Should we have more stable slots?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Qinni
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin(US)

Should we have more stable slots?

Unread post by Qinni »

Discussion on this topic here only. Saw people wanted to talk about it.
So what do you all think? Do we need more or are we fine for what we have now?
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: Should we have more stable slots?

Unread post by Vephriel »

I debated commenting since I don't feel I'm one of the people who has a strong opinion on this either way, but for the sake of offering some alternative viewpoints, here are mine.

My personal playstyle when it comes to hunter pets has always been focused more on individual bonds than a collector's mentality. I'm just stating that now because I know right off the bat this puts me in a different position from other people who like having as many as they can or seeking out rares for completion's sake.

I find that I struggle when I start to get too many pets because they lose a bit of meaning for me. Restricted or smaller stable sizes always had me make choices that in the end resulted in stronger feelings toward the pets that I felt were important enough to stay. Don't get my wrong, my stable is currently nearly as full as many of yours, but if I were forced to downsize right now, I could very easily let go of many of my pets that I don't use as often or aren't as attached to as others.

I have this problem with minipets currently. I love collecting them, I love finding or earning new ones, but with the state of them now being in literally the thousands I feel a bit overwhelmed by the choices. I forget half of the minipets I own most of the time because there's just too many to keep track of and remember, even with the favourites feature. I kind of miss having less sometimes because I rarely appreciate new minipets the way I used to. They're added to the pile and then...that's it really. It takes some of the spark away.

I'm against an enormous or infinite stable just because...I don't know, I guess I prefer the smaller meaningful pack than an endless horde. And I realize that this seems silly, that if I don't want more pets then I don't have to use the extra slots, but just even having them there for me would feel...off.

Again, I'm not trying to argue for this too passionately, I know I'm in the minority and in the end it's a selfish wish to want to keep the stable smaller, but that's just how I've always felt!
Xylexia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Draenor

Unread post by Xylexia »

I stick with my original argument:

Whether I use them or not is irrelevant. I've been playing since vanilla and have spent countless hours camping rare spawn pets, and more recently rare challenge tames. To get rid of one of these beauties would be the same as leveling a character to 100 and then deleting it. All that time and effort wasted, flushed away forever....

Now unlike a level 100, which is a quick (and expensive) in game purchase away to fully unlock, you can't just buy back your rare spawns etc. So I'm loathe to even consider getting rid of them.

So more stable slots would be great. Those against them don't have to use them and oldie players like myself who refuse to let go of time sinks will be happy. Also I feel that those who think a limit should be in place because (and I'm quoting very generally here purely as an example) 'I'd never use them so there's no point in having more'...are really not being fair to those who have used them all and need more.

An alternative to more stable slots, they could give hunters their own personal safari zone. A place where hunters could "release" their companions to roam free and wild once again. A place where they can regain their wild instincts and should you wish to regain their companionship you'd have to fight and tame them again as a challenge or boss solo tame of some sort etc.
Loridon
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Loridon »

I dont need more but I'm not against or for more stable slots. But if you give 100 slots, ppl gonne ask for 200 slots. Ppl always want more and more and are never satisfied (ingame and rl).
And whats the point to camp countless hours for a rare pet>tame it>put it in your stable> never look at it again because you are already using other pets? Seems to me thats time and effort wasted to.

The days I camped to get a rare pet are over. The last time I did thats was for King Krush in wotlk and for Magria in cata. I camped for days to get the green devilsaus. Just standing on my same spot for days without doing anything else. Still using them both!
Maybe because I started in vanilla but I don't have the urge to tame all of them.I don't have the same feeling (like 10 years ago) after I tame a rare pet. For example I know I never gonne use Arcturis so I don't camp for him just to put him in my stable. Thats waste of time. Or I don't want a purple wolf so I dont put effort to get Gara "just for having it". Its not pokemon :P
If I want to tame a rare now I just past his spawn spot. If he didn't spawn I just do something else.

I'm not sure but can it have a impact on the servers?All that data from the tamed mobs are saved.More pets=more data. Maybe the servers start lagging when every hunter got hundreds of pets :?:

ps.I like the idea to have a zone where we can see our pets walking around.Like with the mounts in wod garrisons.
Vephriel wrote: My personal playstyle when it comes to hunter pets has always been focused more on individual bonds than a collector's mentality. I'm just stating that now because I know right off the bat this puts me in a different position from other people who like having as many as they can or seeking out rares for completion's sake.

I find that I struggle when I start to get too many pets because they lose a bit of meaning for me. Restricted or smaller stable sizes always had me make choices that in the end resulted in stronger feelings toward the pets that I felt were important enough to stay. Don't get my wrong, my stable is currently nearly as full as many of yours, but if I were forced to downsize right now, I could very easily let go of many of my pets that I don't use as often or aren't as attached to as others.
100% this.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

I agree with both Loridon and Vephriel. If it did happen, I wouldm't be upset or speak out against it. But I do think it is necessary to have more stable slots. I am almost full right now, but I could easily cut away several of them (including rares) if I had to make room.

Like Vephriel, I prefer to have a personal bond with my pets. I have several rare, unique, and realm-first pets. But most of them I never use. I tamed them, then stashed them away. I only use a handful of my tamed pets (mainly my wolf, Filos). The pets I use are those I truly care for.

I tamed Arcturis a long time back, but I have never used him since. I also tamed Gara the very night WoD launched, but have never used him since. There are many others that I have tamed, but like Loridon, I didn't camp them. Flew by to see if they were there and, if not, I moved on. If I absolutely had to make space, I would probably toss them out. I really don't feel any sort of bond with them.

Also, as Loridon said, there will never be enough slots. I k ow there are people on this site that would fill the new slots up asap. There are people that want to have every rare. Or people who want every member of a certain family. If given more slots, they would soon want more. There will never be emough, and just giving us infinite space would be ridiculous.

In regards to those that spend countless hours to farm for a pet, that is also your choice. It is also your choice if you want to tame every rare and unique pet available. But the consequence of this is that you will have little-to-no space left in the stable. If you choose not to make room, then you choose to continue to live with that consequence. No one is forcing you to spend that so much time camping pets, and no one is forcing you to fill up your stable.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

This is always an interesting topic to me. On one hand, we keep getting more and more unique tameable looks which would lend to increasing stable size to compensate. On the other hand, when is enough enough? Should we have 300 slots? 200? Where do we draw the line, and more interesting to me, why do we draw it there? I think its obvious we need a line to draw, but whats the logic we use to draw it? 50 seems arbitrary to me, but its a nice even number I guess. (I think the whole stable UI needs a makeover anyway FWIW)

I am almost full and I release and retame often. I don't develop the bond with pets some do. Theres a handful of original pets I keep for nostalgia sake, and would feel terrible if I released them so I guess in a way I do. But I don't use them for this reason. I go in "seasons" you could say. I use pets similar to transmog. I recently changed my transmog up and decided to pull out my shoveltusk and been loving it (especially now that I'm at a gear level I can run anything in Ferocity and be fine). Yesterday it was Fenryr. Tomorrow could be different. (I also love having a wide range for Dire Stable.) I used to have a "family" of 4 different color Hyenas. I had to cut them because it was taking up space, but I loved having them.

However there is an ever increasing number of pets that are a royal pain to retame if I ever wanted to use them. So these take up slots "just in case." I wouldn't release Loque because it would be insane trying to retame. I already feel loads of regret about Aotona and Krush for this very reason. The thing about pet usage is there isn't a right or wrong or better or worse way to look at it. Its all valid. To me, any argument that would be made against having 200 stable slots could be made against 50 because they're both arbitrary lines in the sand. If 200 is too much, 50 could be argued as too much. But I can see the flip side too, 50 isn't enough, is 200 enough? We have 52 families, over 700 skins. 42 basilisks, 41 birds of prey, 58 cats. What if someone wanted one of every cat? Who am I to say they should or should not? Having one of every cat is just as valid as me having 55 assorted pets. Some of my pets have not seen action (outside of Dire Beast) in a long time. And thats ok. And some have much smaller more stables that are more meaningful to them. and thats ok too. There isn't an objectively "wrong/right way" to use your stable.

There has to be a line but I have no idea how to objectively draw it. That being said, I do think they need to periodically increase it just for the simple fact there are hundreds of skins and each patch they graciously add more and more. That seems logical to me. I still don't know how to figure out what the new size should be, but I think it should be periodically revisited more often than it is now. I don't think adding 5-10 slots an xpac is unreasonable.

Edited for clarity.
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

I personally thing 50 is more than enough. Of course, I come from a time when we only had 5. I would have been happy if they bumped it up to 10.
But having those 5 pets made me really think on what I wanted and bound with those pets deeply. With 50, I just find it as storage for 'rare things that shouldnt have been tameable but were'.
Most of them never see the light of day.

Siggy under construction!

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Well said, Bowno. I also have played since Vanilla, and remember the days where we could only have a few pets. And though it was a blessing to be given the slots we have, the major benefit of how it originally was is that you would really have to think out and choose which pets you wanted to keep. This caused you to have an actual bond with them, rather than just hoarding. Of course, I do have a bond with my main pets, there is something lost from how it used to be.

As I said before, my stable is filled with unique and rare pets. But many of those pets are, as Bowno said, ones we weren't meant to have. I have several of the Sha pets, along with an oil wolf, the blue-mist spectral Outland vulture, etc. I will never take those pets out, so instead they will just forever remain in storage.
Loridon
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Loridon »

Haha yeah vanilla,when we only had 3 slots .Then we got 5 slots for a long time. I'm sure at the start from wotlk we still only had 5 slots. I tamed that green slime(Spirit of Koosu) back then. But I released to get another pet :( If I had known they made it untamable I would never have released it.

Back on topic. I'm a little bit surprised thats most comments are from ppl who dont need more stable slots. So far only Xylexia is asking for more then 50 slots. Where are the ppl that want more stable slots! :P
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

The fact is, big-time pet collectors are a minority amongst Hunters. Most are perfectly ok with just taming pets for Hero, Brez, and Spirit Beast, and maybe a couple they personally like.
Bristlenose
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Bristlenose »

I see it like this: The more tamable pets being added, the more slots needed to collect them. I rotate mine from time to time so I may have Loque one week then another it will be a mechnical spider. Or a bird. Sometimes it is one of the insects like a wasp or beetle. Maybe it will be a dinosaur or a wolf. There are so many choices and though we can have 50 of them, it does not make sense to limit it to 50 when there are 100's of tamable pets spread across 66 families. Yes, many are just skin variations but even collecting just one of every type of family is still impossible. Do we need 200? Only the most obsessed collector would need that. 100 would be enough for the future.

I have played since BC and some of the pets I have date from that era. It is not easy to just abandon a pet because something new and shiny has come along but you don't have space for it.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Most said that 55 was enough, but it wasn't long before some started wanting more. I can guarantee that there will be people that will very quickly fill 100 slots, which is their choice. But those same people will eventually start asking for more than 100. At what point is the line drawn? Being a pet collector is one thing, and being a pet hoarder is another.
Chya
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Chya »

Vephriel wrote:
My personal playstyle when it comes to hunter pets has always been focused more on individual bonds than a collector's mentality. I'm just stating that now because I know right off the bat this puts me in a different position from other people who like having as many as they can or seeking out rares for completion's sake.

I find that I struggle when I start to get too many pets because they lose a bit of meaning for me. Restricted or smaller stable sizes always had me make choices that in the end resulted in stronger feelings toward the pets that I felt were important enough to stay.
feel the same
Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

I'd like more because honestly, a lot of my tames have memories and stories. Like, my blue dino - a bunch of friends and I had spent some time on the island playing with outfits, getting tomes, taming our dinos. Or when my friends and I tamed Gara. Or a hunter who gave me the Loque tame after I lost Aotona. Or the server first Magria. I like all of them, and they all have their bonds to me whether it's an ability or a story. Or even if I just like the critter.

If I camped, and god- I spent 6+ weeks in that freaking Basin, for a rare, then it's just as dear to me. I'd be happy with 60-70 slots. 100 is just icing on the cake. Even if I'm not using them at the time, I do rotate now and then. They're all dear to me.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

That was a few out of 55 total pets. What about the rest? Are all of the 55 pets dear to you? That there aren't some that are just there? Pets without names? Pets that were used for a short time, put in the stable, then never used again?
Xylexia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Xylexia »

I also like to match pets to tmogs, and the majority (95%) of my pets are ones that I can't just go out and tame easily. Really the only ones I can get rid of are my wolf hawks because those are quick and easy retame.

I also don't tame this /just/ to tame them. Never been a huge fan of ghostcrawler or Arcturis so I never got them. I tame ones that are aesthetically pleasing to me and I use them for quite a while. Then I switch out new for older pets for various tmogs. They all get used. To imply that we tame just to tame and throw them in the stable to forget about makes no sense when you loved it enough to put so much time into hunting for it.

Anyway, i may be the minority here but i stand by the fact i shouldn't have to release pets I put a lot of time into getting just so I can tame a new one I've fallen in love with. That's like deleting a favorite character I've leveled up. Can't do it.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I wasn't necessarily saying that is what you do, Xylexia, but there are those that do.

But as I said before, if you choose to tame all of those pets, that is your choice, but there is the consequence of running out of room.

And as has been said before, where is the line drawn? The fact of the matter is, every limit will eventually be reached and people will start requesting or demanding for more. When does it stop?
Xylexia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Xylexia »

It'll stop when they stop adding species and expansion packs? As long as the world is expanding I feel the way we store our pets should as well. If not stable slots, then maybe a safari or wildlife refuge you could release favorite pets you put a lot of time into getting back in the wild. But they're still there incase you want then again, however you'd have to retame/ subdo/ bond with them to get them back. Make a challenge of some sort out of it.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I'm not refering to more beasts being added. I'm talking about at what point is a line drawn. The fact is, Blizz will most likely not design a safari, as interesting as it could be. Not even sure if such is possible in WoW.

So, assuming that there'll never be a safari, how many slots are enough? 100? 200? 500?
Xylexia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Xylexia »

I doubt we'll see more than another 5 expansions. So probably 100. If I'm wrong I hope I'll have quit by then lol!