Activision Stops Reporting Subscriber Numbers

AdamSavage
Illustrious Master Hunter

Activision Stops Reporting Subscriber Numbers

Unread post by AdamSavage »

It is curious they would stop reporting the sub numbers, but I don't think it's a sign of the end of WoW. The next expansion will be a true test I think, to the future of WoW.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/ ... r-numbers/
World of Warcraft has 5.5 million subscribers, and that’s the last you’re ever going to hear of it. The storied MMO is entering the end of its lifespan as subscription numbers drop to a nine-year low, and Activision Blizzard has decided to stop including that number in its financial reports. What goes up, must come down.

“Note that this is the last quarter that we plan to provide subscriber numbers,” the company said, via Gamepsot. “There are other metrics that are better indicators of the overall Blizzard business performance.”

Part of this is actually reasonable: the MMO world is very different from when World of Warcraft was at its zenith, and revenue is no longer as closely tied to raw subscriber numbers as it used to be. We have microtransactions and the like to make up the difference as casual players leave the game behind and only the core remain. But it’s also clearly a concession to the fact that that number is only going to keep getting lower.

Remember, this is all relative: 5.5 million paying customers is nothing to sneeze at, and this game is still making plenty of money. World of Warcraft has lasted eleven years, which is an eternity in this world. It’s probably got a few more good years left in it, but the end is in sight.

This isn’t a huge problem for Activision Blizzard overall: the company clearly saw this coming, and has plenty of new revenue streams being groomed to take its place. Chief among them is Destiny, Bungie’s shared world shooter that’s close enough to being an MMO that we could consider it World of Warcraft’s replacement. That game is only in its infancy, and is currently playing around with revenue models (though, as with World of Warcraft, Activision refuses to give us very useful numbers about how many people are playing). Activision also recently bought Candy Crush, which is a veritable money factory and an important step into the continually growing world of mobile.

I wonder if there will be a traditional World of Warcraft-style MMO that comes along to replace it, but somehow I doubt it. Gaming tastes have changed, and microtransactions have fundamentally altered the way we conceive of revenues for a project like this. One thing is for sure: it was a very, very good run.
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Re: Activision Stops Reporting Subscriber Numbers

Unread post by Lupen202 »

While I'll be curious how much sub numbers will rise with the launch of Legion, I guess it's for the better so people can stop freaking out over sub numbers and just focus on the game itself.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Agreed and honestly? Sub numbers dont determine a game's success.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

AdamSavage

Junrei wrote:Agreed and honestly? Sub numbers dont determine a game's success.
Yes and No. They do to a point.. If you had say 20 Million and in half a year, you go down to 6 Million. Then something isn't right.. Depending on the game, it can still be a success though. My guess is they don't want the public to be distracted by the sub numbers, and could be tired of the sites talking about it. I can understand to a point, but there are other means to get an idea of how many are still playing.
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

AdamSavage wrote:
Junrei wrote:Agreed and honestly? Sub numbers dont determine a game's success.
Yes and No. They do to a point.. If you had say 20 Million and in half a year, you go down to 6 Million. Then something isn't right.. Depending on the game, it can still be a success though. My guess is they don't want the public to be distracted by the sub numbers, and could be tired of the sites talking about it. I can understand to a point, but there are other means to get an idea of how many are still playing.
Well yeah but even Blizz didn't have that steep of a drop. Their drops have been....actually....pretty normal. They always rise when an expansion begins and then fall steadily and even out towards the end.

Blizz has said as long as people wanna play, they're gonna keep making content for it and there hasn't been any MMO that has come even close to their sub numbers so....I haven't really cared about their sub numbers to begin with.

LisaaraPokefarm

Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Staghelm

Unread post by Arthur »

Good, I'm tired of hearing about them. All it does is bring out the people who cry "WoW is dying! WoW is dying!!"

Imagemounts - pets - armoryImage

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Peridot wrote:Good, I'm tired of hearing about them. All it does is bring out the people who cry "WoW is dying! WoW is dying!!"
Essentially this. :roll:
AdamSavage

Junrei wrote:there hasn't been any MMO that has come even close to their sub numbers so....I haven't really cared about their sub numbers to begin with.
Final Fantasy 14 reached 5 Million:

http://mmos.com/news/final-fantasy-14-r ... ubscribers

Dr. Who Video!

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Vephriel wrote:
Peridot wrote:Good, I'm tired of hearing about them. All it does is bring out the people who cry "WoW is dying! WoW is dying!!"
Essentially this. :roll:
Yeah it does bring out the broken records.
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Pretty much...same people always cry this too.

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

AdamSavage wrote:
Junrei wrote:there hasn't been any MMO that has come even close to their sub numbers so....I haven't really cared about their sub numbers to begin with.
Final Fantasy 14 reached 5 Million:

http://mmos.com/news/final-fantasy-14-r ... ubscribers
Impressive. I'll be more impressed when they beat WoW's record, however. 12mil or go home.

LisaaraPokefarm