New Character Models Discussion - Update! Fem Gnome Faces

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Re: New Character Models Update! Female Draenei!

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

Shinryu Masaki wrote:I'm not sure why some people dislike the female draenei posture. They're aliens from another planet, we can't expect them to follow human anatomy correctly. They have four knees (4!!!!), they have horns on their head, they have a tail, they have four tentacles on their face, and they have hooves instead of feets. Heck even their blood is blue instead of red. A weirdly curved spine doesn't seem out of place on a body like that.
No they still have two knees lol. The next bend down are ankles. They're basically walking on their tippy toes.

And I get alien anatomy, but a better argument would be it's a video game really...anatomy works in certain ways, especially since they came from an environment not that different really than ours. I'd use anatomy as a argument if they came from some place like Titan perhaps...or Venus...places with very different environments...but they don't. So the bent spine looks out of place. There's a reason why bipedal digitigrade legs are really only found in birds and dinos...and they have a very different posture for it. The bent spine just doesn't look natural really.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

They only have two knees. And a hock, which is technically the heel. It all has to work, fantasy or no, is why it bugs me... the musculature right now shouldn't be able to support the existing bone frame in that arrangement (and we know they have nominally normal skeletons because they're left on the ground and all). Though then again, they should have triple-cloven hooves not double from the skeletons. Perhaps one toe is vestigial? Anyway.

It might not seem out of place to you, but to me it just looks like a constant need for physical therapy and medication. /shrug

Though as pointed out, they have blue blood. So I wonder why the inside of their ears look pinkish? That's a red-blood-person trait. Even sunburn is a reddening of the skin as the body sends blood to the area to try and help repair the damage. Given that draenei have blue blood (by canon!) they should blush blue, sunburn blue, and have blue tints anywhere that one would normally see 'pink' in a red-blooded individual. I think what actively bugs me now, though, is their naked fetlocks. I liked the fur. Now it looks like they shave, and if there's anything sad in the world, it's a shaved goat. /shudder

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I believe everything in the game is stylized and not mean to be examined too closely, any more than the Simpsons only having four fingers. They've never gone for a very realistic style, it's just not part of the game. With an enormous head projecting at right angles from the frame the Tauren would probably be in lifelong agony if you applied real-world human biology to it.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

Maybe not, but with all those huge, corded muscles in their neck and shoulders, tauren -look- like they can function like that. Draenei are just sort of twisted in space without support.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Nachtwulf wrote:So I wonder why the inside of their ears look pinkish? That's a red-blood-person trait. Even sunburn is a reddening of the skin as the body sends blood to the area to try and help repair the damage. Given that draenei have blue blood (by canon!) they should blush blue, sunburn blue, and have blue tints anywhere that one would normally see 'pink' in a red-blooded individual.
Maybe it's actually not an "internal blood" flourish that it creating these pink hues?

It could simply me a variant in the sexes like many other species of fish and birds and baboons and many other animals have. It could be because the female of the species creates the chemical compounds that change the skins colour. It could be a colour variant to show she is or isn't sexually available? or maybe it changes to pink when the female of the species is of an age in which it can reproduce? Or it could be the chemicals in the ears reacting in way for interpreting sounds, maybe to add a hint of humanity to an otherwise alien race so us "Humans" may relate or connect a little more with them. etc. etc. etc.

Or it could just look nice as a design, to have a complimenting hue to the myriad of blue.
It seriously could be just one of soooo many things that could be conjured up by trying to work out exactly why it is and what it is.

But as Wain said, I'm not sure this is probably not meant to be scrutinized quite as hard, as it just is what it is. :)

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Sherbe
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Draenor-EU, Korgall-EU. Bloodhoof-EU

Unread post by Sherbe »

I think Draenei posture looks good as it currently is. I myself have a very arched back and if I walk on my tiptoes or in heels I naturally arch my back even more and push my shoulders back more than usually. Sure it's exaggerated a bit to look good and supermodel-ish, but I think it's fine. Humans stand with their hips straight below their shoulders so no human is suffering from spinal misalignation.
I'm glad with the Draenei. I was worried since my main and one of my 90-alts are draeneis. I really wanted them to keep it same except HD textures, which they did. Whew.

Hydra sig by Vephriel, may this hydra soon befriend Sherbe!

Snowy
Illustrious Master Hunter

Unread post by Snowy »

Yes, they're aliens from another planet, but let's not kid ourselves here. The reason their back is arched like that is so that their chest sticks forward and their butt sticks out. I figure that when they added in blue-space-goat-ladies, they at least wanted to give them some sex appeal, and that's what we have. I don't dislike it, personally I see nothing wrong with a bit of sex appeal, though I know many are against it, but if they're going to have anatomy quite similar to that of a human, I don't see why they don't make them stand like a human too. The only thing not human about them are the feet (and I do like the posture of the feet, I hope they stay the way they are), the glowing eyes, the tendrils, horns and blue skin. Otherwise, their anatomy is almost identical to ours.

Snowy the Sylveon Hoarder ♥
3DS FC: 1263-6698-4911 | FR: EnchantedEcho | PSN: Eviesaurus
My YouTube Channel! (Pokemon related stuffs!)

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Snowy wrote:Yes, they're aliens from another planet, but let's not kid ourselves here. The reason their back is arched like that is so that their chest sticks forward and their butt sticks out. I figure that when they added in blue-space-goat-ladies, they at least wanted to give them some sex appeal, and that's what we have. I don't dislike it, personally I see nothing wrong with a bit of sex appeal, though I know many are against it, but if they're going to have anatomy quite similar to that of a human, I don't see why they don't make them stand like a human too. The only thing not human about them are the feet (and I do like the posture of the feet, I hope they stay the way they are), the glowing eyes, the tendrils, horns and blue skin. Otherwise, their anatomy is almost identical to ours.
About 98% of this is conjecture which is fine, but let's not kid ourselves here, options are welcome as long as they are not worded as too matter of fact.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

They will keep their old dance right?
Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Unread post by Myrrmi »

Yes, the dances remain unchanged, they get improved face expressions, though.

Improved... cough-cough... not in the case of dwarfettes... cough-cough... super derphy "WTF is that shit I'm doing?" face...

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

SpiritBinder wrote:About 98% of this is conjecture which is fine, but let's not kid ourselves here, options are welcome as long as they are not worded as too matter of fact.
Yeah, I know, sorry. It's very hard to explain an opinion like that without making it sound matter-of-factly. But it's just why I think they did what they did.

Snowy the Sylveon Hoarder ♥
3DS FC: 1263-6698-4911 | FR: EnchantedEcho | PSN: Eviesaurus
My YouTube Channel! (Pokemon related stuffs!)

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I agree with Snowy. The female Draenei are posed the way they are to emulate women in high heels. The males have the same legs without 'waggle'. I'm not overly concerned about it, but it is funny to see people scramble to provide different justifications.
Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Myrrmi »

Horny babes with built-in heels, that's what they are :P

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

GormanGhaste wrote:I agree with Snowy. The female Draenei are posed the way they are to emulate women in high heels. The males have the same legs without 'waggle'. I'm not overly concerned about it, but it is funny to see people scramble to provide different justifications.
I think few people would doubt that was the real reason for the posing. Plus to provide a link to the demonic versions I think they deliberately made both male and female draenei a little more sexual in style than the average race. The males have the most exaggerated mesomorphic frame of any, I think. As a gay man I certainly have no interest in justifying the female model using false reasons, and I know I'm not the only one. The arguments were basically in counter to applying a scientific reasoning to why they shouldn't look like that. I don't think anyone was using the "but they're aliens not humans" argument to justify a desire to see them stay extra sexualized, or at least most weren't.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Raiyen
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Raiyen »

Shinryu Masaki wrote:I'm not sure why some people dislike the female draenei posture. They're aliens from another planet, we can't expect them to follow human anatomy correctly. They have four knees (4!!!!), they have horns on their head, they have a tail, they have four tentacles on their face, and they have hooves instead of feets. Heck even their blood is blue instead of red. A weirdly curved spine doesn't seem out of place on a body like that.
No no xD Like someone else stated, they only have 2 knees/patellas. Look up a skeleton of a horse, dog, cow, etc and their back legs is very, very similar in anatomy to that of the Draenei. :)
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

Snowy wrote:Yes, they're aliens from another planet, but let's not kid ourselves here. The reason their back is arched like that is so that their chest sticks forward and their butt sticks out. I figure that when they added in blue-space-goat-ladies, they at least wanted to give them some sex appeal, and that's what we have. I don't dislike it, personally I see nothing wrong with a bit of sex appeal, though I know many are against it, but if they're going to have anatomy quite similar to that of a human, I don't see why they don't make them stand like a human too. The only thing not human about them are the feet (and I do like the posture of the feet, I hope they stay the way they are), the glowing eyes, the tendrils, horns and blue skin. Otherwise, their anatomy is almost identical to ours.
I totally agree. I think it was done to make a totally alien race sexier. As a straight guy, that always seemed obvious to me. I really think they should keep most of it.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

The new ogre model looks awesome.

Playable neutral Ogres for Horde and Alliance please Blizzard.
Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Myrrmi »

Pffft the horde can keep their smelly ogres, I want my Arakkoa! :D
(can't wait to see the new flight-able arakkoa models as well...)

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Myrrmi wrote:Pffft the horde can keep their smelly ogres, I want my Arakkoa! :D
(can't wait to see the new flight-able arakkoa models as well...)
As a Horde, I can't complain, Horde gets Ogre, you can get Arakkoa, as long as Nagas and Ethereals are going to be neutral playable races.
Rower
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Rower »

Yes, I want ogres in the horde too :D