Speculate! New Xpac: new race, class, both or other?

Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Re: Speculate! New Xpac: new race, class, both or other?

Unread post by Xella »

Wain wrote:There would be some weird time-twisty plot issues to be resolved, however. Like, with the way the storyline currently exists a player who starts a Taunka would later end up experiencing Northrend and the Taunka as if they were just discovered them. There are a number of cases of this where the game assumes you've never seen those races and their lands before.
True, but there's weird time-twisty plot issues in the game as-is—Pandaren NPCs have weird reactions to Pandaren PCs and they came out in the same expansion as one another. If I recall correctly, Blizzard sort of shrugged and was like "yeah, we know it's not ideal but that was a lot of extra quest text (or whatever) that we didn't really have the resources for" which is fine, even if it does feel a little weird in the moment. I suspect most sub-races could get away with that in their starting areas, and there's already a lot of weird time shenanigans going on once you move into TBC and WotLK content anyway (since EK/Kalimdor are Cata-era now). Edit: which just makes me want the removal of the artificial exp cliffs for old squished content even more; imagine being able to skip half of tbc by finishing up winterspring or silithus or whatever, or skipping a chunk of borean tundra/howling fjord because you can just keep following your quest chains in netherstorm/smv. It's not like wrath gear is any better than tbc gear these days, anyway >:|
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Very true :) And I'm sure a little smoothing out would help with that too. They could do that and still end up spending less time than if they'd developed a whole new race from scratch.

An alternative would be to make sub-races something that is unlocked (like DKs, etc.) and their starting level is the same as the expansion they first appeared. Complete Northrend, you can start a Taunka, etc.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Shelassa
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU Magtheridon

Unread post by Shelassa »

I'd love to see South Seas expansion - Zandalar, Kul'Tiras, all that.

While I'm not against new race(s) and / or class(es), I'd love to see Blizzard take a step back from all the imminent doom and end of the world and concentrate on what we already have. Conflicts inside factions, more lore to existing playable races (it's about time we see gnomes take back Gnomeregan and trolls choose a new leader and so on, show some Pandas and dwarves around!). More customization, possibly sub-races, race-themed transmogs. Faction leaders making frequent appearances as well as some other important characters such as, for example, Jaina. All in all, an attempt of factions to return to relatively peaceful coexistence with some local skirmishes and head butting here and there, with the mood growing darker as the expansion goes on, ultimately leading to N'Zoth rearing up his ugly head.

Pandaria 2.0, this time with ships instead of the farm! :D
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

A friend of mine were talking the same thing. After we deal with the Legion for now, I think we need a "break" expansion. I assume an Azshara/Nzoth one myself, but something like MoP that just kinda takes a breather. Honestly, I dont think I can handle another fel green expansion, so bring on the beach!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

World of Warcraft: Summer Break ? Goblins Gone Wild?
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Shelassa
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU Magtheridon

Unread post by Shelassa »

I'd even transmog Talonclaw to a shovel and don the stylish hat and beach wear if that were the case!