Should we have more stable slots?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: Should we have more stable slots?

Unread post by Valnaaros »

When we got 50 a few xpacs ago, many said that would be enough. Yet, here we are. My point is that, for a small minority, there will never be enough, no matter how much is given (aside from some ridiculous high number). There has to be a line drawn somewhere.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Edited. Didn't want to be misunderstood.

So by what measure should max stable slots be decided on? It seems quite arbitrary at the moment, so whats a reasonable way to decide?

I could draft up "The Official Hunter Pet Taming Utilization Policy." This would define legitimate reasons to tame pets and keep them in your stables, as well as outline an extensive acceptable use policy for justified pets. It will detail how often a pet must be used, acceptable reasons it can be used, and for how long each month you must actively use the pet, in order to justify its place in your stable. Failure to comply will result in you being written a strongly worded letter advising the abandonment of said pet unless you write a 3 page justification on why you should be able to keep that pet, and why you didn't use it enough to meet guidelines. An apology will be required as well. As a punishment, you must use an ugly pet for one week, but then immediately abandon it as it likely will not meet the guidelines.

I jest of course, but using player taming practices or pet utilization seems to be a poor measure to determine stable size by in my opinion. I'm glad other systems like, battle pets or appearances, aren't subject to such arbitrary limitations!
Novikova
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

Valnaaros wrote:That was a few out of 55 total pets. What about the rest? Are all of the 55 pets dear to you? That there aren't some that are just there? Pets without names? Pets that were used for a short time, put in the stable, then never used again?
Actually, yes. I've used all of them in rotation. Most of them do have stories, and some I just like. Some I use more often than others, but they all see outside time eventually. I did have to trim a couple out to get space and it's a total bummer.

I don't think it's fair to say only those who bond to a few pets is the only valid stance. Some of us just love animals, and lots of them. Indecision is my strong point.

Honestly, I'd be happy with just another page or two of spots but with each expac or new area, new critters get added. :/ Sure, there's folks who will never be happy, but that's on them.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

I find myself very conflicted about this every time the subject comes up. It's a little less conflicting now that my hunter has gone the way of my shaman and been basically abandoned (even though her death was long and drawn out given how long ago the things that ultimately killed her happened), but I still want to love and play her.

My position is that as long as there are family-specific abilities or rare/challenge tames, we will need more stable slots every time a new family or rare/challenge tame is added and with that in mind, we're overdue. Once families and unique looks finally go the way of the scorpion from Uldum, stables can be a static size and mostly ignored (and I'd even argue that 55 is plenty in that universe). I'm sure some people remember how angry some people got when Madexx's skins started getting reused, but are there still people mad about it now that we're... three? expansions down the line? Maybe a little, but not nearly as much. Would people get real mad at there being a common, non-rare spawn cat somewhere that uses the Loque model? Absolutely they would... but it wouldn't last forever, and the hunter pet game would ultimately be better for it.

Sure, some people need their Loque to be THE Loque, and those people can hang onto that Loque if they want to, but I find it hard to believe that even among pet hoarders, there's not one or two pets they're less attached to than others, and that—if that pet skin was readily available without another major time or effort investment—they would be willing to get rid of in order to get whatever the New Hotness was. I also feel like it would open up a lot more people to using more varied skins if there weren't "prestigious" skins but we're deviating wildly from the topic at hand (because I'm much more passionate about artificial skin scarcity than I am about stable slots, apparently).

TLDR: With family-specific abilities and unique challenge/rare tames in the game, more stable slots are needed. Get rid of those and the number of people who need more than 55 stable slots goes down DRASTICALLY.
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

It isn't necessarily the only valid stance. I too love animals and I love the appearances of many pets in WoW. But I know that if I was to tame everything that I liked the look of, that not only would my stable be full, but it would be of pets that I truly have no bond or connection with. Many feel the same way in this regard. Take Vephriel's post, for example. Even if you love them all, there is a point where there is just too many of them. Just becomes a mass of pets.

You are right, that the unsatisfaction is on those whom will never have enough. Blizz could give us another 50 slots right now, and I wouldn't be surprised if we start hearing murmuring for more slots before the next xpax is over. They will always want more, but it doesn't mean that more should just keep being given.

@Xella In regards to family abilities, there are really only a few that are basically required to have: Hero, a Brez, and Spirit Mend (if you're BM). Outside of that, maybe you would want the slowfall from Rylaks or Feathermanes incase you aren't using Goblin Gliders. It used to be that there were many more vital or at least useful family abilities. But Legion did away with much of that. So, that means there are really only three pets that you must have (if you care for that stuff).

For rare/challenge tames, that is something no one is required to do. If you choose to spend the time and effort to get those pets, that is your decision. It is also your decision if you decide to tame every single rare/challenge pet there is, and thus the consequence of less stable slots.
Shelassa
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU Magtheridon

Unread post by Shelassa »

My position on the matter is simple: there is no dire need for extra stable slots, but there is also no harm in adding them.

For those who prefer the trusty company of one or a handful of pets, this will change nothing. For those who might have a use for them, it is a plus. So either way, this seems like a positive change.
It is not up to me to disregard how someone's playing the game. If a person wants to collect all the rare pets like Spirit Beasts and challenge tames, why not? In a way, it is also a form of progression, exclusive only to Hunters as a class.
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

Valnaaros wrote:@Xella In regards to family abilities, there are really only a few that are basically required to have: Hero, a Brez, and Spirit Mend (if you're BM). Outside of that, maybe you would want the slowfall from Rylaks or Feathermanes incase you aren't using Goblin Gliders. It used to be that there were many more vital or at least useful family abilities. But Legion did away with much of that. So, that means there are really only three pets that you must have (if you care for that stuff).
Yes, which is why I don't have as many stable issues as I might otherwise. But if it weren't for family-specific abilities, I would still have a handful more stable slots than I do. Not because of EXISTING family abilities (though I wouldn't have a nether ray or core hound or quilen if I didn't have to—mana rays may make the difference there, but core hounds and quilen are both too large and bulky for my pet tastes), but because of the POSSIBILITY of family abilities. I recently released a chimaera I don't want but held onto for an excessively long time in case they gain an ability I may need again because it's a hard-to-get skin which is the best of a bad lot. My water strider has a family ability so I don't feel like I can get rid of it, even though if it was JUST the skin I would never use one. And heck—the water strider is an out of combat ability whose utility I already have in at least two other places (the Angler's raft and the artifact fishing pole). There's no real logical reason for me to feel obligated to have a water strider, and it's not like its water walking does me much good while it languishes back in the stables in Dalaran or wherever.

There's like, four or five other pets that I hold onto out of a sense of obligation because they're harder-to-get skins (the firelands crab, my two extra spirit beasts, both devilsaur—Thok'delar could get tossed if necessary though, since he's tameable in LFR). I like them, but I don't use them (even when I'm not beholden to heroism and battle rez) and if I could just pick them up whenever I would feel a lot better about letting them go if I needed the space... or wanted better rolls of the dice for Dire Beast skins, but y'know :P
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

It really is a shame that there aren't more family abilities, but that is a subject for another thread.
Novikova

Boy, the gutting of pet abilities did make me a sad panda but yeah, that's another thread.

Still, even if you just get one or two of each family - it really adds up quickly. And if we keep getting more lands to grab pets from, especially rare or challenge pets, it just gets tough to keep going.

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Then it is your personal choice of whether to tame those pets, and thus fill up the Stable, or not. I understand perfectly the allure of new pets, the issues of a nearly-full stable, and having to choose who to keep and who to get rid of. But I also understand that Blizz can't just keep giving us more and more stable slots. There has to be a line drawn somewhere, or else it turns from collecting into hoarding. Also, we aren't sure how the whole thing works technically. It may be difficult for them to give more stable slots, or it causes problems of some sort. It is hard to say without someone on the inside sharing that information.
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

Still a fan of let those of us who want more be able to buy more stable slots, and just making them more and more expensive as you get higher.

Loridon
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Loridon »

Like I said in my other post I'm indifferent about this topic. Its okay for me if we keep 55 slot.If they give us more slots thats okay too.

For ppl that got problems now with the amount of slot and want to tame new pets. Before the tame you need to ask yourself if you rlly need that pet and gonne use it. You must be able to answer this question with at least "possible". If its just for catching dust in your stable...dont waste any time and slot on it.

As an example. I dont connect with insect pets. I have tried wasp because they had a useful skill against rogues in the past. But I didnt bound with him. Same story with beetles,no connection. I abondon my silithids the same day as I tamed it. So if they come with a rare insect spirit beast (like thats gonne happen :roll: ) I dont gonne tame it.
Xylexia wrote:I also like to match pets to tmogs
Its not something I do. But I understand it,you have a valid argument there.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I have noticed that back when we had 25 pet slots, many more hunters had filled stables, and when they added 50, most people couldn't even imagine how they would fill them up. When we had 25 pet slots, players with a wide range of taming styles wanted more slots; now that we have 50, it seems that it's only the rare collectors that think it is not enough.

I think a good guideline for how many *total* (we now have 55) pet slots to have is at least the total number of pet families...+1 :)

If a person wants to collect all the rare pets like Spirit Beasts and challenge tames, why not?
Because there has to be limits. I love insects. In game, I especially love taming beetles, moths, silithids, wasps. In the past, I've had multiple silithids, wasps, half a dozen beetles, all at once. That was my choice, and I do not expect blizzard to give me space to tame every insect in game. When I decide I need space for a new tame, I take a hard look at my insect collection. People who tame rares should do the same. I don't think it's possible to convince me that someone has an intimate relationship with 50 rares. Take some nice screenshots of the unused pets, write a nice story, and release them back into the wild, so they can get some sunshine.
Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

Talihawk wrote:Still a fan of let those of us who want more be able to buy more stable slots, and just making them more and more expensive as you get higher.
^This sounds like the most logical and reasonable thing to do. Make the limit something like 100, and you have to pay every additional pet or every 5 pets or something.

I read this board, logged into my hunter and found four pets that I could let go immediately. Yes I have my favorites-the basic coyote-style wolf (Snarler) I've had since I started, the Loque I camped MONTHS for, the King Krush that stomped my face many times before I could tame him, the purple hippogryff that I hated at first but now adore, and so on-but there were a number of pets that I tamed and had fun with for awhile but I do not need to keep in the long run.

Anyways, it would be interesting to see what Blizz thought of all of this, if they had a reason for or against extra stable slots. We have so many right now-I remember when it was only five, now seems like too many, but then I always fill my stable with new pets every time something new comes out so I can see both sides.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Ok, I'm taking a sharp turn here, but what if the whole Hati transmog thing was a test run of adding hunter pet *appearances* to the collections UI? How would everyone feel about being able to change the appearance of our regular pets?
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I completely agree, Gorman. Whilst I can see people having a bond with several pets - I myself do - I just cannot believe that someone has an intimate bond with 55 pets and gives them all equal treatment. No matter how hard a person tries, there will always be a handful of pets that you will like more than all the rest, and these same pets will be the ones that you will usually have out.

I think that being able to change Hati was just so everyone didn't have a wolf as their second pet. In the next xpac, I can easily see BM having two pets by default. Currently, your main pet is a bit stronger than Hati, and that would be how it is later on. But instead of having to use an item to swap Hati's appearance with something else, you just swap in an entirely different pet.

@Shade. After reading what you said, I did the same. There are several pets that, if I needed to, I could let go. I could easily tame them again, and I don't really have a bond with them. I have a few challenge tames, and even those I could get again. In reality, most Challenge tames aren't really that difficult. I mean, you have some like Fenryr that take a bit of effort to get, but the majority can be easily reobtained.
Novikova

Dude. Plenty of people have pets they don't always get to bring out, including the ones with the odd buffs like sword in the head wolf to keep them from losing the buff. And I wouldn't say stuff like Loque is easy to reobtain. I never see it up any more and a lot of rares are nightmarish to get with CRZ and long respawns. I seriously don't wanna even think about trying to recamp Loque. It hurts.

Sure, I might favor some pets more than others sometimes, but. I like tons of critters. I've had a hunter since nearly release. If someone doesn't want more stable slots, that's fine, don't use 'em. But it is nice for folks who do use them, and would be a great option - even if I have to pay for them. There's no reason anyone should feel bad about asking for or hoping for them.

Someone might have a few pets they like and leave it at that. That's cool. It's a very valid stance. But a lot of people enjoy having options, like collecting a particular type, or whatever. And that's okay. It's sort of a 'great for those who want it, not hurting those who don't' kinda thing. If all families get abilities again, it's definitely rough because even with a couple from each, space fills fast.

Or even if pets became like t-mogs and had a 'stable' tab that people could use (I SWEAR TO GOD LEGION JUST FIRED EVERY FREAKING STABLE MASTER EXCEPT TWO OR THREE) wherever they are.
Last edited by Novikova on Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

My own opinion on this subject, and I won't be dragged into a cyclical discussion on it, is that it's well and truly time for more slots.

Of course, a Hunter won't be closely bonded to all 55 pets in their collection, or even the majority. And I'm perfectly ok with that. The other slots are for things they want to try out and keep and maybe pull out now and then. Since these creatures aren't actually alive and there's no issue of ethics it's perfectly fine for them to sit locked away in a stable for 99% of their lives. Experience has shown that Hunters still have their go-to pets that they do have a close fondness for and will always get out. Increasing stable slots hasn't destroyed that in the past and still won't.

The net effect of the current restriction is that Hunters are less inclined to tame new things just for fun. And I believe that's a very bad thing - for our class, and for the Petopia community.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Novikova

Wain wrote:My own opinion on this subject, and I won't be dragged into a cyclical discussion on it, is that it's well and truly time for more slots.

Of course, a Hunter won't be closely bonded to all 55 pets in their collection, or even the majority. And I'm perfectly ok with that. The other slots are for things they want to try out and keep and maybe pull out now and then. Since these creatures aren't actually alive and there's no issue of ethics it's perfectly fine for them to sit locked away in a stable for 99% of their lives. Experience has shown that Hunters still have their go-to pets that they do have a close fondness for and will always get out. Increasing stable slots hasn't destroyed that in the past and still won't.

The net effect of the current restriction is that Hunters are less inclined to tame new things just for fun. And I believe that's a very bad thing - for our class, and for the Petopia community.
What about a trapezoid shaped discussion? And honestly, until the devs pipe up, I suspect it is a circular discussion. Some of us want more space, some of us don't. And I agree with you entirely. Having the room to tame new things is great. Though, having an appearances style tab stable might be nice so I don't have to rush all the way back to Dalaran, Trueshot Lodge or wherever the last freaking stablemaster is.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

As I have said before in this thread, I also have pets that I never take out. Again, I have a few of the Sha pets, Oiled Wolf, Sword Wolf, etc. etc. I never take those pets out, even just to check if they even still have their unique appearances. I also have a few rare pets, including unobtainables and things like Loque. I'm not referring to those sorts of pets. I am referring to pets that one could easily get again. The robo spiders, Gara, most (if not all) of the Pandaria challenges, etc. Not Loque, Arcturis, or any the older rares with long respawns.

As I have also said before, I love tons of the pets ingame, and I have also been playing this game (as a Hunter) since launch. There are tons of pets that I love the appearance of, but I know that I wouldn't consistently use them. For example, I love the Wolfhawks. Every now and then I consider taming one, but I then acknowledge that I would only use it for a short time before stashing it away in my stable and, eventually, just getting rid of it.

If it is made an option, then so be it. But as myself and plenty of others have said in this thread, there has to be a line. A limit. If Blizz was to give us another 50 slots in 7.3, I can guarantee that would not be enough for a small amount of people. By the end of the next xpac, I'm sure we would see some becoming vocal about running out of space and wanting even more space. What then? Another 50? We are collectors, not hoarders.

True, my stance is a valid one, as is that of those whom decide to collect a particular type or having a wide variety of pets. But that comes with a consequence. You collect a ton of pets, you will run out of room.