Mage Tower challenge look strategy discussion

Everything Hunter-related, except pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Mage Tower challenge look strategy discussion

Unread post by pop »

I was wondering if any petopians have successfully procure any of the hunter's challenge look?

I've tried BM's Fall of the Feltotem, and I have trouble juggling Tugar and the worm; mainly I die from the invisible poison gas cloud. Having said, my hunter at that time only has 1 legendary (the root pants) as I haven't finish the research since I've decided to do it on a new toon. I just got Prydaz a few hours ago and I hope that + healing from the pants could get me the challenge look, that is , if everyone on NA wants that building ever again because a lot of the things there benefit top raiders, unlike the other 2 buildings.

I've managed to kill Tugar but I think that was just lucky and died by the worm anyway.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Re: Mage Tower challenge look strategy discussion

Unread post by Rikaku »

From what I've read and seen, the gas cloud will hit you if you wander "too far" from the intended battlefield spot from what I'm seeing. If you stay on the platform where the tent and cooking pot is, you won't encounter it. Despite how the scenario looks, you're not really intended to use the entire platforms. Just that one with the cooking pot.

I got to about 50% but that's the lowest I've got the fight. I used a Shale Spider in Tenacity spec. I also swapped my usual legendaries to use the Pants (good heal) and the voodoo helm (feign death to regain HP every 30 secs). From what it looks like, you have to focus Tugar until the worm loses all his scale buffs; then you wanna equalize their HP. I read that if one dies, the other gets an enraged buff. Some guides said that the pants + prydaz neck will allow you to survive the enrage if Tugar dies (thus you're fighting the worm only). But I haven't got that far yet.

Personally my struggle is interrupting every Fel Burst Tugar casts. I have Intimidate and Counter shot on CD alternating shots, but there's always *one* cast at the 50% mark that seems to go off just a sec or 2 before my Counter Shot comes off CD.

It's doable, but leaves very little room for error. And I can't imagine how difficult it would be without at least one legendary, esp. the pants. From the BM guides I read from people who completed it, the one thing they all had in common was the pants and its healing ability being very useful.

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Rikaku wrote:From what I've read and seen, the gas cloud will hit you if you wander "too far" from the intended battlefield spot from what I'm seeing. If you stay on the platform where the tent and cooking pot is, you won't encounter it. Despite how the scenario looks, you're not really intended to use the entire platforms. Just that one with the cooking pot.

I got to about 50% but that's the lowest I've got the fight. I used a Shale Spider in Tenacity spec. I also swapped my usual legendaries to use the Pants (good heal) and the voodoo helm (feign death to regain HP every 30 secs). From what it looks like, you have to focus Tugar until the worm loses all his scale buffs; then you wanna equalize their HP. I read that if one dies, the other gets an enraged buff. Some guides said that the pants + prydaz neck will allow you to survive the enrage if Tugar dies (thus you're fighting the worm only). But I haven't got that far yet.

Personally my struggle is interrupting every Fel Burst Tugar casts. I have Intimidate and Counter shot on CD alternating shots, but there's always *one* cast at the 50% mark that seems to go off just a sec or 2 before my Counter Shot comes off CD.

It's doable, but leaves very little room for error. And I can't imagine how difficult it would be without at least one legendary, esp. the pants. From the BM guides I read from people who completed it, the one thing they all had in common was the pants and its healing ability being very useful.

Thank you for this. I was so perplexed as why I kept dying.

Anyway, some have left tips and it seems timing interrupt, staying within the encounter, juggling mob health, avoiding stuff, time warp, heal are all required

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=45627/felt ... id=2482578
Miacoda
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

Wowhead has a good strat down already. I haven't attempted it yet but the third interrupt will come from your freezing trap.

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=45627/felt ... l#comments

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Miacoda wrote:Wowhead has a good strat down already. I haven't attempted it yet but the third interrupt will come from your freezing trap.

And finally a use for intimidation
Pokcmvmxckm
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Sen'jin NA

Unread post by Pokcmvmxckm »

If you have Prydaz and Roots of Saladrassil the fight becomes trivial, like, the Worm can't damage you and you out heal his basic attacks. You still need to interrupt the Fel Burst as well as kite the worm in to the rocks, I also found that my Beast cleave was more then enough to deal with the Eggs. Also, don't Feign death, he will despawn, even if he is attacking your pet.
Bonita
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind (A), Nesingwary (H),

Unread post by Bonita »

A nice tip to add is to use a Dire Horn pet and use it's ability. I alternated between it and my interrupt. Once you kill the Tauren it's basically a win as long as you outlive the worm.

Sig made by Iggypuff
Credit to Sookie, Kurenio, Thorka and Karin for the amazing sigs they made me and Kurenio, Thorka and Seilahyn for the awesome avatars.
Flight Rising!

NazzyDragon
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Emerald Dream (US)

Unread post by NazzyDragon »

Bonita wrote:A nice tip to add is to use a Dire Horn pet and use it's ability. I alternated between it and my interrupt. Once you kill the Tauren it's basically a win as long as you outlive the worm.
...This is clever.

I would also like to add that my BM friends have said that trap can be used as a fake interrupt if you need.

I'm not sure if I'll do the BM one this round, but I got my survival one yesterday and OH MY SWEET BABY JESUS was it tough. 905 iLv. Spent 5 hours on him. I feel like melee gets the short end o' the stick here... lol. :shock:

(Click image for Hunter!)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

I made a weakaura to make a loud noise any time my focus was casting Fel Burst, and made sure to set the tauren to my focus before starting the encounter—even though he was my first kill target, I would occasionally react too slowly to his cast if I was also dodging the instadeath spikes at the same time. If I'd gone another couple rounds without beating it, I may have made two—one to make a noise if counter shot was on cooldown, because the travel time on freezing trap was mostly what was killing me. I ultimately didn't need to make a second one because I changed my priority (and my freezing trap hotkey) so that I would always go for the trap first; if the targetting reticule didn't work because IT was on cooldown, counter shot was my second choice.

(I was also using a macro that prioritizes interrupting my focus target over my target-target if I have a focus and it's an alive enemy, but that macro hasn't left my counter shot spot on my bars since like... cataclysm, but it definitely helped if I was targetting adds when he started a cast, lol In retrospect, an @player macro for freezing trap would probably have been handy too, but I was working on the assumption that I WOULDN'T let my pet die.)

He still got off a couple shots and killed my pet a couple times, but luckily once he was on me it reduced the trap travel time. I was... 903 equipped with Prydaz and Mantle of Command equipped (I swapped my ring out for the base 850 version of the kara quest ring, cos that's all I had and I wanted Prydaz). In retrospect, having a spirit beast out the whole time instead of a nether ray (whose heroism I didn't even use for the first half) might have been smart too, ugh. I was also using Dire Frenzy (for getting more aggro back onto my pet more quickly—feign death does NOT work to drop aggro) so the whole thing was pretty not-fantastic.

I'm not looking forward to doing either of the other ones, since I'm just shy of my first gold trait in my MM weapon (an accidental token spend when taking screenshots to complain about how pretty MM's weapons are compared to BM's, lol), and have only the freebie point in my SV weapon, so I may just put those off until I've actually got feathermanes and stuff. Hopefully the skin variants work the same way the original hidden artifact skin variants did, and I won't have to e.g. win 10 RBGs per spec.
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

I ended up having to give up because I caught a cold. ._. Awesome. I'm hoping getting past 888 ilevel will help me next go-around.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Aggannor
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: EU Wildhammer

Unread post by Aggannor »

So, I somehow managed to complete the BM version, despite my pet dying (thought I rezed him), multible small worms spewing acid everywhere and my hands shaking like crazy. One of the hardest things I've ever done in the game, so I'm glad it's now done.

For those interested, I had 900 item level, shoulder and waist legendarys, and spirit beast in tank speck (I will explain later). Used consumables were stamina flask (later), rune and Fighter's Chow food (I'm a troll, so this let me regenerate about 0,25% of health every second).

Because I had some trouble with interrupting every second cast with trap, I started to use a strategy where I interrupted every second cast and let my pet eat every other with Misdirection's damage reduction, thought even with tank speck and stamina boost, my pet got almost one-shot every time. This didn't of course work once my pet died and boss began to follow me, but luckily I had [@player] macro for trap ready to go for this situation, as trapping became much more easy once the boss is on top of you. I had weakaura to warn me about Fel Burst casts, and I macroed my Cobra Shot to target totems as a priority, allowing me to focus more on other things. Then, it was only a matter of time, till I got a pull where everything just clicked.

Also, kill the big worm first when tauren is at or below 10%, much easier that way.
Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

Do not attempt it on benadryl. I blew up the Tauren in one shot on accident, then ran around for several minutes until the worm exploded me.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Shadowkaizen
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Earthen Ring

Unread post by Shadowkaizen »

Just thought I would put my two cents in....

I do not have the legs or neck legendary and I only had the helm (which isn't as good i'm told) yet I was still able to do it despite not being ilevel 900 or above. I was kind of discouraged at first when I heard it required certain legendaries and a high item level but I decided that after 10 years as playing the same class and spec I had earned the right to try.

I did many, many attempts (like around 60) and I was finally able to do it by learning every single nuance of the fight. Towards the end I had become so familiar with it I could anticipate the moves before they happened and even with perfect timing one mess up is enough to cost you it almost.

One of the biggest things I had to learn is that it is not a DPS race but a test of patience and awareness. When I slowed down and started to concentrate on what I needed to interrupt or dodge my attempts became steadily better. As time goes on the only thing that will make it harder is the amount of small worms that spawn with each avalanche (however they are still pretty easy to down swiftly.) Here are some things I learned that I hope will help below:

1. DPS Tugar and the worm as evenly as you can.
2. Keep the smaller worms down and some cleave can help here. *(Remember he will cast his deadly fel attack during this phase.)
3. learn the casts and amount of casts he does before he goes into the next phase each time (the avalanche phase.)
4. When he is going to cast avalanche move off to the far side of the cave from where you came in and dodge the big worm as it charges you. (Sometimes he will actually cleave through the rocks on the far side on the first charge! Yay!)
5. If you can, make sure the interrupt you use after the avalanche phase is the Ice Trap one as this may give you a few precious seconds on the worm uncontested.
6. Don't bother DPSing the large worm until after the 3rd avalanche as the stacks of armor negate your effort. (this also depends on how good you are at making him run through the rocks in each phase that he is burrowed. If you are perfect, his scales will drop quicker and you can start attacking him earlier. If he is at 1 or two stacks go ahead and attack and cleave with Tugar near him if you can. )
7. When the Tugar is finally down and its just you and the worm remember that you CAN still interrupt his biggest attack with Intimidate and Ice Trap.)

In closing the only thing I can say is don't give up and believe in your skill as a hunter and a player. The things you have learned over the years should help you eventually conquer this and of course as our gear gets stronger this fight will become easier. I don't know if this will help anyone but hopefully it will inspire you get back on that horse and try again.

Good luck everyone! :D
The shadows are my ally...and so is that large wolf behind you.
Nyth
Realm: Draenor

Unread post by Nyth »

pop wrote:
Miacoda wrote:Wowhead has a good strat down already. I haven't attempted it yet but the third interrupt will come from your freezing trap.

And finally a use for intimidation
A few ways to handle the spell:

1) Countershot. This should be your main interrupt, it's easy, fast and reliable. Best thing to do is either set Tugar as your focus and use a focus interrupt; IMO the best idea, since the macro is good to have for other situations as well. (+ once you get to the worm, you can simply set the worm as your focus and use the same keybinds)
(/cast [@focus] Counter Shot; Counter Shot)
Or simply make it so it automatically targets Tugar without the need of a focus. Works just fine as well without the need of a focus. Just delete the macro once you're done with the scenario.
(/cast [@Tugar] Counter Shot)

2) Intimidation
Longer cooldown, but pretty reliable and also practically instant. Again a focus macro here would be nice, or simply target Tugar directly again.

3) Freezing Trap
Shorter cooldown than Intimidation, but also trickier to land. You need to manually target and the trap has a noticeable travel time. That makes this really hard to land reliable at times if you're not on the ball.

4) Pet defensive.
You don't actually have to interrupt the cast, your pet can soak it. It will need some defensives though, so lets go over what we have:
a) Misdirection. Misdirect on the pet will give it 35% damage reduction for 8 seconds due to our Artifact Trait (Hunter's Advantage)
b) Pet type ability. Here you have two choices, either pick a pet with the ability to reduce damage by 50% for 12 seconds; or use a Direhorn with a spell deflect.
c) Aspect of the Beast. A lot of people seem to forget that we have this talent as BM. But pick this with a tenacity pet and your pet will take 30% reduced damage for 6 seconds after a kill command. The only trick here is that this buff isn't 100% active, so you really need to pay attention that you don't get caught in a situation where you can't trigger AotB when he's casting Fel Burst.

You only really need 2 of these, as stacking 2 gives your pet at least 55% damage reduction (AotB + MD) any other combination reduces even more, all of them are plenty to soak the Fel Burst.
Alternatively you can combine all 3, because he really should only be casting Fel Burst every 35-40 seconds or so. That means that between Counter Shot and your pet defensives you have plenty to work with.

I personally think that Freezing Trap is the worst option here, and is better preserved as backup for a quick breather.
I think Intimidation and Counter Shot are the easiest to use, since you can simply focus cast those.
Alternatively you can rely on Counter Shot and Pet defensives to soak fel bursts, which leaves you with 2 CCs you can use whenever you feel like it (e.g. when eggs spawn to give you a little wiggle room).

---

I personally haven't attempted it. I'm ilvl 900ish but I don't have any healing legendaries. It should be doable without as long as you simply avoid damage, so I might try it at some point.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Managed to beat it tonight, ilvl 896 with turtle (ferocity spec). I did have two legendaries, prydaz and roots, but I would say that it didn't make it an "insta-win" or anything. Still took me an additional 5 tries tonight ontop of the many attempts last time tower was up. Personally I followed Bendak's guide on Wowhead, which was insanely helpful as it provided weakaura imports and macros to help fine tune some of my weaker areas.

I will say that even with the healing legendaries, its still a very busy fight. The only time it felt 'easy' is when I finally got Tugar down and just had to deal with the worm. Even then though, I had to use Intimidate, Freezing Trap, and Turtle (for any screeches I couldn't stop).

I didn't use freezing trap to interrupt Fel Burst casts. I just simply couldn't time it well enough. So I stuck to the guide's method of using a turtle's shell shield + misdirection buff. Anytime I saw that both Counter Shot and Intimidate was on CD, I would ready myself to hit the shell shield+MD. As soon as he'd begin casting, I'd hit it, let the pet eat the burst and Tortos would still have a pretty good chunk of health left. I'd just heal him back up and rinse and repeat.

I would said the best advice (beyond the actual guide) is just stay calm. There's a LOT going on in the fight, and it's easy to get a bit 'overwhelmed' style of thinking or 'tunnel vision'. It does take some getting used to, but the more you practice the more you'll get used to seeing just how things play out and learn the timing.

Bendak's guide on Wowhead:
http://www.wowhead.com/beast-mastery-hu ... -challenge

Also, Aukatos made a visual guide/video of the fight, which I thought was also pretty helpful. It does show the method of "kill the worm first", which is slightly different than the guide. But the guide still discusses it a bit. Personally I did the "kill Tugar first" method like the guide. But, the video is still a really good showcase of the fight, esp. for those who haven't seen it yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDe4Ahi ... e=youtu.be

Just as a personal note: If you use the Weakauras import from Bendak's guide, note that the "felburst cast" import/WA is SUPER loud. It's very helpful, but I wanted to give a heads up that it is really loud and jarring, it scared the crap out of me when it first went off in the fight. So just in case, be sure to also acquaint yourself with the WA (unlike me XD) before the fight so you don't run into a wall going "OMG WHAT WAS THAT" at your own addons lol