Class mount colour variants

A companion forum for Warcraft Mounts. Or just talk about WoW mounts.
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Class mount colour variants

Unread post by Wain »

I know a few classes (like priests, mages and DKs) have only one upcoming class mount, and the mount changes colour when they change spec. But for a bunch of others, the colours are spread out over different mount spells.

Originally I thought that the upcoming hunter mounts were coded to spec, so one spec of hunter received the brown wolfhawk, one green, one blue. But it seems I was wrong and everyone gets brown, but SV and MM hunters have the option of buying the extra colours if they unlock all artifact traits on their spec weapon. Did I get that right? If so, it may be a bit sucky there was no fourth colour so BM hunters can buy a special one too.

It also seems that other classes DO have one extra purchasable for each spec. There are four rogue raven mounts, and one is awarded to all rogues via the quest, and the other three are purchasable by rogues who unlock all traits on the related spec artifact. At least that's my assumption. Does anyone have a rogue on the PTR who can confirm this? Also, are there any other classes where this is the case? Paladins?
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
sasrei7
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Re: Class mount colour variants

Unread post by sasrei7 »

aww.. seriously? sigh.. of course the one we get automatically is the one I dont like lol. I only play BM spec so this is going to be quite the grind..
Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Is there some reason why we always seem to get the short end of the stick? :| :mrgreen:

Inay
Petopia Artist
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU)

Unread post by Inay »

Well, it also mean that once we have the others versions, we can use them as we want right? Unlike the ones that change with the spec and you always have whatever version is linked to your spec, like it or not. I don't look forward to grinding either, but I'm happy to be able to use the one I want! (We'll be grinding for the feathermane family anyways so a little more...)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

In many ways it's a better deal than the classes that are forced to one colour per spec, though in those cases it's perfectly understandable. They pretty much need to be that way. I'm a little surprised they didn't do them all that way (one spec only) for parity. But of all the classes with multiple separate mounts, most have four (one quest reward, three spec bonus purchases) while Hunters are missing one. It'd be nice if there was a fourth for another reason, because there'd potentially be a fourth colour of wolfhawk to tame :)

At least that's what it seems like. I'm posting here in case members with other classes on the PTR can confirm it's that way with rogues, paladins etc. I'm just assuming it's that way and can't find much on it.
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

Yeah that's a bit disappointing .. don't know why they aren't making it fair for every class. Either give them all four or give them all three, one per spec. (Unless you're a DH because two specs anyways)

I'd be thrilled to be able to choose which wolf hawk I use, I really do like the green and red. But if rogues and pallies get a fourth because... reasons? That sucks.

We could have gotten a nice pitch black wolfhawk, with red, black or purple eyes/gem. That would have been beautiful :(

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Inay
Petopia Artist
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU)

Unread post by Inay »

True. Or a white one, with black speckle like a gyrfalcon!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Actually. I'll bet it's because BM get the taming tome instead! It can't hurt to ask though, but I'm almost certain that'll be the reason :)
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

Don't get me wrong, I love the tome and all, but from a mount collectors perspective it's still not really fair. If anything, the tome should be replacing the class battle pet we could have gotten, while a fourth color is something ALL classes should have gotten. (In the case of DH, maybe a third. One per spec + bonus)

It just ticks me off a little that rogues and paladins are getting a fourth color for no real reason. The reason this is a bit annoying for serious mount collectors is because why play anything but a paladin if you're competing for a top spot? They already were in the lead due to having three class mounts (vanilla chargers + argent charger), and now with FOUR new class mounts they'll have a total of seven Paladin only mounts.

The monk and priest mounts for example are gorgeous, but they're especially screwed in the mount count department. DH as well. Currently, priests switch with spec, so they "technically" only have one mount when they could have three. And monks could have easily gotten a blue re color and a golden re color for wind and brew specs.

I think in spirit of fairness every class should have one per spec as I mentioned before, plus a bonus color. In addition to this, every class mount color should show as separate spells in the mount journal, as the wolf hawks do, so that players can choose the color they want to use after they've earned it, and so that they all count towards the mount achievement as well.

I know it seems like something stupid to be annoyed over, especially when our mount is pretty neat and the new family is so extensive... but it is a big deal when the future mount collection achievements come out and when the world first mount collection is 4+ mounts ahead of the rest because of class.

But ptr is ptr. Maybe things will change. Maybe the extra rogue and pally colors wont make it in to live.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

WingedCaduceus
Realm: Borean Tundra

Unread post by WingedCaduceus »

It does just seem like a really odd choice to have each class's mounts behave so differently. One mount? Two? Three? Four? Roll the dice to see what your class gets!

It's making my mount-collector self dizzy. Now I've got another reason to level up my pally. :lol:
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Do we happen to know if MM and Surv will be able to buy one color each (AKA MM gets blue, Surv gets green) or will they have access to both 'bonus' colors? My gut instinct would say they'd get one color per spec, but who knows, with how oddly each class seems to have their mounts distributed!

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I think they're open to all specs. You just need to unlock the associated spec's weapon traits first and then use on all hunters. Same as feathermane taming is open to all but you have to unlock BM traits first.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

WingedCaduceus wrote:It's making my mount-collector self dizzy. Now I've got another reason to level up my pally. :lol:
This :|

Those Pally's have gotten SO much mount love over the years, 7 pally only mounts now....
  • ■ Warhorse ~ Thalassian Warhorse ~ Sunwalker Kodo ~ Exarch's Elekk
    ■ Charger ~ Thalassian Charger ~ Great Sunwalker Kodo ~ Great Exarch's Elekk
    ■ Argent Charger
    ■ Highlord's Goldern Charger
    ■ Highlord's Vengeful Charger
    ■ Highlord's Vigilant Charger
    ■ Highlord's Valorous Charger

good luck making it balance/equal among classes now. :?

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I suspect their thinking is that while things aren't symmetrical, there are pros and cons to both types of new class mount - (i) easy to get three colours but they're locked to one spec or (ii) easy to get one colour and harder to get 2-3 more but open to all specs. I think this is intended to kinda "balance out". Whether or not it really does is probably very subjective. Frankly I'd go with the extra mounts open to all specs any day because I think at some point the weapon traits are going to be so easy to unlock that it's not going to be an issue once you've got your first.

And yes, it's a shame Paladins are one of the ones that get the most new mounts since they already had such a huge number. But then again, I'd argue they have by far the least interesting or imaginitive mounts of the bunch - no matter how many sparkles they add they're still just more Paladin chargers.