Actual dark nights now available thanks to a DMF potion!!

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Actual dark nights now available thanks to a DMF potion!!

Unread post by Vephriel »

A sneaky little addition with 7.2, Rona Greenteeth (the undead vendor out in the woods at Darkmoon Faire) now sells something called the Inky Black Potion. These are not soulbound, they only costs about 3g each, and they give you a 2 hour buff that lets you see the world as true nighttime.

It's absolutely gorgeous. This is the kind of night that I want in game, and I'm secretly hoping that maybe this is testing the waters for them to add an option some time down the road? It's not just a dark filter, fires and glowing objects cast light and it's just....well, stunning in my opinion. :D I bought like 500 of them so I can keep this up often.

Here's what the faire itself looks like with the buff applied, I actually feel like I'm entering a proper night carnival now!

and some shots of Hillsbrad Foothills

There's a bunch more screenshot examples on the Wowhead page too!
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Actual dark nights now available thanks to a DMF potion!

Unread post by Bowno »

Wish they would just add a toggle in the Preferences instead of making it an item. But... This is a step in the right direction I guess!

Siggy under construction!

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Bowno wrote:Wish they would just add a toggle in the Preferences instead of making it an item. But... This is a step in the right direction I guess!
I absolutely agree, but honestly with the length of the buff and how cheap these are, it's not hard to keep it on permanently if you want to. :D And if it's popular enough maybe it will convince them to add a toggle in the interface settings!

I understand not everyone wants to play in a dark game world, and that's one of the reasons they lightened up nighttimes in the first place in consideration of timezones, but with this new tech I don't think it would be difficult to let individuals choose whether or not they want to see it. God I would love if this became the new default appearance for in-game night, it's what I've wanted for years.

*crossing my fingers* Until then though, I am happily stocked with thousands of these and they should last me until next DMF at the least. :lol:
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

Agreed that it should be an interaface option. The lighting in games is so important, and wows nights have had nothing on other games. But this potion definitely changes that.

I hope they continue to focus a bit on appearances. I still would pick a cosmetic mini patch over another raid tier any day. Update the old tree models and bushes, fix nights, worgen and goblin updates, tattoos, scars, war paint, new hairstyles and piercings. Updated models for the vanilla creatures and mounts that still lack it (I'd also love for the lighting on the fiery mounts to give off light like fires do, ex. Fiery warhorse's hooves giving off a green glow that reflects off the landscape/other players)

It'd be cool if the skyboxes and weather got an overhaul too. Like updated fog and rain storms in old zones.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |