Random Pet Challenge [v4.0]

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.
Zebab

Re: Random Pet Challenge [v4.0]

Unread post by Zebab »

"Aye, it's worse than I thought." Zebabaru thought to himself, as he stumbled into the cave. Dargrul's antics with the Hammer of Khaz'Goroth caused many caves to open in Highmountain, agitating the cave-dwelling beasts into attacking the locals. And Zebab, with his animal expertise was hired to sort this issue.

Tauren bodies littered the floor, their spears broken and armor shattered. Like our hunter, it seems like these Tauren warriors were tasked with dealing with the creatures. "Ye cannie just come stormin' in flailin' ya weapons." Grumbled Zebab while inspecting the bite marks on the Tauren's necks "Thought these bloody bulls are supposed to respect nature."

"At least 'em cows helped me with sumthin', those bite marks mean we're dealin' wit some bleedin' bats 'ere." The Dwarf loaded his gun, though not fond off hurting animals he isn't afraid to defend himself if the task calls for it.

Zebab rummaged though his bag and pulled out a candle he took from some kobolds earlier to break the darkness in the cave. "Now where are ye, ya bloody buggers?" Zebab grunted, waving his flame around.

'CLUNK!' Zebab jumped out of his skin, when he heard it. A loud thud behind him as if something fell from the roof of the cave. When the lone Dwarf went to inspect it his blood ran cold. "A skull? That means..." He said as he pointed the candle upwards.

A hundred pairs of crimson eyes lit up the ceiling, each belonging to a vicious winged beast suspended upside-down from their dagger-like claws. Zebab readied his rife, preparing himself for a hell of a fight.

As each bat swooped in for the kill, Zebab responded with a swift crack from his rifle, grounding the creature with a perfectly aimed net. But his ammo was limited, and the bats weren't letting up.

Just as he downed his 10th bat he heard a deafening screech. The source was a colossal green bat, it's wing span must have covered 5, no 10ft. It has to be the leader.

The gargantuan green beast plummeted, fangs bared, right at the Dwarfs face. "STOP!" Zebab bellowed, narrowly dodging the attack "I'm 'ere to help!" The bat ignored the hunter as it readied for another swoop. "I'm 'ere to stop Dargrul.", and with that, the bat's assult ceased.

"Dargrul's attacks 'ave been causing chaos for the local wild-life, as ye know, and I cannie let that stand." The massive beast bowed in front of the hunter and with that Zebab understood. "Ye thought I was one of 'em, didn't ye." Zebab said to the jade beast "Ye wanna join me and stop those attacks once and for all?"

And so Zebab didn't just leave the caves with a sack full of gold that day, but with a new friend, and a new mission. Dargrul must be stopped.

Reading the stories posted in this thread, I couldn't help but have a go at it myself, sorry if it was a bit too long. Anyway time for my actual review.

I didn't like this bat to begin with, every bit of it was creepy from it's face to it's veiny wings. No, seriously, look at that face.

But after a while he started to grow on me, for a start his model is really high res, it looks great. Also i love it's idle flying, I know most people don't but I think it makes the pet seem more lively. He also has pretty cool attacking animations, one where he kicks the target and another where he swoops in for a bite.

Overall I'd really recommend this pet to an undead hunter, or even for people like me who are making a transmog for Halloween.

Edit: Images didn't link correctly :(
Nefretiti
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Durotan US,Saurfang, Staghelm

Unread post by Nefretiti »

That was a really fun read, love the selfie picture .. but it made me wonder ..which face? :)
Don't be afraid to go for your dreams.
Reach for the moon and if you miss it reach out and grab a star.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

That selfie is brilliant! That as an awesome read :-)

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Very nicely done Zebab! :D Love the selfie!

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Varethyn
Petopia Artist
Realm: Azjol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Varethyn »

Apologies but I'm going to have to postpone my challenge due to real-life health issues. Been sick and dizzy all weekend and it doesn't look like it's about to let up any time soon.

Check out PetEmote here! | Visit my Flight Rising lair!

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

No worries. Go take care of yourself and feel better. :hug: Sounds like you need a doctor. :hug: <3

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Nefretiti

So .. my first report :)

Bixy was travelling through the Barrens when she decided to stop for a brief rest.

Hmm .. wasn't there sun here a moment ago? but before she could react there was a loud ping as something .. or someone pecked at the crystal on her helm, looking up she jumped back as she saw a white tallstrider stand uncomfortably close dodging another peck at her helm "Hey! stop that!" she flailed at the bird who just cawed and came in for another peck.

Bixy harumphed and decided to continue her journey when she realized the bird was following her "Hey what!? .. off with you!" the bird just cawed and looked at her causing the small gnome to harumph again "Oh fine .. come along then but don't blame me if you end up on someone's dinnertable" earning her another peck at her helm which had her ears ringing.

The gnome looked up at her strange new companion "Hrm .. I suppose you need a name then .. given the dents on my helm .. I'll call you Peckers" earning her yet another ringing peck on her helmet causing the gnome to grumble and wave at the irritating bird.

Okay so .. sorta rp done on to the other points.

The tallstrider is a decent tank and a okay damage dealer over all, the attack animation is a mix between clawing with its feet and lunging forward to peck at the enemy

The run looks okay over all but I personally wish they'd kept their old run with the craned neck rather than the stretched out one they have these days.

The model shows its age but not as badly as some others, it is blocky in places but it's fairly tolerable,

Conclution
I personally have always liked tallstriders but have never managed to be able to click with one but I think Peckers is here to stay. they're a fun and unusual pet with over all decent abilities and dps output.
Attachments
WoWScrnShot_100116_201727.jpg
WoWScrnShot_100116_201727.jpg (575.61 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
WoWScrnShot_100116_201719.jpg
WoWScrnShot_100116_201719.jpg (528.81 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
WoWScrnShot_100116_201753.jpg
WoWScrnShot_100116_201753.jpg (535.53 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
WoWScrnShot_100116_201756.jpg
WoWScrnShot_100116_201756.jpg (519.87 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
WoWScrnShot_100116_201916.jpg
WoWScrnShot_100116_201916.jpg (511.14 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
WoWScrnShot_100116_213647.jpg
WoWScrnShot_100116_213647.jpg (483.64 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
WoWScrnShot_100116_204446.jpg
WoWScrnShot_100116_204446.jpg (335.37 KiB) Viewed 3709 times

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I really like tallstriders too, but the new run kinda ruined them for me. Your new friend is really cute, though!

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Aww I love the white tallstrider :D I remember i had one on Abricot back when I played :D

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I love tallstriders and feel like the only Petopian who doesn't mind/likes their new run. :lol:

[/center]
Nefretiti

Soo .. the porcupine.
(Sorry for the lack of screenies in this one, was hard to get good ones due to the size of the critter)

Seri asked for the blue rather than the red porky and after a wild chase and nearly getting whopped by the Sha she managed to find Bristlespine and place the flare well enough for the tame to finish.

and as the little fellow seemed rather peeved at their new situation the lil one kept trying to prickle Seri's legs so hence the name Prickles .. rather unimaginative but it fits.

After some food bribes Seri got Prickles to stop trying to exact revenge and decided to take him questing in Highmountain.

After killing various mobs both soft and stone Seri was treated to a another attempt to implant those spines into her calf before the lil guy settled down.
And they have the ability rest, where they curl up into a ball for awhile. looks kinda funny

So .. Points.

Combat : the animations seems to be a mix of biting and scratching with a front paw. doesn't look half bad with the model.
Running animation : It seems to be this cute little skipping/galloping and it fits the creature pretty well.
Model : the model is very nice, my only gripe is that it could be a mite larger but over all it's something I personally could learn to tolerate.

My impression : over all a fun pet with pretty good damage output and a handy size for dungeons and raids. as stated above it's a mite on the small side for me but despite that I think Prickles is here to stay.

Moar rolllssssssss :D

Serinar
Level : 100
Exotics : No, survival hunter.
Mechanicals : not right now, I am hoping to be able to afford the trinket someday.

Bixy
Level : 51 currently.
Exotics : yes
Mechanicals : Yes

(If you don't mind doing two rolls again that is, otherwise just do one for Seri.)
Attachments
WoWScrnShot_100116_223825.jpg
WoWScrnShot_100116_223825.jpg (471.71 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
WoWScrnShot_100316_202757.jpg
WoWScrnShot_100316_202757.jpg (251.2 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
WoWScrnShot_100316_210455.jpg
WoWScrnShot_100316_210455.jpg (268.77 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
WoWScrnShot_100316_210744.jpg
WoWScrnShot_100316_210744.jpg (239.05 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
WoWScrnShot_100316_214847.jpg
WoWScrnShot_100316_214847.jpg (439.67 KiB) Viewed 3709 times

Aweena
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Aweena »

The brown spotted goat:

Naisya Steelfeather woke up the day after a drunken party in Bradensbrook, "ugh my head" she moaned, as she sat up slowly her bleary eyes focused on a brown spotted goat cozying up to her, "where did you come from little guy?" blinking to get more focus Naisya realized she was in a stable.

After a while Naisya got up and walked out of the small stable meeting the owner of the goat and stable, "So ye finally awake lass, Good now ye start training Shaggy" Blinking in confusion Naisya asked "Training Shaggy?" "Aye lass ye bet me ye could teach him to be a propper battle goat!" the owner smirked with glee shining in his eyes, Naisya not one to back out of a challenge left with the goat following behind bleating happily.

I was going to do an RP integration but Shaggy does not really fit my character that well.

So here is the review:

I love the model and skin i might even make a goat themed hunter at some point a real farmer guy.

As for the fighting animation i think its a little sad that he kicks out with his front legs instead of headbutting.

Running animation is as it should be a majestic GOAT with his herd of ewe's

Swimming i did not get a screenshot off but its an adorable paddle like all other non watery type pets.

Sound he is rather quiet when idle but on click he will bleat at you and during fights there is a lot of bleats but he is rather quiet otherwise.
All in all i like the goat as a pet just not for this character who is a role play main he does a nice job of keeping agro and the dps is as it should be in what i managed to see, He wont be staying in my stable thou since its rather full i will be returning him to bradensbrook to run free with his ewe's, i will always remember him for the weeks i used him for literally anything i was doing apart from rp.

With this we walk off my friend.

I will be making a new hunter someplace just for this i like Nhee's use the pet for 10 lvls way of doing it so

Name: Nahame Wildhoof
Level:10
Exotics: no
Restrictions: none

If love is an illusion to hell with reality

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

I like both the porcupine and the goat :D good screenies for both of them. Fun to stalk this thread :D

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Sorry, I've been rather lazy lately. Nef, you're allowed to request as many rolls as you'd like. :) Unless we suddenly get a huge influx of people interested in this, then I might start limiting them. However, two isn't much at all. :)

Nefretiti(Serinar):
Dark Grey Draenor Raptor

Nefretiti(Bixy):
Diseased Gazelle

Aweena(Nahame Wildhoof):
Totally feel you on the goats; like porcupines they seem to kind of underappreciated as pets despite being newer because they're kind of awkward or something.
Gold Lion

Sorry for the delay; happy hunting folks! :D

[/center]
Aweena
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Aweena »

The rake it is let hope he does not eat my tauren... :)

If love is an illusion to hell with reality

Nefretiti

Oo interesting rolls :) I will probably get to taming them tonight or tomorrow since I have friday off.

Nefretiti

So .. the raptor.

Seri decided to go for the Gorgorond raptors and intially tamed the wrong green but released it and continued looking, eventually she found the correct one.

I decided to take her out and do the two remaining artifact questlines.

I decided to name the raptor Midnight due to her beautiful bueishgreen color.
Model : This raptor is beautiful, textures, coloring, the slight shimmer effect on its back, it's easily one of my favourites.
Combat : good dps but rather weak, during the questlines Serinar died several times due to beeing overwhelmed because Midnight died and she weren't able to rez her in time.
Animations : smooth and flowing for the most part,running is one of the better ones and fits the model well.
Oppinion : Due to the raptor appearing to be weaker than many other pets for some reason I don't think Midnight is going to be staying in Serinar's stables despite her beauty. just died too easily, even Seri's owl did a better job than Midnight and that just made it too frustrating.
Attachments
Midnight.jpg
Midnight.jpg (450.49 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
Midnight1.jpg
Midnight1.jpg (440.74 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
midnight2.jpg
midnight2.jpg (419.65 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
midnight3.jpg
midnight3.jpg (263.72 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
midnight4.jpg
midnight4.jpg (241.7 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
midnight 5.jpg
midnight 5.jpg (247.15 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
midnight 7.jpg
midnight 7.jpg (300.56 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
Titanstrike.jpg
Titanstrike.jpg (169.71 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
Thasdorah.jpg
Thasdorah.jpg (190.6 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
midnight 6.jpg
midnight 6.jpg (330.26 KiB) Viewed 3709 times

Nhee
Realm: Draenor EU

Unread post by Nhee »

Midnight is gorgeous :O Draenor raptors are so underrated in my opinion.

Aaaand

This is my report for the Orange Tarantula, which I used from level 40-50.

I was thankfully already in Orgrimmar to drop off Lopen, so Dustwallow Marsh was a swift ride away. I swam around the pesky Alliance outpost, ran up the Dustwallow shore, and quickly found a tarantula who was just minding his own business near the Raptor nests.

One tame later, and he was mine! I knew from the moment I saw my roll that I was gonna name him Sadeas. In the books, Sadeas is an arrogant and pompous warlord who will stop at nothing to acquire more riches and gain power. He is the sort of character you just love to hate, and is associated with the colours red and green. All in all, a perfect match for this spider.

Right off the bat, I want to say that this is a great looking pet. Aside from some slight pixelation on the legs, the model still holds up. I always found tarantulas to be very dull looking compared to other spiders, and was very surprised to see just how colourful and vibrant Sadeas actually was, with the green venom complementing the yellow and orange hues of his fur.
And I just fell in love with his beady black eyes. They are so full of expression and personality, especially when compared to the lifeless eyes of the moths. Of course your mileage may vary, depending on how you feel about spiders, but I found a lot to love about this model.
The animations are great too. When idle, he would never really stand still, always shuffling his legs around and occasionally looking from side to side.
The attack animations are really nice too. He would coil back, then leap forward and attack with his venomous bite and sharp claws, accompanied by a threatening hiss.

The real standout though is the swim animation. I can imagine this would look unsettling to someone who hates spiders, but I thought it was very nice. When idling underwater, Sadeas almost looked like a furry, red jellyfish.

ImageImage

As you can see from the screenshots, we went questing in Eastern Plaguelands. I absolutely love this zone. It shows great use of phasing, and has a very engaging main story. Travelling and questing with Fiona and the Paladin Pals is a blast, and I love how they integrated classic EPL stuff like Darrowshire into the main questline.

And all throughout this, Sadeas proved to be a great companion. Even in cunning spec, he handled the elite mobs of Darrowshire with no problem, and it was cute to watch him run alongside the Caravan.
Spiders still have their special skill, Web Spray, which is a 6 second slow on a 10 second cooldown. Used in conjuration with concussive shot or wing clip, you can pretty much keep your target slowed indefinitely. While I only really used this to run away from bad pulls, I can see it being very useful in PvP. If Nhee ever ventures into a battleground, it will most likely be with Sadeas at her side.

ImageImage

Eastern Plaguelands came and went way too fast, and after saying farewell to all our new friends, we found ourselves onboard a rocket to one of my other favorite areas - Badlands!
At first we continued on our merry way, questing along, when suddenly I found that Sadeas had been replaced with a bunch of orcs!

I tried everything I could to get rid of these jerks, but they would just not go away. And well, that made me a bit ornery. It took me nearly a week just to get the motivation to finish the quests, kick the orcs to the curb and get poor Sadeas back, but once I did, Badlands went by in a heartbeat. We took our part in Wrathion's origin story, saw Rhea meet her untimely demise, spent an embarrassingly long time solving those annoying Iron Dwarf puzzles, and - of course - heard three drunks' completely factual recount of what happened the day that Deathwing came.

And soon after, only a few quests into Searing Gorge, we reached level 50!
This pet was a very pleasant surprise. As I mentioned before, I never really paid much attention to the tarantulas. But Sadeas was such a presence! Great animations, the model and texture still looks good despite their age, and he had tons of personality. Add to that one of the best non-exotic PvP pet skills, and this is just an awesome pet overall. Sadeas has given me a newfound appreciation for tarantulas, and I do now consider him the second member of Nhee's core pet team. :D

(Please disregard the hideous armor)

Name: Nhee
Level: 50
Exotics: no
Restrictions: No moths, no mechanicals

Nefretiti

So .. the diseased gazelle

Bixy ventured out to Felwood to find one which was pretty easy.
She named the lil bugger Spook

The model isn't too bad but the textures of the diseased gazelle is just so strange, with stretching and weirdness all over.

The combat animation is kicking out with it's front legs and it looks rather odd, the back bends in a rather unnatural angle and the front legs looks somewhat stiff.

The running animation however looks fairly okay for the model, it's a reasonably natural looking gallop.

Conclution : The diseased gazelle has many flaws but for some inexplicable reason it has endeared itself to me somewhat despite the texture issues and odd looking animation, the zombie look and pixelation in places is something I'm unsure of weather or not I can overlook, I may let Bixy tame one of the other Gazelles to see how they feel before deciding on weather or not to keep Spook.
Over all it seems to be a decent pet, it does okay damage and holds aggro reasonably well.
Attachments
WoWScrnShot_100616_211615.jpg
WoWScrnShot_100616_211615.jpg (498.08 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
WoWScrnShot_100616_211623.jpg
WoWScrnShot_100616_211623.jpg (484.06 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
WoWScrnShot_100716_003156.jpg
WoWScrnShot_100716_003156.jpg (303.67 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
WoWScrnShot_100616_232928.jpg
WoWScrnShot_100616_232928.jpg (310.33 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
WoWScrnShot_100616_233022.jpg
WoWScrnShot_100616_233022.jpg (266.85 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
WoWScrnShot_100616_211621.jpg
WoWScrnShot_100616_211621.jpg (483.27 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
WoWScrnShot_100616_224653.jpg
WoWScrnShot_100616_224653.jpg (443.06 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
WoWScrnShot_100616_225545.jpg
WoWScrnShot_100616_225545.jpg (400.53 KiB) Viewed 3709 times

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Midnight is really beautiful, Nef! And Nhee, I find Sadeas to be completely adorable. I do see the spunk in those beady eyes. Cute!

Here is my report for the Yellow Worm!

I'm not a huge fan of worms, so I wasn't sure how this would go. I decided to tame Parasitus in EPL because I thought his large size was kinda cool, plus I already had a decently close flight path so it didn't take too long to get there (despite my getting lost in the mountains in the Hinterlands.....). Parasitus wasn't up when I first checked, but I logged on the next morning before work and found him swimming around in that nasty lake.

He didn't look so big at first, but once I got in close to tame him, I saw just how big he really was.

A few seconds later, however, and the creature was mine. I named him Gregory, keeping with my "human names" theme. We immediately hearthed back to SW to avoid any potential PvP conflict. I think this picture pretty much sums up how I felt about this guy, lol.

But, I thought that maybe using him for ten levels would help. So, off we went! Sadly, I didn't get any good dungeon or BG pics, so the following ones will hopefully suffice.

Even tamed, his size is quite large, especially under Bestial Wrath. If you're into big pets that aren't obnoxiously big, this might be the pet for you! I like that he's tall, but not wide so he doesn't take up tons of space when you're questing and trying to loot. That is a plus!

His combat moves were surprisingly pretty plain. He seems to only have one combat animation: lunging forward and biting. In fact, he lunges so far forward that he goes through the target. And with no noise that I ever noticed, it makes him a bit lackluster in the combat department as far as I'm concerned. And his family ability, Burrow, does so little damage that I almost never used it.

His swimming animation was fairly straightforward. He stretches out and undulates slowly. It looks very natural, and shows again how long/tall he is.

The model itself is...okay. You can tell it's old, but it's not nearly as dated as the old cats and hyenas and the like. I do like the rich golden color, it went nicely with Dansen's mog. I was glad that I got the yellow worm rather than the white, because I might have had the heeby jeebies the entire time.

His idle animation is also pretty plain. He occasionally looks back and forth with his mouth open. The idle animation doesn't seem to trigger as often as other pets, so I often had a hard time getting a decent picture because he refused to do anything but sit still. :lol: I think I've heard some say that worms have a cute face with personality, but I personally didn't see it. Maybe I'm just not a worm person. :P

That being said, I do think they'd make a really appropriate pet for an undead hunter. That might be about the only race that would look right with worms, at least in my opinion.

I hate saying it like this, but I kinda couldn't wait to get to 50 so I could get another roll. :lol: I didn't hate him as much as I thought I would, thanks to spending more time with him than I normally would with a worm. However, it still didn't make me like him. He's just kinda...there. He had some things going for him, like his height and color, but overall worms just really don't do anything for me. :lol: And he never really did seem to have any personality. He was very "meh" the entire time I had him. :(

And now, time for my next challenge!

Name: Dansen
Level: 50
Exotics: Yes
Restrictions: 41-50 please, and I am still unable to tame mechs.
Attachments
Gregory 1.jpg
Gregory 1.jpg (108.6 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
Gregory 2.jpg
Gregory 2.jpg (141 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
Gregory 3.jpg
Gregory 3.jpg (167.14 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
Gregory 4.jpg
Gregory 4.jpg (269.45 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
Gregory 5.jpg
Gregory 5.jpg (211.42 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
Gregory 6.jpg
Gregory 6.jpg (63.13 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
Gregory 7.jpg
Gregory 7.jpg (175.24 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
Gregory 8.jpg
Gregory 8.jpg (80.92 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
Gregory 9.jpg
Gregory 9.jpg (303.73 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
Gregory 10.jpg
Gregory 10.jpg (99.58 KiB) Viewed 3709 times

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.