Fenryr can be tamed!

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
sasrei7
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Re: Fenryr can be tamed!

Unread post by sasrei7 »

Awesome that it can be tamed but my skills as a hunter... um yah lol. So looks like i'll be waiting awhile to get much better gear lol. Guild is no longer raiding so looks like i'll just have to wait awhile for lfr to come out.
jmaster299

Unread post by jmaster299 »

Been maining a Hunter since Wrath, and just now registered here to post about this to try and help other people out. Downing Fenryr was a pain, but just like the Mage Tower challenge, which I did already too, it's all about seeing the fight enough times to know when best to use different abilities. I have several different legendaries, including the shoulders, but chose to approach this fight with the legs and the ring. The legs for the heal, but you do not need double healing legendaries because the damage you take is not severe, and the ring because it allows my pet to have the passive benefits of all 3 specs, while being in the active tanking spec and doing extra damage.

I learned it's best to actually send your pet to attack Fenryr and stand near him and lust and blow through all your CDs to start, but don't cast MD at the start. Then when he does the howl to summon the adds, that's when you MD. And continue to MD each time he summons the adds, and try to stand near him when they spawn. That helps to keep the adds off you. MD also causes your pet to take 35% less damage for a 8 seconds, so it's good to cast it even if you don't need it for the aggro, because he is going to take the most damage when those adds are up. So when he summons those adds, that's also when you want to use the different defensive CDs on your pet, in this case I used a turtle. First wave of adds I cast the Shell Shield, second wave I cast the tanking spec active Last Stand. Your pet will likely die on the their wave, that's when you pop your own Aspect of the Turtle, res your pet, and send him to attack everything. You can cast Mend Pet with Aspect of the Turtle up. Then FD followed by MD.

You are going to have to be moving throughout all this during Scent of Blood, I just had the path back to where you first fight him cleared so I had a straight line to walk back. Even if you are near Fenryr when he goes to cast Scent of Blood, your Disengage is more than enough to keep him from catching you. You should be casting Mend Pet on CD, but during Scent of Blood is the best chance for your pet to recover health.

My normal ilvl is 907, with the ring and legs equipped it was only 906, and have 45 traits in my weapon. I used flask, mastery food and a rune. I did not use a pot though as I had been using Invis pots to deal with the trash out in the hallway. Required 3 attempts with this build and strat.
Sebinox
Realm: Silvermoon

Unread post by Sebinox »

Managed to tame this beast on my hunter, post fix; It took a couple of tries, even for my 901 level.

Has anyone else got a problem when Hati is Fenryr that it gets very very small? I noticed that if I cast Mend Pet, it usually just becomes small as a pup.
Any way to fix this? I want my Hati to be a big bad wolf.
jmaster299

Sebinox wrote:Managed to tame this beast on my hunter, post fix; It took a couple of tries, even for my 901 level.

Has anyone else got a problem when Hati is Fenryr that it gets very very small? I noticed that if I cast Mend Pet, it usually just becomes small as a pup.
No, I have him set to Hati and he's normal wolf size. Did you ever use Glyph of Lesser Proportion at any point?
Sebinox
Realm: Silvermoon

Unread post by Sebinox »

jmaster299 wrote:
Sebinox wrote:Managed to tame this beast on my hunter, post fix; It took a couple of tries, even for my 901 level.

No, I have him set to Hati and he's normal wolf size. Did you ever use Glyph of Lesser Proportion at any point?
Yes, but only on one of my pets, my Core Hound. Does it affect Hati one way or another? How do I disable the Glyph?

This is how my Mini Hati looks like : http://i.imgur.com/CxlgBU7.jpg
jmaster299

Sebinox wrote:
jmaster299 wrote:

Yes, but only on one of my pets, my Core Hound. Does it affect Hati one way or another? How do I disable the Glyph?

This is how my Mini Hati looks like : http://i.imgur.com/CxlgBU7.jpg
The glyph is not per pet, if you use it all pets will be smaller. My guess is there is some bug related to that glyph that is making him even smaller than he should be. Since I am using Fenryr copied onto Hati with no issues, but I am not using the glyph. I don't know how you remove glyphs now after they were changed. When you use them they get applied to your spellbook and they stay there. You'll have to look up how to remove glyphs in Legion. If that alone doesn't fix it I would revert Hati back to his default appearance then copy him to look like Fenryr again. With the glyph gone he should look normal.
muajin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: argent dawn

Unread post by muajin »

i been hearing bout players having their fen pet nerfed into a normal wolf also. anyone else hearing this?
jmaster299

muajin wrote:i been hearing bout players having their fen pet nerfed into a normal wolf also. anyone else hearing this?
He's supposed to be a normal wolf size, but what that other guy posted is different. His is tiny, like a pup. Fen is just supposed to be a unique skin, not an oversize monster. Mine was normal sized when I tamed him, but I tamed him legit. So it's possible that people having sizing problems are people who got him via the bug, and whatever they did to patch that bug affected the size of their tames. But mine has been standard wolf size from the start. He just has the arrows sticking out of him, the glowing eyes and the runes and light up every so often.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

muajin wrote:i been hearing bout players having their fen pet nerfed into a normal wolf also. anyone else hearing this?
No ones has mentioned this here so far, and goes against what blizzard have posted as well.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/top ... 65#post-14

I believe someone has given you some miss information.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
jmaster299

SpiritBinder wrote:
No ones has mentioned this here so far, and goes against what blizzard have posted as well.

No, all Blizzard said was they wouldn't take Fen away from the people who cheesed it. All I'm hearing so far is that some people who cheesed it ended up with a boss sized Fenryr after they tamed him, which is not intended no matter how you got him, so they just shrunk him down to the appropriate size for a Hunter wolf pet. But he keeps his unique look. Because that's how they intended him to look, they never meant for people to be running around with boss sized wolf pets, and that post does not say they were going to get to keep boss sizef wolf pets.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

jmaster299 wrote: The glyph is not per pet, if you use it all pets will be smaller. My guess is there is some bug related to that glyph that is making him even smaller than he should be. Since I am using Fenryr copied onto Hati with no issues, but I am not using the glyph. I don't know how you remove glyphs now after they were changed. When you use them they get applied to your spellbook and they stay there. You'll have to look up how to remove glyphs in Legion. If that alone doesn't fix it I would revert Hati back to his default appearance then copy him to look like Fenryr again. With the glyph gone he should look normal.
Just a small correction, as of Legion the glyph is per pet, and in fact only applies to your first pet, the Call Pet 1 slot. You can verify this by opening up the call pet menu and noticing that the first pet icon will have the small pink indicator that a glyph is applied, as well as a 'Glyph of Lesser Proportion' note on hover-over. You can swap out which pet is affected by switching the order of them at a stable master. :)
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Tried again, 891 ilvl. Fenryr phase 2, still not even close, just rips through turtle. Need more math!
Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard, Hati's Realm

Unread post by Iowawolf »

I tamed my Fenryr the five man HoV reset way and just looked at her tonight after remembering this post and when I summoned her she was the same size and everything.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

jmaster299 wrote:
SpiritBinder wrote:

No, all Blizzard said was they would ............. boss size wolf pets.
Oh sorry, I was not referring to size, I believe that jmaster was referring to people whom had the Fenryr model prior to the hot fix, had their model changed into a normal wolf (In reference to the puppies being changed to a normal wolf also), which no one had reported.

The sizing inconsistencies that you're referring too, I'm not too sure, I didn't end up taming him before the hotfix :|

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Valka
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: WrA US

Unread post by Valka »

My Fenryr Hati is very small too.

Image Valka - Nagrand (US)

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

My guess would be that some people are confusing Fenryr and the wolf pup tames.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Kushtaka

Unread post by Kushtaka »

I have 51 attempts at taming Fenryr at ilvl 891/892 ish. How do I know it's been 51 tries? I had never wiped on mythic 0 Fenryr prior to these tame attempts so after every death, the game is nice enough to remind me how many times I've failed!! ;) Yea, the lowest ilvl I've seen anyone complete this tame is with 898 equipped and the right legendaries. The issues I am having are: my pet gets destroyed (yes, mend is up full time) and I cannot sustain the dps required to down Fenryr quickly and before I know it I'm am at the 6th wave of adds. The closest I can get him is 10%. I'll try again with a little more gear. :)
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Valka wrote:My Fenryr Hati is very small too.

Oh my gosh, he's adorable!

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Kich
Realm: Steamwheedle Cartel, Moonglade EU

Unread post by Kich »

I finally succeeded! ^^ Healing helmet and pants still as the legendaries, ilvl 896, all possible buff items, mastery enchants. Click for pic! So it is doable with less gear as well, just a very tough nut to crack. Good luck everyone!
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

It sounds like this is really only possible as BM? Kinda sucks since I've hardly touched Titanstrike. Well, not that it really matters since my ilvl is only 802. :lol: Grats to everyone who's gotten him! Sure is a neat wolf. IMO he's more interesting than most of the transparent spirit beasts.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.