Ill-Behaved Pet in Dungeons

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Nymrodel
Realm: Scarlet Crusade

Ill-Behaved Pet in Dungeons

Unread post by Nymrodel »

Has anyone else experienced a pet acting overly aggressive in a dungeon?

Mine is finding "friends" and dragging them back on his own. This sometimes makes for a difficulty in hard situations. I've had to control this by keeping him on "passive" constantly, then telling him to attack or bite when I engage the mob. Is this the best method?

I am asking because I only recently began fighting with a pet. I switched from MM to Survival. It has been a very long time since I used a pet. I'd like to know the best way to use one in the most effective way without him being a problem.

Of course, "growl" is turned off. given.

Thank you for any help given.

Nym
Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Re: Ill-Behaved Pet in Dungeons

Unread post by Rawr »

So why your pet isn't tanking it finds the backside of mobs to munch on, in randoms and raids this can be an issue if the tank doesn't move away from other mobs and your pet's butt pulls them. :D :mrgreen:

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

-> Moved to Pet Discussion :)

I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you, though. I play BM and haven't experienced anything that exciting.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Nymrodel

Exciting is the word... I should also have said the pet is "ferocity", not "tenacity."

It was actually quit funny watching him charge across the beer hall in Halls of Valor just to have fresh Vrykul... though the tank didn't think so...
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

My pet's never run off to aggro stuff (and I leave them on Assist), but mobs are now proximity aggroing on both my pet and Hati. Especially Hati. :(
Aweena
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Aweena »

I usually use an attack macro with my first shot in rotation or a few others this gives me full control of my pet that said are you sure you didnt target the mobs while pressing a button?

I have noticed while out and about that they run pretty far if you press kill command by accident...

Some of these are old but can be modified and still work http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Useful_macros_for_hunters personally i am so used to having it in a macro i get confused when my pet stays put on my first shot.

Also i find pets are more passive than ever to me can have a bunch of mobs attacking me and them and they do nothing until i attack the mobs even with assist

Hope the macro's help!

If love is an illusion to hell with reality

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

peanutbuttercup wrote:My pet's never run off to aggro stuff (and I leave them on Assist), but mobs are now proximity aggroing on both my pet and Hati. Especially Hati. :(
Mm, yeah I haven't had trouble with pets seeming to go off and grab new mobs, but the Hati aggro I definitely noticed today in a dungeon. I'm starting to just dismiss my pet a lot when moving around between pulls because it's hard navigating your character plus an additional pet on either side of you, which increases your aggro range rather significantly.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Vephriel wrote:I'm starting to just dismiss my pet a lot when moving around between pulls because it's hard navigating your character plus an additional pet on either side of you, which increases your aggro range rather significantly.
Seconding this - I love Halls of Valor, but I have to dismiss my pets every time or else we'll pull. Used to be able to ninja. :/

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Shelassa
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU Magtheridon

Unread post by Shelassa »

Darkheart Thicket, if you skip Dresaron and go straight past satyrs to the last boss, pets would derp due to pathing issues and run through a pit full of bats and then drag even more stuff to your "eagerly" awaiting group.

That was one exact spot I've noticed, however, there is still derpy behaviour total :|
Nymrodel

Y'all are noticing the same behavior... and correcting it the same way I am. That at least tells me I am doing what I ought to be doing.

Thanks for the macro help above. I tried similar ones. It made things worse. He attacked "yellow" mobs, those kind, friendly deer! My husband and I just roared in laughter until he dragged in a few outriders for me to deal with. Then it got tense. And extra fun.

So we didn't try that in a dungeon.

As for the extra, unintentional tags, that does appear to happen, but as melee, they are out of range. If the pet is on passive or even defensive, they aren't a threat to me. They are unless I have actually engaged them. Just because I have tagged a mark doesn't mean I have threatened them, or they me. So he ought not be charging willy-nilly hither and yon while on passive or defensive.

I've heard it called a "bug." I don't want it fixed. If it were to be, seems to me dps would go down because some pet aggression would be lost. I don't want that.

What I am gathering from this discussion is that I am controlling the beastie the best way I can, and as should be.

Thanks for all the help, and any more that comes.
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Nymrodel wrote:Exciting is the word... I should also have said the pet is "ferocity", not "tenacity."

It was actually quit funny watching him charge across the beer hall in Halls of Valor just to have fresh Vrykul... though the tank didn't think so...
I'm using SV too and I can tell you I had no problems EXCEPT Halls of Valor. I think there's something up with that dungeon specifically. Every time I got in there one of my pets pulled. I kept apologizing. I did dismiss pet (setting to passive did not help) then recalled them right before fight start but that was the only way I could ensure it wouldn't happen.

Was it only HoV that it happened?

Edit: Horrible spelling errors

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Nymrodel

HOV was the worst. It also happened in Darkheart. And, as mentioned above, when I used a macro. That seemed to send the pet into a feeding frenzy.

I did DHT Mythic last night. Pet was was in control at all times. I was well pleased, to say the least.

Nym

(I must say I totally enjoy SV!)
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I've done Hall of Valor in BM and didn't have any problems other than wonky pet pathing. It sounds like I was lucky. Perhaps it is the wonky pet pathing that is partly to blame.