somewhat O/T: Warlock demonology artifact upgrade quests

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

somewhat O/T: Warlock demonology artifact upgrade quests

Unread post by Sukurachi »

I play my warlock as Destruction, ever since they brought so many changes to Demonology that I didn't recognize the spec anymore.

but I decided to go with the flow and get Demonology as my 2nd artifact.

The initial quest went well. I've been playing Demonology for a few days now, and it's taking time to get used to the rotation.

However, the point of my post is a bit further along... when it's time to upgrade your artifact.

The quest chain was good. You follow Sigryn the Vrykul around and help her win back the throne, as she is apparently the heir and the one destined to bring the different Vrykul tribes together.

I have to say that this is among the GREAT quest chains that Blizzard's writers have done. I was very profoundly moved by it, and the end is so tragic. I finished it about a half hour ago and I still have a lump in my throat.

Anyone else particularly moved by one of the recent quests?

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Re: somewhat O/T: Warlock demonology artifact upgrade quests

Unread post by Rikaku »

Honestly some of the quests in Legion have made me stop a moment far more than previous expansions. That's not to say the story wasn't amazing in previous ones, just that this expansion has made me stop a lot more than usual. Some of my favorites....

POTENTIAL SPOILERS AHEAD MAYBE??? I'll try to be as non-spoilery as possible.

"Rise of a King" - The Anduin Wyrnn questline started from the broken compass on the Broken Shore. This started off a bit... hokey? Like as an Alliance player, I really really liked Varian and his character development since Wrath (especially post Cataclysm). While many may disagree with me (and that's fine), after the first Broken Shore scenario at the start I honestly felt a bit lost with Anduin as the new king. That isn't to say that I don't like Anduin, I just felt like "well, this certainly is not a King" in a way. But the quests that began after the first portion of this quest chain honestly made me tear up with it's ending. And the reason it sticks out to me is because without being cheesy, overdone, or even flashy, this quest actually made me feel like as an Alliance, Anduin is ready to be a King. So it stuck out to me not just for making me tear up, but because it really did close a gap I had with connecting to a character and my perspective of him.

The ending quest/cutscene of Val'sharah - Okay, I'm sure we all know which quest and cutscene I'm referring to, but just in case... yes it's the one that happens at Temple and involves the Pillar of Creation. This cutscene was a complete tearjerker for me. Now, I'm not super emotional (though it may sound like it crying over quests), but this cutscene... something about it was just different. Honestly, the ending wasn't a surprise and we're even told it's not going to be. We're told seconds before the events unfold "once the nightmare corrupts, there is no saving them." And then bam, it happens. So it builds up and you KNOW what's going to happen. But that cutscene... it got to me when it unfolded. It wasn't just 'how sad, we had to kill X'. It was beautifully done. It wasn't just a bunch of NPC's idling by; it actually showed these night elves looking distraught, upset, and even lost. But more importantly, it showed awe. As a person whose main has been a Night Elf from the start, it genuinely got to me not only seeing, for once, Elune in action, but seeing a friend get some redemption and solace from a fate that was just hard to swallow. I cried when I saw this cutscene the first time, and I still get teary when I do it on alts.

Runas the Shamed - Ok, so this quest chain probably wasn't on everyone's list but it surprisingly made mine. You meet this guy and clearly he's almost comical with not only how talkative he is, but just how... obvious he is about what's going on. The way the quest is worded and the way that Senegos acts around Runas, and how Runas speaks to you, it's clearly meant for your character to appear to be annoyed with Runas. Some of the prompts you're given to answer with are like "Just...just lead the way, Runas." after a lengthy talk he gives. But at the end, he can't escape the otherwise inevitable fate of the nightfallen who don't have nightwell-access. The final statement he gives, along with the animations, of saying "thank you for making my last few hours mean something" just struck me. I found myself actually standing there for a bit watching him wander off feeling genuinely sad and upset that I couldn't otherwise help the npc who genuinely helped us, but we couldn't save them.

So those are the ones off the top of my head that moved me.

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

YES! The Runas quest was one that had me feeling really badly!
It's another of those tragic-without-being-melodramatic storylines.

I'm happy, well not "happy" but rather grateful, that the quests are still good. I was one of those who was less than enthused by the Beastmastery Artifact quest. It felt "wrong" to me. And there was absolutely NO comparison to the Demonology Warlock quests. I really like going through these quests that make me feel as if I really AM part of the story, that the NPC is a real person who's sharing part of their life - and often, their death - with me.

"Step on no pets!"
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Shelassa
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU Magtheridon

Unread post by Shelassa »

I agree with all of those Rikaku mentioned.

In addition to Runas, also Senegos in Azsuna. As I was questing through, I was terrified that the dragon would die on me any second (+ it was just after Val'sharah for me, so... yeah). His relationship with Stellagosa is so precious. The "You're a kind little thing" bit just about broke me.

A lot of stuff in Suramar - Venthir, Arluin, even Elisande herself. The Moonguard Stronghold quest-chain, including scaring hippogryphs away so that they would not fall in battle.

Presenting Thas'dorah to Sylvanas. The only bit in the entire expansion that made me feel Horde.
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I just finished the Anduin questline the other day. Like you, I started off feeling...like he was kind of a putz? Like, he was okay, but just some sheltered little wuss that never really did anything. I didn't really feel like I should respect him, but that he was just kinda forced on us like, "Here you go, your new king." Then I did that questline, and I was like, dang...he might actually be something. I got a lump in my throat too during that one part where he's in that light-filled place and meets a certain someone. I'm hopeful that he'll be as great as Arthas was (without going all crazy Lich King, of course). The Light and a warrior's skills can be a dangerous combo. :)

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I finally got to finish the Stormheim quests, and I absolutely loved the final part, with Sylvannas and the Vrykul temple. It was one of the few parts that made me feel strongly "Horde". I suspect that Alliance players get more quests that strongly identify with their faction than Horde do. Possibly because the Horde isn't quite as unified as the Alliance? Many of our races have only recently joined the Horde, and some of us are regarded with a certain degree of reluctance, and in some cases outright derision.

"Step on no pets!"

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Oh man, yeah, Legion has really hit me right in the gut for some quests. Runas for absolute sure- he's a trope I love, and his parting words just... absolutely destroyed me. I still think about him. Of all the quests, I'd say Runas was the one that punched me in the stomach the hardest.

I also really loved the Prince Farondis line! His fear and shame at the hands of the other ghosts and how he overcame it really stuck with me. Though, I'm just a big sucker for that kind of shamed character, I think. See: Runas.

I've not yet leveled through the entire thing as Horde! Which is funny, as Horde is my preference. But I have to say, the zones where the factions weren't at war were my favorite. The increase in factions getting along and working together through class halls really tugged my heartstrings- after 13 or so years of watching the factions fight and fight and fight, seeing them get along makes me emotional.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I wish they'd put you together with an opposite-faction NPC and force you to do some sort of mission, where there's palpable tension between you, but you get through it, and develop mutual respect.

"Step on no pets!"

Shelassa
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Sukurachi wrote:I wish they'd put you together with an opposite-faction NPC and force you to do some sort of mission, where there's palpable tension between you, but you get through it, and develop mutual respect.
I felt that way for a tiiiny bit getting Thas'dorah on my Blood Elf Huntress with Vereesa. The tension was there, for sure. And in the end respect, too, whether mutual or not.
Too bad somewhere between that and Suramar she hit her head and went back to hiss-spit-growl at me :D

As far as Legion goes, I'd rather actually do something with fellow Hordies. Trying to portray just how lovey-dovey Class Orders are and how stupid war aspect is, the story left actual Factions hanging somewhere between an on-going war and sorta maybe even peace. What's going on with the Darkspear, who is the new leader? Who is the Orc leader? The achievement says Saurfang, but no in-game explanation has been given. How do other leaders feel about Sylvanas becoming Warchief? What are Baine's thoughts on Highmountain Tauren? Lor'themar is probably thrilled about Suramar... too bad he's chained to his desk in Silvermoon. Meanwhile, let's defrost Magni, return to Dalaran and sweep Purge under the rug, quest under Tyrande and Malfurion, save Exodar and get all friendly with Velen.

Sorry if it sounded grumpy, I'm always for more cross-faction interaction, provided you feel a strong kinship with your own, but in this expansion, there is already virtually only one faction. Horde had been portrayed both evil and weak before but never was it so insignificant as to not get portrayal at all. I doubt 7.2.5 and the Tomb of Sargeras will change that as it is the big shining moment for Velen which was long coming.

At least from time to time I actually get to see talking heads of Liadrin and Shinfel among all the Blues... :?
Shelassa
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

To add to the topic: just finished levelling my baby Tailor and the story of the Nightfallen tailoring trainer, Lyndras, is as sad as Runas' :'D