Which class do you prefer with which race?

Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Which class do you prefer with which race?

Unread post by Karathyriel »

I was looking back at my old WoW days and I realized, I never played any class but Hunters (3) and Warriors (2).
I dipped my toes in all the classes but spellcasters were my least favorite and I never really could attach myself to any other than the afore mentioned.

Now here is my question: Which race do you think fits best for each class?
Of course, Horde and Alliance should be viewed separately.

Here are my thoughts about this...

HORDE
  • Tauren Hunter - Tauren have "Hunter" written all over their lore.
  • Orc Warrior - I sometimes think there shouldn't be any other class for Orcs.
  • Troll Rogue - Who else shall sneak through shadows?
  • Blood Elf Mage - The addiction to magic is still stuck in my head.
  • Forsaken Warlock - No race should use demons but if, then the undead.
ALLIANCE
  • Draenei Paladin - Males look epic in plate and who else is closer to the Light?
  • Dwarf Hunter - I think a race mostly living underground needs hunters badly.
  • Night Elf Druid - I somehow consider them the only ones attached enough to nature.
  • Worgen Rogue - I've some problems imagining werewolves in any other class.
Do you agree? Or do you have other ideas/reasons to match the race and class for your character?

I'm really interested in your opinions!
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Re: Which class do you prefer with which race?

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Pretty much spot on for me too :)

a few additions I have an affinity for...

Orc - Shammy (Wolf helms and claws all the way baby!)
Troll - Hunter (I think its just the trickle down from shadow hunters, but trolls with old school raptor pets Image!)

Nightelf - Hunter (Again, I think it's just the lore/cliche aspect of it. Tree huggers running around in the forrest making friends with the wildlife :lol: )
Worgen - Warlock (These guys just look so bad ass as a warlock, they have that wicked manic danger to them that just works :P )

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I don't know why but Shamans have always had a Tauren taste to me.
Spirit of the ancestors, bound to the elements... They are almost as deep in the lore as the hunters are.

Yeah, I played a Troll hunter and it became my most favorite character ever, especially while role playing.
And of course he has a Raptor pet!
But somehow, I feel rogue more fitting with sneaking, use of poisons and what not.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Karathyriel wrote:I don't know why but Shamans have always had a Tauren taste to me.
Spirit of the ancestors, bound to the elements... They are almost as deep in the lore as the hunters are.
For sure, I totally agree with them being Shamanistic too. Their elders always felt very in line with them. Oh and especially as vanilla shamans totems were orgianlly VERY Tauren totem looking in design. :)

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard, Hati's Realm

Unread post by Iowawolf »

If Pandaren can be a class then they are that class as for say a Demon Hunter I go with Night Elf due to I am more into staying Alliance and prefer the female Nights animations.
Bristlenose
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Bristlenose »

I have avoided repeating any two class/race combinations so far. There are too many to list all the ones I have done but I do have an affinity for Rogues, Warriors and Hunters. I've got at least four of each of those. And three Death Knights and three Monks. Everything else I only have two of (one for Horde and one for Alliance). Quite a lot to keep up with and only a handful are 110 let alone well geared.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Couple of people kind of missed the actual question of the post. :lol:

For me:

Horde:
Forsaken Warlock - Ever since seeing the cinematic for vanilla wow 8-9 years ago, and that undead lock just walking through razing the place, they've been forever solidified as the ideal warlock for me; not that I've ever gotten one leveled significantly. :lol:
Orc Warrior or Shaman - I can't really make a firm decision between the two, but I think they're both ideal for this race.
Tauren Hunter or Druid - Another one I'm really torn on as I feel their lore and ideals really suit both.
Troll Warlock - If I can use the same class again, and purely because it's the class that I feel fits closest to all the voodoo type stuff they're involved in. Barring the repeated use of a class, I think I agree with Rogue.
Blood Elf Mage - Like you said, Kath, this just fits them to a T. They might not be as mana addicted as they once were, but to me, the majority are a little too haughty for the true ideals of the Light for priests and paladins. This combined with their descending from High Borne just screams mage.
Goblin Rogue - These little buggers just scream as the perfect rogue class I feel. :lol: I've always found shamans a really odd fit for them, and while a lot of the other classes work, rogue just seems the most fitting.

Alliance:
Human Paladin - Uther, Arthas pre-corruption, Tyrion, etc. Nuff said.
Dwarf Shaman or Hunter: I am actually a little surprised that dwarves weren't shamans sooner as I feel that their lore ties them in rather well to the shaman class. Other than that, hunters have always felt like a good fit for the race.
Night Elf Priest and Druid - I feel like you can't say night elf without automatically assuming druid, but I actually usually see them as priests first thanks to Elune and Tyrande.
Gnome Any class? - Honestly, I don't know if I can pick a sort of "iconic" class for a gnome. To me hunters are a good fit for them because you usually think of hunters as an engineering class. They're also well suited to the casting classes, especially mages. Really sort of a jack-of-all-trades race.
Draenei Paladin or Priest - I mean, given their history with the Naaru, anything light based is super ideal for these guys. And thanks to the dude from the BC cinematic, they're pretty firmly cemented as paladins in my mind. My own personal fantasy is one as a warlock though because I've always wanted an Eredari. :lol:
Worgen Warlock - You take humans who are already pretty shady and then turn them into werewolves and you just get a real gnarly vicious streak coupled with a lot of deviousness and cunning. Rogue is another fitting class for them.

Misc:
Pandaren Monk - I mean duh. The class was pretty much invented for the race and after the expansion, I feel it's hard to associate them with anything else.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

@TygerDarkstorm
I do agree on the Pandaren Monk, that is practically a no-brainer and I wouldn't even consider any other race with this class.
(And I have to admit, I'd always prefer a female as I don't like the male Pandaren.)

As with Night Elves, I fully agree on both classes you chose but with one little restriction: I would always have a male druid and a female priest.
That is so tied in their lore, I'd feel wrong if I chose it the other way around.

Orcs scream "SHAMAN!" because of Thrall, no doubt. And yes, they've been shamans in the old times too, Everyone knows about the story of the elements denying their powers to shamans so they turned warlock, right? But still, the whole structure of the orcish clans make me feel like shamans being rather rare, so I'd always go with Warrior first.
As for Trolls, I never made the "Voddoo equals fel magic" connection. The Voodoo of Trolls for me would rather be represented by a mage or shadow priest instead of a warlock, as I don't see dem Trollz running through the jungle with Demons by their side.

Goblin Rogue? :shock: You nailed that one 100 %! :D We also agree 100 % on the Forsaken Warlocks, where I always shudder when seeing a healing priest and I'm so glad Blizz didn't make them the 2nd Paladin race for the Horde. I have to admit that Tauren Paladin hurts my heart and brain but I can go along the lore lines Blizz made up for them being Sunwalkers worshipping the Earthmothers daytime eye and only using Paladin engine mechanics.

I have to admit, Paladin is also very "human". But thinking about it, I really wonder how the Holy Light reached Azeroth and formed Paladin orders before the first Draenei crashlanded. I might have missed something but I always thought they were the origin of the Holy Light religion.

Dwarves are the same as Orcs i my mind. I'll see them as classic Warriors and yes, loosely sprinkled with a shaman here and there, but only in Azeroth with the Wildhammer dwarves.

Hunter is a class I'm really torn. Not only is it still the class I have enjoyed playing the most of them all, it also is a profession, every race would need to get meat, skins, horns... A hunter is a class I can accept with every race but, like I said, somehow Tauren scream "HUNTER!" from their lore, as they used to be nomads.

Only problem I have are Gnomes. I know, a lot of people think them to be epic but somehow, I shudder at the thought of having to play one. I HATE Gnomes! ;)
If I ever had the shrewd idea of creating a gnome, it would probably be a mage, if I felt adventurous, a priest. A friend of mine played a Gnome Warrior as Tank and I always flinched when I saw him at it. As I used to say: "That boss should just step on your character, wipe his feet and be done with it!"

Anyone else with combinations they are very fond of?
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

The troll warlock one requires a little more imagination and stretching of the in game version of the class. I think of it more like a twisting of the affliction spec and going demonless (if they had familiars I'd imagine it would be something troll/loa related). I didn't even think of shadow priest when I was typing that (for some reason I pretty much only associate priests with the Light :lol:), so that would probably be my better pick for them as it requires a lot less twisting of class mechanics. :)

It's fascinating to see how different people perceive the different race/class combos in the game. :)

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Snope
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Area 52 (Horde), Wyrmrest Accord (Both)

Unread post by Snope »

@karathriel
I dunno, the other races have plenty of things that would make them effective Monks too. The lanky Trolls have lots of leverage, the Orcs and Tauren have plenty of physical bulk for punching people, the Blood Elves could be just as good with Chi as they are with Mana...

Horde first!
Orc Death Knight- They were the original Death Knights, after all. Besides, their burly builds (for male and female Orcs alike) make them a good fit for a slow but strong class like DK.
Troll Hunter- Jungles are one of the most merciless biomes to live in, and the Darkspear Trolls are no strangers to the jungle. I feel like they'd be uniquely experienced when it comes to surviving in the wild.
Tauren Warrior- The men are enormous and the women still have plenty of leverage from how tall they are. Their 2-handed weapon animations look like they're hitting with some serious force.
Forsaken Rogue- They can go without food, without drink, without air... They don't even have to breathe. They are the ultimate assassins. Minus the odor, of course.
Blood Elf Paladin- The Blood Knights have just as much presence in the lore as Blood Elf Mages, mainly since they represent the Blood Elves' path to redemption.
Goblin Rogue or Mage- Both work almost equally well for them. Their size is a valuable asset for stealth missions, and Fire and Arcane magic are powerful and unpredictable. The Goblins are all about living on the edge, after all.
Pandaren (Huojin)- Monk is the obvious answer, but Mage or Warrior could work well for the Huojin specifically. Because (Fire/Arcane) Mage involves wielding dangerous magic responsibly and Warrior's all about mastering rage, the more eccentric and impulsive Pandaren of the Wandering Isle could be drawn to those classes.

Alliance next.
Human... anything, really- Humans are known for being rather adaptable in this setting, so there's no class available to them that is a poor fit. They can fit as righteous Paladins, clever Rogues, or learned Mages at the same time. Even learning the ways of the Monk can fit into this paradigm.
Dwarf Hunter or Monk- Hunter is rather obvious because their Mountaineers, but Monk fits surprisingly well with them. Brewmaster specifically. Dwarven culture is known for its love of booze, so why not weaponize that?
Night Elf Druid- No other race does Druid quite like the Night Elves. They have a longer, more enduring connection with nature than the Trolls and Worgen, and they don't look as awkwardly bulky in humanoid form as the Tauren (although my druid is a male Tauren.)
Gnome Mage or Warlock- As the eccentric geniuses of the setting, Gnomes would fit well for either of these classes. The Mage class has no shortage of eccentric, inventive minds. And since Gnomish culture is all about innovation, why set arbitrary limits when studying the dark arts has so much potential? While Gnome Warlocks are probably some of the least "evil" Warlocks, they do fit the "evil genius" archetype better than anyone else.
Draenei Priest or Paladin- The Draenei are the most deeply pious out of all the playable races, so Priest is a natural fit for them. For the same reasons, Paladin is a close second.
Worgen Hunter or Rogue- I imagine becoming part animal would help make someone better at hunting prey. For Hunter, their improved senses would make them better trackers (and they already looked dapper as huntsfolk before the change.) On the other hand, having a wolf-like form improves both ferocity and stealth, traits that many Rogues need to be successful.
Pandaren (Tushui)- Monk aside, the path of the Tushui is one of patience and contemplation. Because of that, Priest is probably the most uniquely Tushui class a Pandaren can choose.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Let's see...I'll do this by race and see which class stands out to me most for each. :)

Orc - Shaman: without a doubt. They have such strong elemental ties and a history of shamanism in their culture. Thrall is of course a large influence in this as well.
Forsaken - Warlock: what better race to suit such a diabolical class, the aesthetics just complement each other too perfectly. Shadow priest is up there for me as well, but warlocks are all around excellent dark magic representatives.
Tauren - Druid: they're just too iconic for me in that way, I always think of druidism with tauren first and foremost.
Troll - Warrior: berserker trolls and savage warriors are an image that always comes to mind first.
Blood Elf - Mage: even though I adore my hunters, as a race the blood elves just have to go hand in hand with mages.
Goblin - Rogue: sneaky, devious, probably untrustworthy...I just think goblins make for really excellent rogues.

Pandaren - Monk: this is again the obvious choice, but it's obvious for a reason. :lol:

Human - Paladin: it's just the generic white bread fantasy standard, I can't unassociate them.
Dwarf - Shaman: dwarves also have strong elemental associations so
Night Elf - Hunter: even though I'm not overly fond of night elves, almost everyone I know, including myself, started this game with a night elf hunter, and they have such a strong connection to the class.
Gnome - ? honestly I don't care about gnomes, I'll never play one, and most of the time I forget they exist so they don't really have any predetermined vibes for me other than engineering which is not a class.
Draenei - Priest: they could go paladin as well, but the priest just stands out to me a little more with their connection to the Light and the Naaru and the lore figures.
Worgen - ? I'm not really sure I have any class that stands out to me in particular for worgen either. *shrug*

(Death Knight and Demon Hunter are the only two classes I didn't list anything for, though the latter hardly needs it since it's limited to elves anyways. Death Knights though, I'd probably default to humans. The first Death Knights were orcs, it's true, but they were orc spirits in the bodies of dead humans, and Arthas is such a prominent figure I can't help associating them to him as the iconic Lich King.)
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Hhmmmm! I've been liking reading people's thoughts on this!

Orc: Shaman - it's the obvious one, but orc shamans have always come up first when I think of what a shaman is. The connection to raw, powerful elements when combined with orc bloodlust and the connection to wolves just can't be disconnected.
Tauren: Druid, Hunter, Paladin - again, pretty obvious! I know night elves were the original druids, but tauren have that down to earth connection with nature that really hits me. Also, I like their druid forms the most. :,) As for hunters- I especially associate them with spear based combat and muskets- survival or MM with an eagle all the way. As for paladins- I adore the concept of Sunwalkers, even if the game hasn't really done them justice. It's just such a strong mental image.
Troll: Weirdly enough, I don't associate them with any set class so much as a blend. Warlock, rogue, hunter and monk all stand out to me- a blend of them all that becomes something like a Shadow Hunter. Monks are definitely up there, though, with how agile and lanky trolls are!
Forsaken: Totally warlock. It's just too obvious. That said, rogues fit the bill pretty well too, and I've always associated them pretty strongly with death knights! It's probably the whole death part.
Blood elf: Paladin all the way- my first association with blood elves was their introducing paladins to the Horde, and I always adored their aesthetics. Blood knights always intrigued me, and it's an association I can't break.
Goblin: Hunter- not so much the 'friend of beasts' kind of hunter so much as the opportunistic poacher, with an opportunistic pet that reaps the benefits. Think a poacher and their pet hyena! Gritty and oil smudged, making money with just as few morals as the beast world.

Pandaren: Monk and priest, oddly enough- priests not as servants of the Light, but rather the concept of tranquility. I've always connected them with the wardens of emotional balance, so a shadow priest could be channeling the Sha, and a holy/Disc priest would be bringing a healing tranquility to the battlefield.

Human: Hunter and Paladin- pretty basic. The 'male human paladin' trope is too saturated into the world to avoid it, but I always liked the idea of human hunters- your basic run of the mill person with a gun and a dog, out to bring home a deer for the family.
Dwarf: Shaman, Paladin and Hunter- they get lots to account for the different types of dwarf! All dwarves strike me as shamanistic, with bronzebeards and Dark Iron having their strong connection to fire and the earth, and Wildhammer with storms, water and sky. Paladin just- seems right, for some reason. And hunter, of course, because I hardly know anyone who's rolled a dwarf without at some point rolling one as a hunter :lol: including myself, with my hunter main! That said, I pretty strongly associate female dwarves with hunters, especially.
Gnome: Rogue and Mage- I can't exactly see these little dudes being bigtime melee fighters, what with their ability to be gently picked up and blocked from combat by a short hedge, but I've always thought they'd be good at finding ways around that. Strong magic or using poison among them!
Night elf: Demon hunter and druid- okay, the demon hunter one is too obvious and druid isn't much better. I've never connected well with night elves, but they were the very first druids and all- it's so sewn into their culture that the association is impossible to avoid.
Draenei: Priest and Paladin- the Light connection is just too strong for these guys. I especially like it for the potential dark side to both classes, however- with Shadow priests existing, and Paladins having the capability to go way too far for what they feel is 'right'. Draenei are a complicated race with some serious moral issues, and I like that hidden nastiness.
Worgen: Hunter- honestly, another race that I tend to blend stuff together for. Certainly hunter, much for the same reason as humans, but at the same time I can't really see a lot of animals wanting to befriend a wolf-man. Druid, but not the normal type of druid. They're presented as so domestic that it's hard to say!

apparently basically everyone is a hunter but nobody is a warrior. what's a warrior. I've never heard of them

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

@Snope:
I didn't say that noone else could be Monks.
I just think that monks are so new to the other races culture that they can't be iconic for them, that is why I said Pandaran are a no-brainer for Monks.
Maybe compare it to meeting a Bhuddist in the western world. Sure, everyone can believe what he wants but a Bhuddist will still be the odd one out in western countries. Know what I mean?

And also, your little mistake about Death Knights has been cleared up by Vephriel already.
Yep, Orc spirits but in dead Human Paladins bodies, if I remember correctly.

Also I think it is very interesting to see so many people thinking of Orc Shamans and Tauren Druids as iconic. True, shamanism originates from the orcish culture, but I see them more as the "medicine man" of their clans and not so widely spread. As with Druids, am I wrong or didn't Tauren only learn the way of nature from the Night Elves?
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Karathyriel wrote:As with Druids, am I wrong or didn't Tauren only learn the way of nature from the Night Elves?
You're right! As far as I remember, anyway.

Honestly, my takes on what races/classes seem "right" together has far less to do with what the lore says they should be and more to do with what just feels right. Tauren might not be the core, original druids, but they live so close to nature that it feels right for them- it's certainly different than how I see night elf druidism, though! I've always appreciated the idea that each race would have a different take on each class, based on their own culture. Sure, tauren and night elves are both great druids- but a night elf, to me, has more connection to the mechanics of it- the teachings of Cenarius, the great trees, the stars. A tauren is one step removed from all that, and has a bit more of a spirituality to it, detaching from the trees and instead taking a more personal approach. Maybe less of a connection to the great animal spirits themselves, but more to the animals around them.

But honestly I'm a lore-bender, so most of my thoughts on all this are gunna be a touch off-canon!

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

My perceptions of iconic race/class combos aren't so much based on the "original" lore to these races as it is a combination of lore seen in World of Warcraft and things I've seen in cinematics and the like. :) Besides, I like seeing how differently people determine their idea of "iconic."

[/center]
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Hm, so you say you see the Tauren Druid a bit like the Tauren Paladin?
Having the same engine mechanics but a completely different idea behind them?
Interesting, because I only ever did that with the Paladins and even Blood Elves have always been Blood Knights using magic instead of being holy-light wielding warriors of faith.

As a long time role player (32 years of pen & paper) I probably pay more attentin to the actual lore than most of the average WoW player, I'd wager.
Maybe that is why I see things so differently. (I know, a lot of you guys agree with mee on a lot of things!)
For example the new melee Hunter style: As much as I find it ridiculous with most races, I absolutely love it with Tauren.
And yeah, I admit it, Tauren have been my first love, instead of some Night Elves, I started with a Tauren Warrior!
Maybe Vephriel remembers that my Blood Elf Hunter Karathyriel even had a Tauren background.
It took me actually more tha 3 years before I thought about even touching an Alliance toon: My beloved Dwarf Hunter Aldert Copperbeard and his white bear Yori, who both never passed lvl 40.

All of my characters had a backstory, even if they've never been played in role play situations. As much as i still love the Tauren and their lore, in role plays I prefer Trolls now.
I love them and their lore to death and they're so cool.

But back to topic: What race/class combos do you prefer to play? (Or see them running around in Azeroth!)
thelifeofapanca

Unread post by thelifeofapanca »

Great stuff guys!
Ramsey
Realm: Burning Legion/ Argent Dawn

Unread post by Ramsey »

Horde :

-Orc - warrior/shaman

Tauren -hunter/shaman/druid

Troll- hunter/shaman/ Loa priest (or voodoo) although I like that for each class there is a spin for them. Like for warlocks to be rather hexxers with affliction and destruction tree.

Goblin - rogue

Undead - rogue/warlock

Belf -warlock /mage

I believe shaman truly fits only 3 original Horde races as they truly embrace what shaman is truly about, so not only elementalist but a spiritual leader of the tirbe. With Belves, there was a huge thing for them to become warlocks and get involved with fel, they have green eyes for a reason, and fel crystals are still everywhere in Silvermoon.

Alliance :

human - paladin

dwarf - paladin/hunter

night elf - druid/priest/ hunter

Worgen - rogue

Space Goat (xD)- priest/ paladin.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Demon Hunter
Night Elf

Death Knight
Unholy Orc
Blood Human
Frost Dwarf

Druid
Feral Troll
Guardian Night Elf
Restoration Tauren
Balance Worgen