mastiff /wolf hybrid ?

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

mastiff /wolf hybrid ?

Unread post by Ana »

I was wondering if such a breed exists? in my eyes that could be the perfect dog.

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: mastiff /wolf hybrid ?

Unread post by Wain »

Honestly, and you may not like this, but I hope they aren't available. Wolves are not dogs, and do not possess the same traits that domestic breeds do. When you cross a wolf with a dog the traits it can possess are unpredictable. They need specialty ownership, especially when crossed with something as physically powerful as a mastiff. In fact I believe they're banned from regular ownership in much of Europe.

On the other hand, there are so many mastiff breeds and wolf-like breeds, perhaps you can find something fully domesticated that has the look you want :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Many places ban any form of cross-breeding with wolves, and I am also absolutely in agreement with those laws. Wolves are not dogs.

A cross of wolf with anything doesn't make a "perfect" anything.

Wolves all on their own are perfect as they are. Period.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Heh i would have a wolf if i could.. ive grown up near a wild life santuary where the wolf were "tame" and i always been around wild animals. Heck if i had the space and money i would own a tiger.. if it was legal...

ive always been "one of those ppl" who doesn't mind wild animals as "pets". Off course you need respect, skills and most of all room if you want to take on a wild animal. One of our friends own a Wolf/German Shepard mix and she is just lovely ;) its not the look im after... its the wild side ;). When we lived in Sweden we had a serval as a pet.. but when we moved back to Denmark, Grace (our cats name) was placed in a good home in Sweden as Servals are not allowed in Denmark

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

Oh goodness. I really hope not. That's an accident waiting to happen D: Wolves are never fully 'tamed'. Even a dog that's part wolf is still never fully 'tame' either. One mistake is all it takes :c

It would look very pretty though!

Siggy under construction!

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

we dont have the room or money for it now. Wild and semiwild pets need room to roam :D and I would never ever think of having a wild animal if i had kids.. and with Vicky staying with us for the moment its not something which will happen soon... I know that "weak" persons are more likely to be attacked by feral wolves as they can sense if you are sick in any way. The wild life sanctuary had a keeper who got bitten because she went into the enclosure when she had the flue ...so care DO need to be taken. Ive always liked the more wild "pets" and preferred the unpredictability that they have...Our serval was not one bit wild though... she was just one big housecat... she was handraise as a kitten and i think she forgot that she was supposed to be a wild animal... My husband once caught a mouse in the kitchen when we had her, and she was super afraid of the mouse and hid in our bedroom for hours after my husband had thrown the mouse outside..

biscitandchina
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: winterhoof

Unread post by biscitandchina »

Maybe a Malamute/Mastiff hybrid would work malamute are a like a larger husky also a German Shepherd in a silver blanket coat would look like a wolf
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Its not the look ;) its the wild side :D... I don't want a pure wolf as they are really hard to domesticate..not to mention illegal as pets in many countries.. but wolf mixed with a dog breed would be perfect :D Again this is not happening for many years but it doesn't hurt to plan ahead

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

I knew someone that had wolf hybrids (he actually ran a rescue sanctuary and also had a couple of lions and such)... unless you want a real mess on your hands even WITH the space, you need more than one. Wolf hybrids require a pack to not go absolutely neurotic over time, and humans really don't fill that niche for them. If you're going to keep wolf hybrids, you need AT LEAST three of them to maintain their mental health. Which requires a lot of space... also they are pretty much guaranteed to eat any and all smaller 'prey' size animals they encounter like cats, squirrels, and dogs under 15lb.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

We planned on 5 once/if we move to Norway.. depends if we enherit the place or not... but i am in linie for it... and there is plenty of room. We did not want pure wolfs because its too wild and too unsafe. But its all still big iffs.. i dont have the money or space now and i would never dream of doing something like that without having the proper space and money for it.

zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

The issue is .................... hybrids are just as wild and unsafe as a full blood. If not more dangerous. As a person who worked with such creatures I STRONGLY advise against it. They're in no way safe for a untrained person with no experience. I was a vet tech when I had the pleasure of working with them and the issues the handlers went through just to make them remotely safe to be around even for them was crazy. You cannot really have a day job when owning one because they require A LOT of human contact even when got as young pups. They do not grow even remotely close to domestic dog. They're significantly more aggressive. You MIGHT be able to house train them.
I do not agree they need a pack. I've seen many a hybrid who was solo. It certainly helps, but some animals do become very very bonded to their owner and as such any new comer even at a young age can and is considered a threat and will be neutralized as such.
A lot of the hybrids demeanor does come from what species of wolf it was mixed with and of course the breed of domestic dog. As a person who's owned and trained large "aggressive" breeds of dog including mastiff, I cringe at the thought of mixing a mastiff with a wolf. That is an animal that will kill someone.
Tarn. I lurvs you and I know you are speaking of a want and something that would be way in the future but please by all means reconsider this.
My suggestion to you is to volunteer at a wildlife sanctuary with wolves. Try to spend as much time as you can getting to know them etc. Then evaluate later on. I would rather handle venomous snakes then deal with a wolf hybrid.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Heh i will think about it :D its like 5 years ahead in the future so i got alot of planning todo. I never seen Mastif as aggresive... Gladys ;the neighbor dog which practically lives with us; is just a big teddybear. She is the most gentle giant i could think of even if she does weigh 50 kilos. She is an english mastiff and been a part of our home (when our neighbor is at work) for 11 years now.. Vicky and i have more to do with her than her owner does.

I worked with wolves, tigers and such when i was 16.. but granted thats a loooooooooooooong time ago so if i decide to go through with my plans the hubby and i will first go live with wild wolves a year or so near a sanctuary before we begin to research into hybrids. ... and with my disability being so severe as it is its probally a dream that will never come through.. but a person can dream ;) :D

Thanks for the good advice Zedxrgal :) i lurvs you too :D <3

Snowwalker
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Suramar

Unread post by Snowwalker »

I do hope you take their advice into strong consideration, Tarn. And I hope you totally understand that the advice is heartfelt, we in no means want to be dream crushers. Like others here, I think such a hybrid would be neat to see... I'd be scared to own one. And especially with medical issues goin on... I really don't see how it could possible end well. I know you're looking for that 'wild' aspect, but... Consider something a little tamer, and safer for the family. Take their advice, and volunteer someplace for your wild side needs ^.^. those places can always use the help, and all the wolfies there could be yours to love, albeit minus the mastiff part.

I certainly don't own a wolf, but I do own an umbrella cockatoo. They're another species that's never truly tame. They still have very strong wild instincts and drives, and they act on them. 99% of the time, he's a sweety. But, he has that 1% when he can be a real pistol. I have the option of leaving/returning him to his cage without too much trouble even when he acts up because I know how to handle him, but a wolf/mastiff with the grumpies... You can't pick up and return to a cage. What would you do?

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

You could always get a bengal or a savannah cat! Though I hear the latter can be destructive, at least they won't, like... eat your baby.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

I second what everyone else has said. I understand your love for the "wild side".... but is it really worth it? There are tons of intense, highly driven breeds out there like the Malinois; they won't give you the wild side you seek, but the average person can't even properly handle a breed like that let alone a wolf dog. These dogs need hours and hours of exercise, and even that won't cut it - they often need a job - herding, police work etc.. And while I know it's not the look of the wolf you're after, Tamaskans are another breed you could look into.

Heck there are even "domestic" foxes. Of course, you'd still have to do your research, and you'd need a lot of space and time, but a fox would be a lot easier to handle than a wolf & they'd still have that wild/exotic side you want.

It's just that especially with you being disabled I don't really see it being a wise decision getting a high content wolf dog. I think that getting a less intense pet & volunteering somewhere would be a much better idea.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Heh i probally have to settle for a mastiff .. as it is now ;).. i always wanted the biggest and the baddest animals for some reason ;).. Heck i would mix a hyena with a wolf or something like that.. probally good im not a geneticist or a scientist.. i would probably remake T- rex if i could :lol:

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

We had a wolf hybrid once that we adopted from an animal shelter (a looooong time ago, when I was about 9 or 10). I don't know if he was 50/50, or a little more diluted, but regardless. He had bi-colored eyes, too: one blue and one brown. He was the absolute sweetest and best dog when we were home. However, when we were out of the house, he went nuts. It was like separation anxiety, but 10x worse. He jumped through a double-pane window and tore up his leg really bad, because he was desperate to be with people. He ended up just chilling in a neighbor's garage, leg all torn up and bloody, because he needed to be with someone. Then, with his leg all bandaged up after a trip to the vet and stitches and all that, he still managed to jump over a 6-foot cinderblock wall surrounding our yard, and went all the way to my elementary school so he could be with the kids and people.

Fantastic animal, but he just couldn't be alone AT ALL. We ended up adopting him out to a retired older woman who enjoyed taking walks in a public park. She was a widow, if memory serves, and wanted to feel safer and not be so alone herself.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.