Un'Goro Devilsaur Investigation

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
PrimalTazza
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Un'Goro Devilsaur Investigation

Unread post by PrimalTazza »

So, I saw on Wowhead that devilsaurs in Un'Goro now scale up in level. I got curious and had a friend fly a low-level hunter out there after confirming on my main that they were scaling.

Unfortunately, the fun stops here. They only scale UP, not down, they could not be tamed on my level 29 hunter and their levels still showed up as ??

Was just something I was curious about and wanted to look into in case anyone else might have been curious.

Art of my character Tazza by Isei! http://isei-silva.tumblr.com

Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Re: Un'Goro Devilsaur Investigation

Unread post by Lupen202 »

I'm still curious why they even did this... I know the mini holiday is coming up, but why not just make them scale during that? Of course I'm just always hoping there's more to things xD

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard, Hati's Realm

Unread post by Iowawolf »

Reminds me of the Silithus disaster where during the mini thing mobs scaled to our level but after was all said and done they still are same level which for low levels questing there going to be one pain in the you know what to make it worse I read Blizzard said it is intentional they now scale.

I like the scaling in Legion content but for them to start making old world content scale in a way ruins the fun cause I am one of those who goes back to old stuff and at 110 blow everything away.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

I like being able to kill things easily at 110, too. However, there are those that would like to be able to lvl via questing and not end up reaching a level above the current zone they are in.

Either way, Blizz has stated numerous times that they intend to implement scaling to all old content. Whether it'll be forced or you can turn it off is left to be seen.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

If it's not just for the holiday then it is odd :/

I hope they don't implement scaling game-wide. Being able to overpower old content is one of the most fun perks of working hard at your character. And while I appreciate some of the benefits of scaling in the Broken Isles, I felt it also added a layer of futility to levelling. As you levelled (and so did your opponents) and your gear failed to increase at the same rate it actually felt like you were getting weaker with each level. I didn't think it was a fun experience.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

We'll have to see what they do. There is a chance they'll allow you to turn it off for old content, but they do intend to add scaling to the entire game. What is for certain is scaling being in future content.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

As a die hard altoholic, I would love for level scaling to happen in old content so I can have a little more freedom in how I level. That being said, I'd appreciate if said scaling stopped after each expansion's level cap (ie old content scales to a max of level 60, BC to 70, etc.) or for the scaling to not be in effect once you're max level, as I feel the same as others; once I'm max level I just want to blow through all that crap to get to what I need/where I'm going.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:As a die hard altoholic, I would love for level scaling to happen in old content so I can have a little more freedom in how I level. That being said, I'd appreciate if said scaling stopped after each expansion's level cap (ie old content scales to a max of level 60, BC to 70, etc.) or for the scaling to not be in effect once you're max level, as I feel the same as others; once I'm max level I just want to blow through all that crap to get to what I need/where I'm going.
This is how I feel as well in regards to scaling, if they were to implement it on a grander scale. Hard caps that match the appropriate max level would be a good way to do it I think, so you can always end up outleveling old zones eventually, but while you're actively progressing through that particular expansion's content you have a lot more options for questing paths.

I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about scaling originally, but so far I've really enjoyed it in regards to leveling up alts with friends. No matter what level each of us is, we know we can just team up and go in anywhere and it'll all match to us. It's really fantastic and it would be nice to see in older zones especially just to give us that freedom of choosing our own path.

But I definitely agree that I wouldn't want everything to scale indefinitely, trivializing old content IS a huge perk of leveling a character and a nice reprieve when you can run around unaccosted in zones. It would be tiring to have the entire game match your level at all times, I don't want to have to worry about fighting things everywhere I go. The devilsaurs are kind of a fun idea though, I have to admit. It makes sense that you should still have to watch your back while in Un'goro. :D
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:That being said, I'd appreciate if said scaling stopped after each expansion's level cap (ie old content scales to a max of level 60, BC to 70, etc.) or for the scaling to not be in effect once you're max level, as I feel the same as others; once I'm max level I just want to blow through all that crap to get to what I need/where I'm going.

I hope it works like that if it does happen because... I can't describe how much I hate scaling lol. It was tolerable for leveling in broken isles, but once I'm at cap it's just... Super annoying and ruins my feeling "powerful at cap". Can't really describe it well, since it's more of a personal point of view/experience

But on topic... I wonder if anything can/will happen with that devilsaur egg in shalaran during this mini event? :o

PrimalTazza
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by PrimalTazza »

Rikaku wrote:But on topic... I wonder if anything can/will happen with that devilsaur egg in shalaran during this mini event? :o
I hope so. I have this ugly little feeling that it may just be a loose end that devs never got to wrap up... or it could have something to do with 7.2.

I mean, Su'esh already did a pretty good job demolishing part of a city, I'd say her or her children could potentially produce similar results when unleashed against a certain shore crawling with demons.

Art of my character Tazza by Isei! http://isei-silva.tumblr.com

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I'm a bit bummed that we don't get an acheive for these mini holidays. Don't get me wrong I love them! but I wish we got at least something from them ;-; Greedy Cow is greedy
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

I think they should do game wide scaling. I mean like the 1-60 zones should scale 1-60 so my lvl 20 can do quests in Blastedlands if she wanted to or any other zone between 1-60. BC content should scale 60-70 and Northrend 70-80 so on and so forth. This would make questing fun again and people wouldn't just stand in town at level 15-90. Also it would make questing worth while knowing you are not going to out level a zone half way through the quest line. :D :mrgreen:

Bristlenose
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Bristlenose »

I figured this was part of the Un'Goro mini event too but since there is absolutely nothing permanant about it, not even achievements, I have been ignoring them for the most part. Though if it is permanant, I wonder what their reasoning would be for Devilsaurs and only Devilsaurs to scale up.
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

The problem with "infinitely scaling mobs in the old world" is that the hard exp caps for each expansion still exist. As soon as you hit level 60/70/80/85/90/100, quests and mobs in the zones for the expansion you just "out-leveled" give you (I think it's) a tenth of the exp you would normally get. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me that Un'goro will now always be harder to do and you'll get rewarded less for it just because there's a micro-holiday there once a year. Things take just as long to kill at 58 as they did at 53, but quests reward less experience cos they're "green" now and as soon as you hit 60 there's just no point? I dunno, man.

Silithus is more of an issue than Un'goro since UG's scaling is just the devilsaurs (iirc) whereas Silithus is the entire zone, but as someone on a PvP server I haven't seen much actual benefit to these micro-holidays yet so my cup is decidedly half empty. The theory is sound, but the impact on the game as a whole seems like it's gonna be pretty negative if the effect of the holiday lasts all year and nothing is changed to compensate that.
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Like the quests in the Broken Isles, the xp would scale up (to the cap lvl of that continent.) this is just one of those things that we'll just have to wait and see what Blizz does.

As for the Micro Holidays, there isn't a reward to them except fun. Blizz implemented them to make then world more alive; not to give us more achieves or something.
NazzyDragon
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Emerald Dream (US)

Unread post by NazzyDragon »

I wish we could CHOOSE to have our level scale to the zone, instead. Making everything scale to 60 max would kill mog farming, among other things.

(Click image for Hunter!)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Soo.. they created a level 113 elite wasp in The Slithering Scar and they named it "Cltuchmother Zavas". Yes, the same name as the rare silithid in the same hive.

It's not the same ID as they're both up at the same time here. :P Gonna report this as a bug.
evil950510
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Alleria

Unread post by evil950510 »

This was not a bug on the ptr servers she was using the name, so Blizzard either just left it as such or its suppose to be a "this is what she became now" http://www.wowhead.com/news=261293/ungo ... live-eu-us
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Well, with the emphasis on doing dungeons, raids, and PvP in this expansion, if Blizzard decide to scale all old world zones as well with the next or in a patch, then that will be the final push for me to stop playing WoW. I've played since Vanilla, and gone through the good and bad, but this would be the last straw for me. It would just make the game not fun for me. I already loathe having to go into Suramar City and that all the content at level 110 requires you to do it.

My impression is that Blizzard has suddenly stopped listening to the more casual players and is trying to suck up to the more "hard core" players who bitch and whine constantly that things are "too easy".

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

It seems that it's only Devilsaurs that have been changed to scaling level. I guess because devilsaurs are supposed to be a bit more titanic and badass than regular mobs. I'm ok with that. The stegodons, diemetradons and pterrordaxes remain low level.

I checked all the devilsaur NPCs in the zone except for the rare, King Mosh. All except the Devilsaur Queen now scale to 110. Maybe they left the Queen because they were scared to interfere too much with a low level quest mob.

If you come cross King Mosh could you please confirm he scales to 110 now? :)

Also, I checked Tyrantus in Netherstorm and he's still 71. I tried Slavermaw in Searing Gorge but she wasn't up. I just wondered if maybe they'd boosted devilsaurs everywhere but hadn't documented. It seems not.