Small Pet Peeve of Mine, what's yours?

Everything Hunter-related, except pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Novikova
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Re: Small Pet Peeve of Mine, what's yours?

Unread post by Novikova »

For some reason, MG alliance are weirdly aggressive when it comes to Horde. Is it being an RP server? The fact they more than double the horde's numbers? Who knows. I'm just glad I checked for the gryphon at a weird hour, and tamed it then had to dodge a disgruntled paladin. What IS it with human paladins and being rawr in pvp? The world is strange.

As for peeves, I am still bitter people can use rape, and at one point penis, in pet names but I couldn't name a pet Jade.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Nhee
Realm: Draenor EU

Unread post by Nhee »

@People being shitty over pets - I am honestly surprised anyone would do that. The closest thing I've received was being asked to not use my Teroclaw Chick in a dungeon, because it was too loud (which is understandable tbh).
Getting negative whispers over the slime or any other retired pet most definitely stems from a place of jealousy though, I'd say.

I had a sit in Trueshot Lodge looking at people's pets, and a good solid 75% of them were unnamed :c

Novikova

I won't lie. I'm slow as hell at thinking up names. Yeah, I'm bummed I didn't get the spirit wolf or baby dire horn before it was removed but I'm not gonna get mad at someone. >_>

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

Sukurachi wrote:People who over-use accents and foreign characters.. or worse yet, use characters that they don't realize do NOT sound like they think they do.
I saw a rogue named "ßackstaßßer", and I can't help but call him "Ssackstasssser".
The other one is ridiculous accents like over-use of à, â, é, è, ê.

I use accents in some of my pet names and toon names, because my mother tongue uses those accents. I don't do it to get by Blizzard's naming policy, or to get a name that someone else already has by switching out a letter or five for diacriticals.
Oh god this. This is such a thing that gets up my nose. If the name you want is taken FIND ANOTHER NAME. BEAT THE NAME BOSS, IT CAN BE DONE, EVEN ON MOON GUARD. Good christ.

Though there was a guy on WRA (a gnome) named Faßulous, and once he was in a raid with me and some friends, and he got SO PISSED OFF when we kept calling him Fassulous, it was totally worth it.

That and 'Sslood-anything' makes me giggle. I have NEVER reduced myself to using 'letter candy' unless it's appropriate (I did have a character named Loiré for a while but that one I think is fair.)

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Nachtwulf wrote:Though there was a guy on WRA (a gnome) named Faßulous, and once he was in a raid with me and some friends, and he got SO PISSED OFF when we kept calling him Fassulous, it was totally worth it.

That and 'Sslood-anything' makes me giggle. I have NEVER reduced myself to using 'letter candy' unless it's appropriate (I did have a character named Loiré for a while but that one I think is fair.)
The "Fassulous" comment had me guffaw! That's exactly what I would do.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

Minor name-related peeve I didn't realize I had until it accidentally happened to me: people who name themselves after "popular" WoW people, whether with the intention of imitating those people or not (usually "with" given my interactions with them in the past, but y'know).

I've been leveling a baby warlock named Lynxaria on Proudmoore, since my warlock on Korgath didn't make the cut for paid transfers when my guild died—she would have been Lynxia (after my horde warlock's succubus) but naturally that was taken, and Lynxaria was the substitute I managed to come up with that sat well enough. She hit level 100 today, at which time I got to current content and started answering questions in general chat where people actually are... and discovered the existence of an existing WoW streamer named Lynxaria.

Like, it wasn't intentional at all but I'm now super skeeved and am trying to think of a new name for her, despite not really having the $10(?) a name change would entail. It's probably not a big deal in the whole scheme of things but... eugh. I don't wanna be encroaching on this lady's brand! :(
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Sukurachi wrote:People who over-use accents and foreign characters.. or worse yet, use characters that they don't realize do NOT sound like they think they do.
I saw a rogue named "ßackstaßßer", and I can't help but call him "Ssackstasssser".
The other one is ridiculous accents like over-use of à, â, é, è, ê.

I use accents in some of my pet names and toon names, because my mother tongue uses those accents. I don't do it to get by Blizzard's naming policy, or to get a name that someone else already has by switching out a letter or five for diacriticals.
*raises hand* Guilty!

But mainly because I've had the same names since Vanilla and refuse to give them up so if I move servers I just add an accented é or á to them. I don't even think about the sound tbh! Sorry not sorry :lol: I'll forever be Castile, Sakurie, Tsukino, Nadeshiko and Tsurani if it kills me (or annoys the shit out of you :P )

Also guilty of the rare pets thing - mainly because I like the challenge of finding them not so much the bragging rights. Even if a pet shares a common skin I'll track down the rare one to give myself a challenge. I love all my pets so again sorry not sorry.

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I've only used the accents with one or two pets that give me that "reserved" name bullcrap. I wanted my stag to be named Nemo, but it was reserved so I tossed in a thingy over the "e". I think there's one other pet I've done it with, but I can't remember which one now. I do at least try to look up how it's pronounced if I do such a thing, but I can't usually find anything concrete so I just go with it. :)

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I actually don't object to one accent in a name, where it was a means of getting the name.
But when I see a name like "Éllérïànâßôllå", well, that pretty much grates on my nerves.

"Step on no pets!"
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Today, my pet peeve is...

Nighthuntress Syrenne, Hati, and my Toasterpuppy, all sitting on top of the mob I just killed, making it completely impossible for me to loot it, and then being attacked by 3 other mobs that I COULD have avoided had I been able to loot that first damned mob immediately after killing it, like I WANTED to.

"Step on no pets!"

Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

Speaking of being unable to loot...why did they have to make that Navarogg guy so enormous that you can't loot mobs within a 40-meter radius? Okay, maybe some slight exaggeration there, but seriously, he's huge. Add in your pets and it's an exercise in futility.

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Novikova

Please stop sitting on a huge mount over a spawn, as well as using all your toys on a spawn point. A couple are cute and fun. Overdoing it is just rude.

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Novikova wrote:Please stop sitting on a huge mount over a spawn, as well as using all your toys on a spawn point. A couple are cute and fun. Overdoing it is just rude.
I report those people.
It drives me bonkers when 4-5 idiots on their mammoths literally block the entire mission board in the class hall.

"Step on no pets!"

Inay
Petopia Artist
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU)

Unread post by Inay »

Pet peeve, well, not really annoying but it's weird. When someone name their character with my irl name. It's not a common name where I live, so it's really really weird for me to see some pixels with it. x)
(Bonus weird if it's the pet and not the character)
PrimalTazza
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by PrimalTazza »

Like some other people here, seeing a Loque named Loque really drives me up the wall. Once even saw an RPer claiming that, IC, they had actually tamed THE Loque. Did not help my perception of blood elf RPers (or any kind of elf, really).

I'm a little guilty of the silly names one myself, though. I usually only give the names to a silly pet, like the Chimaeron I named Ugfug or the giant puppy named Doggapus for the short time it was around. I also took Broken Toe from the Ring of Blood in Nagrand and slapped it on my Chromaggus in the form of Brokintoh, because at the time I thought it sounded totally awesome.

Art of my character Tazza by Isei! http://isei-silva.tumblr.com

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Pet peeve: Blizzard calling an extra period of maintenance, on a normally maintenance-free day, "scheduled maintenance".
If maintenance is not normally Wednesday mornings, and you didn't announce said maintenance days in advance, then it's not "scheduled maintenance", it's an exceptional maintenance period.

"Step on no pets!"

Novikova

My pet won't stop roaring. :(

Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

WQs that require you to have help, because the named mob you're supposed to kill has an annoying "trap" mechanic you can't free yourself from. :cry:

Madeline

Unread post by Madeline »

Boven wrote:
Xella wrote:People not naming their pets, or naming them something ridiculous.
Now is probably not a good time to mention that my Tauren hunter named his Ox pet 'Girlfriend.'
ROFLMAO! :lol:
Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard, Hati's Realm

Unread post by Iowawolf »

Two of mine are players who get on those mammoth mounts or the yak and just stand there blocking a doorway or mailbox now I don't care if they sit on them all day doing nothing but why must they block doors and mailboxes gets so annoying another is getting whispers asking if I want to join a guild there is a reason I am not in one on my main cause I don't feel like being in one. My guild invites are turned off because of this so now anytime someone whispers me asking to join I just put them on ignore then whisper back saying their number on my list.