customs and culture. ...Unfortunately, Solstice Village (and the other settlement) have no lore. At all. They're just settlements with humans that do trapper-hunter things. I suppose I could draw on real life trappers, but the bane of many a potentially good roleplayer is making RL stuff apply in-game. Really, the only info I have on them is that... they turned fairly quickly to the Wolfcult, they don't appear to have gender roles, and they didn't really want to get involved in the alliance/horde war. That's... it. So, I need some more details about that. If he grew up there, after all, you'd think that he'd have some character traits based off of it.

Second: Wolfcultist. Okay, this is where it gets really tricky. I can understand how he'd convert to being a cultist, because living in a place as unforgiving as Grizzly Hills would make the idea of a wolf form really enticing. Besides, peer pressure, promises of respect and greatness, blah blah. ...But once he becomes a cultist... There are two options for cultists.

1- Regular old cultist. Has a human form and a worgen one, can turn into a worgen at any time. However, upon death, the curse is lifted. That makes the whole "DK" thing tricky, unless maybe you can... regain the curse... while a DK...???

2- Super cultist form! Upon reaching a certain point, it seems like the cultists lose access to their human form completely and turn into full-fledged worgen. Or maybe they just don't use their human form...? Either way, this is the stage where they can die and retain the curse, apparently. However, I'd like it if my dude could use his human form too.

Another thing to note, as Cowmuflage brought up to me earlier- it's hard to stack curses. That is, once you become a worgen, it's very hard to make you undead, too. This applies, at the very least, to the Forsaken curse. Does it also apply to becoming a DK?

Any help would be welcomed- I really want this character to work.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Frostwolf, Blackwater Raiders

Re: Wolfcult lore help needed!

Unread post by Aeladrine »

Hmm. I don't know anything about the actual lore, unfortunately, but I can help you craft things that accompany the lore for everything else and seem believable?

I would certainly say go with option two, and have it so he can access his human form, but simply didn't care to in life, due to the influence of the cult. Maybe he starts thinking more about the cult now that he's dead, and part of his story is him figuring out if the cult was good for him or not/if he actually ever wanted to be a part of it? You could have him start accessing him human form more and more as time goes on because of this (or maybe he just gets annoyed that everyone assumes he's from Gilneas, so he just doesn't use his worgen form in cities?).

As for the double curse issue, I wouldn't be too worried. DKs get the whole special snowflake thing with being raised by Arthas himself. If your worgen had simply been exposed to the plague and died, then he probably would've lost his worgen abilities or just stayed dead or something. But if Arthas can raise a dead dragon and bend it to his will, I'm pretty sure the worgen curse would be no problem.
• Aela's Pet Journal

Totally fantastic avatars and signatures by Sookie, Nili, Serenith, and Kurenio.
Tumblr || Deviantart || WoW RP Blog

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

A lot of DK's chose to become Dk instead of being raised (quite a few of the first "batch" of Dks did that, the ones who where pallys). So I guess he could of done that. Instead of the plauge getting him.

Seeing as that cult is in Northrend I think you could go with that angle!
Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Well, none of the DKs were raised by the plague. They were all killed on the battlefield and then raised by Arthas. The Forsaken are the ones who were killed by the plague.

So I guess your worry about that isn't a worry at all, Lupis!
• Aela's Pet Journal

Totally fantastic avatars and signatures by Sookie, Nili, Serenith, and Kurenio.

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Unless they where ones who made pact's the the Lich king for power. XD Not all died in battle.
Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Well, yes, but player DKs aren't part of that.... Since we're part of the Ebon Blade, we were created specifically to guard Archerus.

Of course, you don't have to go with that, Lupis! The only problem is that other DKs still don't have free will, and those who chose to become what they are will likely never get it back. You can nix that, of course, and say that your worgen regained free will with the death of the Lich King, but if they chose to become part of the Scourge you're going to run into some serious issues.
• Aela's Pet Journal

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Well for someone in the wolfcult who are affiliated with the Scourge I think them chooseing to become a DK is the most likely option to go with. It would make sence.
Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Thanks for the feedback! Definitely some things I need to think about.

On the choosing to join the scourge thing- I suspect that wasn't his intention. The Wolfcult never did seem to stress the Scourge thing very much, in the quests- they stressed the worship of Arugal (...or, um, the worship of something- that never was made clear...) but judging by the quests, the Scourge idea was kind of ignored. Sure, Arugal was part of the Scourge, but he kind of made the Wolfcult into his own thing.

...Tangent. Sorry. Most likely he didn't join the Cult with the intention of joining the Scourge- it was just a very appealing idea, being able to turn into a worgen. In a harsh forest full of bears and worgs, a bit of claw of your own is a good idea. I could go with the idea of him choosing to become a DK- but, Aela, you mentioned that that could cause problems with the whole free will thing?

Now, there are a few more questions I haven't thought out fully. Specifically, his death- there aren't a whole lot of battles going on in Grizzly Hills, especially while the LK was still making DKs. I do know that he never went to the Eastern Kingdoms and therefor was most likely a loyal little DK until Arthas' death, hanging around in Northrend to aid against the living.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Yeah it's a bit iffy but all I know is the Scourge brought him back to do all that wolfcult stuff.

You could make it that after Artha's death he was lost and leaderless and so wondered around NR for a bit and slowly got his free will back. Kind of like getting over a cold in a way. but the cold being the Lich kings control and not germs. Because germs are ew.
Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

You could have it so that, when someone as far along with the cult as he was dies, Arugal's ghost has them brought to Arthas so they can be resurrected into his service? No sense in waste, after all.
• Aela's Pet Journal

Jurz
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Scryers, Earthern Ring, Feathermoon

Unread post by Jurz »

This is rather cool :)

Sorry for the randomness of that >>

Sig drawn by the amazing Lupis! and avatar drawn by the wonderful Senna!

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Aeladrine wrote:You could have it so that, when someone as far along with the cult as he was dies, Arugal's ghost has them brought to Arthas so they can be resurrected into his service? No sense in waste, after all.
That could work well indeed. Waste not, want not!
Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Oh hey, I like that! Perhaps he died during the initial attacks on Bloodmoon Isle along with some other cultists who were pretty far along, so their bodies just got dumped in the Citadel for resurrection and continued service. They're already clearly loyal (even if, I suspect, he didn't quite know what he was getting into) and skilled enough to get that far in their service- they have good DK potential.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Good plan! I think you'd probably have to start with him being mostly in worgen form and have him transition to being in human form more as he regains more and more of his own personality, but I think it could work really well!
• Aela's Pet Journal

Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

That works fine with me, seeing as at the moment I detest the male human model. ^.^;;

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Too bad you can't play as the vanilla model seeing as the Wolfcult guys used that NR model XD