The New Doctor Who

AdamSavage
Illustrious Master Hunter

The New Doctor Who

Unread post by AdamSavage »

So what does everyone think of the new doctor so far ?
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Scotty
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Azjol-Nerub & Hyjal (US)

Re: The New Doctor Who

Unread post by Scotty »

Personally, I didn't like him much. I was never a fan of Capaldi for his potty-mouth in the first place, and sticking him in the Doctor's seat was a crap move in my opinion. His voice is too low and he slurs too many words making him hard to understand, and it's nothing to do with the Scots accent, it's simply how he spits out his words - sometimes literally, as I saw a bit of spittle fly in the show.

I saw the episode a couple weeks back with the leaked one, and felt that he didn't flow there either. I figured it was due to the fact that episode was pre-CGI and had no background music to get you pulled into the world, so I watched it on the BBCiplayer when it aired and was still disappointed.

He's also too... flighty. He's trying to pull too much of Tom Baker into it and I don't like that either, personally. He has no focus, which I admit could simply be blamed on his "rebooting" after regeneration, but I don't know, none of the other Doctor's really milked it this much. He zips around in his dressing gown spouting gibberish and, to me, it seems much too close to how Tom Baker portrayed the Doctor, which worked for him and his attire. It just looks weird and strained on Capaldi.

Overall, I still enjoyed the episode, and love it when Strax is being a goober.... but I'm not entirely pulled in to this incarnation of the Doctor yet.
AdamSavage

I'm still on the fence about him. The episodes are good, but I miss the way Matt Smith dealt with things, or even David Tennant.
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I think he is 100% better then Matt Smith ever was. He actually feels like the doctor.
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

Honestly, I stopped watching the show. David Tenant was the best doctor they had imo (he was bloody brilliant) and Matt Smith was okay. A bit iffy, as he had some big shoes to fill, but I liked him all the same. This new dude. No. As Scotty said, he doesn't fit the role of doctor. He's the last, if I can count correctly. (It's the holidays, I grow stupid during that time) and honestly I think the last doctor should've been the best doctor, not some mediocre bloke who slurs and just doesn't do the show justice. I tired liking him, but I can't. David Tenant set the bar high, Matt Smith was successful in following and this dude...he's missed the jump.

I tired watching some episodes and paying attention but I couldn't. I don't know even know his name, so I've no idea if it's just this show he doesn't fit, but I don't think they should've picked him. Unless they had no one else...I think David (which was when I started paying attention to the show) set my standards high. This new doctor isn't making it. Then again, David is a brilliant actor. And he had a great accent.
Valfreya
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind, Blackrock

Unread post by Valfreya »

cowmuflage wrote:I think he is 100% better then Matt Smith ever was. He actually feels like the doctor.
I completely agree! I think he is amazing as the doctor. He is going to bring the love to the show I think, Peter has been a doctor who fan since he was a kid, and has always dreamed of playing the doctor. I think Matt Smith was to young, I liked him, but he never really felt like the doctor for me. For me its I'm not a huge fan of Clara, I think she is to all over the place now. I liked her at the first, but to me she doesnt mesh well with Capaldi. But anyways, Im really looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Peter Capaldi isnt going to be the last doctor, that whole thing was reset when Matt Smith got the extra regen reset from the time lords through the crack.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Actually, I thought the first ep. of this season was the first in ages where I'd seen Jenna Coleman really get to act well. I don't mean she's been acting poorly before that, I mean in this ep she was given more scope to show her talent. Especially when she got angry.

I like Capaldi, I think he's going to do a good job. And some of the lines he was given were quite dark compared to the last couple of boyish incarnations. The whole ~ "Clara, I'm not your boyfriend." "I never thought you were." "I never said it was your mistake." ~ I thought was one of the best and most poignant exchanges in that episode. Also loved the "who frowned me these lines?" question. It's going to be interesting. :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
AdamSavage

*snip*

Dr. Who Video!