"Required" dungeons for advancement

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

"Required" dungeons for advancement

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Well, I have now come across a serious block in my class campaign advancement on one of my alts. I can't find a group to do the dungeons I need. Everyone's too busy doing Mythics and "Mythic+" dungeons, which I have 0 interest in doing, nor the ability (since this is on an alt).

It seems blizzard have gone completely the opposite direction with this expansion. First they added solo scenarios to force you to do certain quests alone. Then they added a bunch of material that requires you to group for rares, dungeons, and raids.

While my few and far-between experiences with grouping in Legion (I've had to wait weeks before finally finding a group for some quests) have not been "bad", the ridiculously long waits are becoming a source of frustration. If I have an hour of time to play, but can't really start anything because I'm waiting on an hour-long queue for a dungeon, then that hour is wasted waiting on a potential group, which MAY not even materialize.
And who wants to be in the middle of an invasion, pulled into a dungeon, then at the end unceremoniously tossed back into the middle of a swarm of mobs?

I'm enjoying the game, enjoying the story, but really, really disappointed about this one aspect of the game.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Funk
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: several...

Re: "Required" dungeons for advancement

Unread post by Funk »

I've also been frustrated by being sent to dungeons constantly this expansion. I don't even know how I should feel about it. In principle I don't mind the idea of a quest chain culminating in a dungeon or raid from time to time, especially if it makes sense. I thought at first maybe they did this to have the dungeons stay relevant, but queues are so long still (esp if you are a pure dps class). A lot of my friends have left the game too (at the beginning of WoD we had like 6-7 and several were tanks so we could run heroics and stuff and it was a blast). I know there are solutions to this (ie. make more friends) but it's really easier said than done.

From a story PoV, a lot of the time I am sent to a dungeon this expansion I find myself scratching my head because it doesn't make sense. So many of the quests to go to dungeons feel shoe-horned in, if that makes sense.

I've dealt with pretty bad social anxiety in the past (and even now, really, although I manage it better), and on the bright side, I no longer cry while I'm in queue for dungeons/bgs/whatever. (I know it's so dumb but that's mental health for you haha.)

On a more positive note, are you on an Alliance or Horde alt? If they are just normal dungeons that you need, I can bring a 110 and we could try to 2-man our way through. If you are horde side, my shaman is my only 110 and not terribly well geared but we could still try. I'd offer to tank or heal but the social anxiety is still a bit off for that.
funk#1402

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I'm on Horde side.
And I get stomach pain and my heart starts to pound when I'm in a dungeon queue. I'm always afraid some day I'm going to have a heart attack while waiting for a dungeon (although these days, I fear more dying of old age while in that queue!)

The toons I'm trying to drag through their class hall and class quests are ALL DPS.
I have a healer Priest, but am scared $hitless of going into a dungeon with him. I'm simply too easily stressed out to heal a dungeon with strangers. And I know I'm going to have to eventually do those damned dungeons with that toon as well.

I also have a tank who's going to need it, and again, absolutely petrified at the idea of having to tank a dungeon. I'm simply not good enough. Questing is one thing, I can handle that. But dungeons is a completely different thing.

"Step on no pets!"
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Funk
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Funk »

Yeah. I've got every class to 110, but my Warlock, Paladin, and DK don't have their campaigns finished (I don't mind queuing anymore, I've just not been in the mood to do it).

If I get my Horde shaman a bit more geared we could try to 2-man stuff. I haven't played him in a while so I'd probably need to get used to the toolkit again too.

Alternatively, I can just queue for the dungeons with you (as a DPS). It wont help w/ the queue times but at least you wont be alone (I know that used to help me a lot). Feel free to add me: funk#1402.

Edit: I'm certain you are good enough! I understand the anxiety, and I understand how hard it can be to be kind to yourself too (at least that's been my experience). But really, I suspect you'd be superior to many I've met in random dungeons, and even if not, it's really not a big deal. I mean, I've been in normal dungeons where I'm tanking bosses on my frost mage (idk what the heck the tank was doing), and we make it through somehow (my mage outgears normals - I'm in them farming for transmog - but yeah). I have a friend who plays from time to time and sometimes she's like... not even facing bosses sometimes?? She's hilarious to play with though (I love her so much) so it's okay; I'm not friends with her because shes a WoW wizard (she's not, and neither am I).
funk#1402

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I FINALLY got a queue (had to queue for Heroics, there are never any normal runs on my server).

And I was stuck with what has got to have been THE stupidest group of people, full of themselves, and in a hurry to get it done, run, run, run, quick, don't bother looking back to see if someone WITHOUT a speed boost ability gets left behind!

And they had the NERVE to bitch and moan about it when someone DID get left behind.

"Step on no pets!"

Funk
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Funk »

Well... at least it's over with, right?

(Semi-related note: I always find it funny when people try to rush things and pull more than they/the healer can handle, wipe multiple times doing this, and end up making everything take longer... or try to shortcut around adds but pull them anyways.)
funk#1402

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

or tanks with movement speed boosts who rush off then complain that no one is keeping up.

or people who complain about killing mobs... they'd have us avoid every single mob in the place and ONLY kill bosses... because THEY can stealth.

"Step on no pets!"

Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Are you in a guild Suku? Can you ask friends to help you? I've got a good group of mates who regularly drag my noob ass through mythics for my artefact or I wait for the week my husband is home to help me since he's a tank (I'm a dps too) and it doesn't matter how terrible I am if they try to kick me he'll leave too. I'm alliance unfortunately else I'd totally pimp him and my mates out to help you :( I can understand your frustration though - dps queues are the worst!

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Thank-you Castile... yes, except, *I* am the guildmaster.
And what doesn't help is, EVERYONE in the guild is DPS except for my toons (2 tanks and a couple healers, the rest serious DPS).

We used to have a great furry tank who LOVED tanking, except he so hated what Blizz did to Druids in WoD that he just quit playing (he was also one of my best friends. We're still real-life friends, but sadly not in-game anymore).

At some point, the other guild members will all be ready to do some dungeons, nice and slow, and I'm sure we'll have fun. For the time being, I'm stuck with randoms, and because of ridiculous queue times, I'm stuck with taking on Heroics - which is harder than I'd like (though I'm getting better and feeling more secure about it as time goes on).

"Step on no pets!"

peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

Sukurachi wrote:And what doesn't help is, EVERYONE in the guild is DPS except for my toons (2 tanks and a couple healers, the rest serious DPS).
Here's a slightly off the wall suggestion... if you and your friends are only interested in doing normal mode dungeons, you could try running 5 dps. You can't queue in of course, you'll need to walk in the entrance, but if you walk in there's nothing that says you need a tank, a heal, 3 dps. It won't necessarily be easy that way, but you can take your time and won't have to worry about someone rushing you or pushing you along.

I only mention that because the way my husband and I get dungeons done for our badly geared alts is we have the other's main carry them and just run it 2 man.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Thanks PBC! I'll definitely consider that.

Are dungeons supposed to scale with your level as well?
I ask because my toons tend to be more quipped/better geared than one of our guild members, and I don't want her to be left out.
If I go in on a level 110, can she still go in on a level 102?

"Step on no pets!"

Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Oh that sucks! I have a tank I'm lvling (she's only 105) but again she's alliance :( I kinda want to boost a toon now to help you out! Pretty sure I have a free one still pending on my horde account but I'd only be able to help at the weekends due to the time difference.

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

Sukurachi wrote:Thanks PBC! I'll definitely consider that.

Are dungeons supposed to scale with your level as well?
I ask because my toons tend to be more quipped/better geared than one of our guild members, and I don't want her to be left out.
If I go in on a level 110, can she still go in on a level 102?
Normal Legion dungeons scale to level, though some might have level or rep restrictions (i.e. the Suramar ones). If you walk in, you might be able to bypass the level restriction but I haven't had a toon try and check on that. Darkheart Thicket, Eye of Azshara, Halls of Valor and Nethalion's Lair allow for as low as level 98 to queue in, so you should be able to walk in as well.

Normal mode dungeons aren't that bad and so far we haven't had issue 2 manning with 1 geared dps, 1 severely undergeared dps. I think you'll have more fun working together with your friends even if it's a slower run, rather than grouping with randoms since that type of game play isn't what you're interested in.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Thanks Castile. You'd like the guys and girls in the guild, we're all old coots with VERY young hearts.

And Peanut, thank-you again so much for the encouragement and information. I will make sure to relay it to our noobiest guild member, it will reassure her immensely. We sort of power-dragged her through Siege of Orgrimmar last week, and she had a tremendous amount of fun (we all did), and it was cool to finally get to see the cut-scenes for Pandaria's end-of-story.

She JUST got her Legion expansion the other day, and I worry a bit that she will find the BM hunter artifact quests a bit tougher than she's used to. I wish we could team up with her, but those are solo scenarios, so, no-go.

"Step on no pets!"

Shelassa
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU Magtheridon

Unread post by Shelassa »

I'd have been happy to help out with dungeons or even raids, but alas, I'm playing in EU region D: