I need an opinion

Aleu
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord.

I need an opinion

Unread post by Aleu »

Recently my mother and I have been faced with a hard decision. One of our dogs, Emma is 14 years old. She's gone mostly blind and is probably going deaf as well. We also think she's developed dementia as she wanders aimlessly around the house, often falling down unable to get herself up or getting herself stuck in the corner. She then panics with a pretty desperate whine most of the time. She can settle herself, but not often. Sleeps like a rock, though we have been giving her Tramadol to try and get her to sleep. As far as doing her business, she tends to just do it where ever she falls... which tends to be the floor.

Needless to say, we're faced with the decision to let her go. She's still pretty bright and alert when it comes to food, as she always have. I don't want to let her go prematurely, but her life right now is just wandering till she falls, then getting picked up, then fall again etc.

I don't know what to do. It's really my mothers final call, but it's killing me too. Soooo if anyone has any opinion on the matter, it might help us both.

NEW SIGNATURE PENDING... SOON.
{Flight Rising}

Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: I need an opinion

Unread post by Bowno »

Deleted the rest of my post because I'm bad at wording things. Didn't like how it came out and I didn't want to risk saying the wrong thing on this sensitive subject.
I'm sorry to hear about your dog :C

The answer to the question is perhaps another question:
Is she living a happy, painfree life right now? Are you able to keep her comfortable?

What ever you choose to do will likely be the right choice. I wish you and your mother luck and my best of wishes. Losing a pet is never easy... Especially when it's a slow process. Know that your dog will always love you and be thankful for the life given, no matter your choice. Hang in there and stay strong.
Last edited by Bowno on Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Siggy under construction!

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I'm so sorry to hear that Aleu, that is always a difficult choice to make. :( She sounds like a sweet girl that's nearing the end of her time.

I think if it were me, I'd try to consider what her comfort levels are. Does she still get enjoyment out of things, enough to outweigh potential discomfort? We always want to keep our pets for as long as possible, but it's always good to step back and consider whether that decision benefits us more than the animal. Even with that knowledge it's still hard, so I wouldn't blame you for hesitating.

I think if you can still give her a comfortable life and if she still seems happy and isn't in any pain, maybe just do your best to make the rest of her days nice and peaceful and enjoy your time with her, let her feel loved. If you're unsure if she's in any sort of significant pain or discomfort you could always ask for a vet's opinion as well.

I hope both you and your mother can come to a decision that will give you peace of mind either way. :hug:
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

It's such a hard decision but it's a decision that only a loved one can make for her. It's terribly painful to have to do so, but in a way it's also a privilege to have to make a hard decision because you love them.

As others have said, only you guys can assess whether her happy times outweigh and pain or anxiety or loss of dignity. I'm so sorry you have to face this decision, but it sounds like you love her very much and have done right by her.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Aleu
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord.

RIP Emma

Unread post by Aleu »

We did finally make the decision and it was done today. She had a pretty rough night before and was completely disoriented all day. It all boiled down to quality of life and it wasn't a good one. We're having her cremated.

This was seemingly harder then my previous dog. In the mean time I'm focusing my energy on my other dog, Zeke. He's was the one with the back surgery and he's getting better everyday.

NEW SIGNATURE PENDING... SOON.
{Flight Rising}

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

*hugs*
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

It sounds like you made the right choice in the end, even though it must have been hard. She's at peace now and I hope you can find some as well. :hug: