Pets targetting and running to recently killed NPC

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Pets targetting and running to recently killed NPC

Unread post by Quiv »

I have noticed this behavior from time to time with my pet, and its a bit frustrating. I will kill some mobs, and for some reason my pet will target a dead one and run up to it for about 5 seconds, and then I'll drop combat and the pet will come to me. Anyone else run into this?

Forgive my UI, its in flux. I have Hati targetted here but you can see my pet right next to it, and they are targetting the dead NPC (Forsaken Deceiver). It happens at least once a day no matter where I am it seems.

Dysphoria
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Re: Pets targetting and running to recently killed NPC

Unread post by Dysphoria »

I have noticed this from time to time also. I think it's also responsible for an annoying issue where I am kept in combat long after the mob has died and nothing else around me has aggro.....
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I have noticed this at times too, though I can't find any reproducible conditions. Also pets standing back beside me (at range) while attacking, sometimes even facing the wrong way, or attacking the wrong NPC for extended periods despite having assist on. Though this seems to be more prevalent with Hati than with my real pet.

Like I said on the other thread, if it's some weird server problem on their end then it's really going to be hard to pin down :( Especially when it's not frequent, just "now and then". I guess it could also be a latency thing, where our pet is really doing the right thing as far as their server is concerned, but incorrect or incomplete info being sent back to our clients is making it display the wrong actions. If the latter is true then at least we're actually ok, even if what we're seeing is incorrect. But, who knows? :/
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

I've mentioned this before, in a few other posts, it's still happening and still annoying. Wain go kill something then wait for something of the same name to attack you, keep your pet on Defensive, the auto target when you are hit targets the "living" mob but your pet will go for the corpse. :| :mrgreen:

Shelassa
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU Magtheridon

Unread post by Shelassa »

I have experienced this both with Hunter pets as well as Bodyguards. A lot of times I'm also stuck in combat with absolutely nothing alive in sight, all because my bodyguard keeps aggro'ing at a corpse nearby * sigh * But I still love her, even if she's weird. Nightborne, right?

Dismissing pets / putting Syrenne on passive immediately drops combat, but it's annoying because it keeps happening... well, not frequently, but still regularly.
Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

Rexxar and Hati both love to practice jogging and going back and forth. While I applaud their commitment to fitness, it gets a bit obnoxious in mob packed areas.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Rawr wrote:go kill something then wait for something of the same name to attack you, keep your pet on Defensive, the auto target when you are hit targets the "living" mob but your pet will go for the corpse.
Thanks, I'll test that out and hopefully it's reproducible. It can't be the only cause, as I never use defensive, but maybe it'll lead them to finding the problem.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Glad I'm not the only one. I think its most annoying when I am trying to position myself not to pull extra mobs, expecting my pet to run to ME when the mob dies but nope, he just stands over the corpse. Making sure they're dead I guess.
NazzyDragon
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Emerald Dream (US)

Unread post by NazzyDragon »

This tends to only happen to me when something targets me but I don't attack it (the pet will instead run to last dead target, but I usually correct him within seconds so it never bugs me)...

..It's weird. Guess I'm used to microing my pet a lot.

(Click image for Hunter!)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.