"Frayfeather Hippogryph Tameable for All" Hunt FOUND!

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

"Frayfeather Hippogryph Tameable for All" Hunt FOUND!

Unread post by Rikaku »

EDIT:
The Frayfeather Hippogryph 'secret' has been found by Valnaaros! See his post below. I quoted it up here also for quicker viewing:
Valnaaros wrote:I got it!! :DD

I decided to try and go through various emotes to try and gain a reaction. I noticed that when I did /pat that the Frayfeather Hippogryphs and Stagwings would start making a "squaking" animation. I then tried /roar, which caused them to go hostile and continue said animation :D
Grats to Valnaaros on their find!

Edit: This seems to currently work for the Frayfeather Hippogryphs (Pink), but not the Stagwings (blue) at the moment.

------
Edit: Rest of this is old now since it has been found, but leaving it up for history/context :)

So currently the only known tameable Freyfeather Hippogryph are tameable only by the Horde, due to their "friendly" disposition to the Alliance. Today Muffinus made some rather interesting tweets in regards to the question from another user asking why only Horde could tame this particular Hippogryph.
There may be a way... :)
As seen here: https://twitter.com/Muffinus/status/864631795391778816

While this could be just fun tweets from Muffinus, there's also some other tweets/comments he made to those who responded to this inquiry that share a lot of mannerisms with his usual 'FIND THE SECRET' hunts.
Oh my, do tell! At least a hint at least!
Do we give hints, secret-finders?
From here: https://twitter.com/Muffinus/status/864649002066657282
"You can" would be enough. let them mobilize and try and solve it, When they know there IS a solution. Instead of jumping at shadows in AQ
AQ has bugs
From here: https://twitter.com/Muffinus/status/864666428686819329
I'm trying Archaeology right now. Then I'm going to spam corpse explosion.
Truly, the Hippogryph is the dog of the sky.
From here: https://twitter.com/Muffinus/status/864672702191161344

Now of course this doesn't confirm 100% that the Frayfeather Hippogryph tameable for all is in-game, but to be fair, this is also more comments about the Hippogryph then Muffinus gave for the Lost Spectral Gryphon which they also hinted at. So my guess, it is somewhere.

What's not clear is if this is specific to the 7.2.5 PTR or Live. Currently no one can tame Feathermanes yet on Live, but it still would be possible to find the spawn of the hippogryph (much like we can find the Gryphon rare Snowblind on live, just can't tame) if it is in-game.
Last edited by Rikaku on Wed May 17, 2017 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Novikova
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Re: "Frayfeather Hippogryph Tameable for All" Hunt

Unread post by Novikova »

I was just gonna have a friendly horde priest MC alliance. Have them auto attack the hippogryph, break MC and tame it.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

The only mobs, outside of those that can be tamed by Horde, that share the same model, are the Frayfeather Patriarch and Skystormer. Neither of them have been seen, but it would make sense if they were in Feralas. However, myself and others have thoroughly searched that zone to no avail. There are several nests located near the normal Frayfeathers, but I have never seen anything in them during my half-a-dozen searches.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Rikaku »

Valnaaros wrote:The only mobs, outside of those that can be tamed by Horde, that share the same model, are the Frayfeather Patriarch and Skystormer. Neither of them have been seen, but it would make sense if they were in Feralas. However, myself and others have thoroughly searched that zone to no avail. There are several nests located near the normal Frayfeathers, but I have never seen anything in them during my half-a-dozen searches.
Yeah I've been checking too. Though the tweet still caught my eye because its very similar "feeling" to the first hint we got about the Lost Spectral Gryphon. So it could be nothing, but figured, couldn't hurt to look too :)

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Jeremy's wording does suggest to me (and I emphasize "suggest", meaning it's not unequivocal), that it's the NPC itself that is tameable and not a look-alike. Assuming there's a trick somewhere that allows you to grab one then it would probably work for both the blue and the purple. That might account for the fact that we haven't seen any new purple (potentially tameable) hippogryphs in the database.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

"Dog of the sky" - is there any hippogryph food somewhere? Maybe we need to feed one of them ;D
Funk
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: several...

Unread post by Funk »

I grabbed a pebble from Dalaran... wish me luck...

Edit: Nothing with the Dalaran pebble as far as I can tell, but I could be missing something... (note: I was thinking the pebble because of how we get Dog to Dalaran). My char is in Feralas - any ideas while I'm here?
funk#1402

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I got it!! :DD

I decided to try and go through various emotes to try and gain a reaction. I noticed that when I did /pat that the Frayfeather Hippogryphs and Stagwings would start making a "squaking" animation. I then tried /roar, which caused them to go hostile and continue said animation :D
Attachments
WoWScrnShot_051717_000857.jpg
WoWScrnShot_051717_000857.jpg (259.42 KiB) Viewed 3250 times
Last edited by Valnaaros on Wed May 17, 2017 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funk
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Funk »

nice!! :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

(I want these guys so bad)

Edit: they seem to turn friendly again rather quickly (but you should have enough time to tame) and you don't need to pat first, you can just roar. they also don't attack, they just turn hostile and look at you.

Edit #2: this works for the pink one (frayfeather hippogryph), but seemingly not stagwing (blue).
Last edited by Funk on Wed May 17, 2017 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
funk#1402

Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Rikaku »

Wooo! Nice :D This is great find! Good job Valnaaros!

This is a totally nice solution to the 'friendly' problem. This way its not some rare we all have to camp!

They really are "dog of the sky" XD

Edit:
Added Valnaaros' find and quote to the first post, so it can all be seen easier/faster. Though currently, the blue one is not reacting to /roar for me either. But since it reacts to all the other emotes, might be a bug.

Funk
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Funk »

Rikaku wrote:

Wooo! Nice :D This is great find! Good job Valnaaros!

This is a totally nice solution to the 'friendly' problem. This way its not some rare we all have to camp!

They really are "dog of the sky" XD

Edit:
Added Valnaaros' find and quote to the first post, so it can all be seen easier/faster. Though currently, the blue one is not reacting to /roar for me either. But since it reacts to all the other emotes, might be a bug.
yep. I'm trying other emotes but I think it may be bugged.

still really happy about this.

thanks valnaaros!

(edit: also ty j.feasel)
funk#1402

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Re: "Frayfeather Hippogryph Tameable for All" Hunt FOUND!

The Stagwing did react and become hostile for me, but only once. I tried replicating what I did prior, but it wouldn't go hostile again. Not sure why, but it could possibly be bugged.

Always happy to help :D
Funk
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Funk »

It definitely reacts to /pat the same way as the Hippogryph does (with the roar animation).

Edit: More (possibly unnecessary) clarifications
- The Frayfeather Hippogryph responded to my level 101 Alliance hunter the same as my 110 hunter (in all three specs) - /roar made it hostile. AFAIK you need to be 110 to learn the BoA tome anyways so I guess it doesn't matter? (Unless I misread info.) The Stagwing ignored my level 101's roar (which is not surprising since it ignored my 110 but I checked anyways).
- The Frayfeather Hippogryph can go hostile to Alliance non-hunters via this same method. I brought my Nelf warrior down and they react to the /pat and /roar the same as for my hunters. Doesn't really matter for the sake of hunters taming, of course, but there you have it, if you were curious.
- If you /pat and immediately /roar the Hippogryph might not go hostile right away - wait a second or two to /roar. As stated previously you don't need to /pat first, though. I thought this was what was going wrong with the Stagwing but alas, it was not.

No luck (still) on the Stagwing, I suspect it is indeed bugged. Bed time for me, though.
funk#1402

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Oh wow! Well done!!! :)

I wonder why it was inconsistent. Maybe there's a hidden timer on how often you can aggro them.

I'll go experiment in a bit and then post / tweet about it.

Well done again! I'm so excited... a pet to match the Long-Forgotten Hippogryph :)
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Oh nice! I did some emotes back in 7.2 PTR but never tried roar. I think I did things like /rude trying to piss one off :lol: Grats on the find!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Yeah, I can't find a way of aggroing the Stagwing either :( No idea if it's a bug or there's another way. There is another blue hippogryph in the database which hasn't been found, Skystormer, so maybe we're supposed to tame that and not these. :/
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

/pat works on Antilus the Soarer too :) Of course he's always aggressive but he does stop and wave at you.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Rikaku »

Quiv wrote:Oh nice! I did some emotes back in 7.2 PTR but never tried roar. I think I did things like /rude trying to piss one off :lol: Grats on the find!
lmao!

I actually did the EXACT same thing on Live a few days ago, but I never thought to use /pat or /roar to clue me in on the right emote to use lol

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

And just in case, no, Sharptalon doesn't aggro with roar, nor respond to pat :/

The whole dog thing makes me wonder if they intended /growl to work (it's the same as /roar really) but it doesn't.
Varethyn
Petopia Artist
Realm: Azjol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Varethyn »

*Pokes head in*
First off, awesome find! Certainly a neat and unique way to, um, encourage a new pet to join us :D
Second, maybe by "dog" Muffinus was referring to Dog in the way that he responds to emotes as opposed to hippogryphs themselves being/acting like dogs.

Check out PetEmote here! | Visit my Flight Rising lair!

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.