WoW and Ubuntu

Raiyen
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

WoW and Ubuntu

Unread post by Raiyen »

If this is the wrong place, can a mod just move it? D:

So, long story short, my ex-husband technically stole my copy of windows from his previous work. Since it updated to 8.1 today it has been asking for the product key, which I don't have. I really have no choice but to get Ubuntu since I cannot even think to afford to buy a product key. Ubuntu is the only free OS I can think of that is legit and decent. (By the way, the windows key was legit as was the copy of windows, but it was obtained without his work's permission. He lied to me that it was fine but I found out after we split that was a lie. Anyway......)

So, I have read that you can run WoW on Ubutu using the WineHQ thing, but I am kinda dumb to all this. :/ Please tell me that I will be able to run WoW okay and that it is not too hard to set up. :( I would like to get it running before WoD drops. :(
Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Re: WoW and Ubuntu

Unread post by Anyia »

Should be doable. There's a scary looking how-to over here, but I'd probably try through PlayOnLinux first, or maybe the how-to here which claims to have extra fps optimizations and stuff.
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

My husband is an ex techie and he said it should be fine (infact better than it was before) hes played wow on Ubuntu before long before they made improvements :)

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Raiyen
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Raiyen »

Thanks guys. :) My ex-husband was a moron....he worked for a tech company and they have that deal where they have hundreds of copies of Windows that they pay for every year or what-not and I believed him when he said it was okay. :(