30 Day Site Write Challenge

Ashaine
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Silver Hand (H) Scarlet Crusade (A)

30 Day Site Write Challenge

Unread post by Ashaine »

Greetings fellow role-players!

I've been eyeing this empty forum lately and I think it's far past time I did something about it and got some active RP going. So, I would like to propose a 30 Day Site Write Challenge!

_____

What is a Site Write?

A Site Write is a short story you write on a whim about a given topic/event/place/person/word/ect. You are simply asked to write whatever comes to mind and heart. There are no limits to how long your story can be, but please keep in mind that we are not writing novels here. ;)

Site Writes are a wonderful way to flesh out a character, help get over any writer’s block you may be having, aid in inspiration, and keep those creative juices flowing! The goal of a site write, is to stimulate your creative side by having you write about reactions, events, situations, etc. that you may or may not normally see your character in. Think of this writing topic as a way to break between your story lines and give personal depth where you may not have had the chance to before.

So here's how it works. Each day, for 30 days, you would be given a simple writing prompt.

(Example):
  • Switching Places - Somehow by magic, your character has switched bodies with one of his/her friends/guildmates/enemies. What would you do while in this person's body?
You would then write a short story for your character about this topic.

_____

The Site Write Challenge -

If you think you would enjoy being part of this writing exercise and want to gain a chance at winning a cool prize, then I challenge you to this 30 day Site Write!

The rules are simple, just post every day for a month, starting September 1st, and you will be rewarded at the end of it.

What exactly is the reward? Heck if I know, but trust me it will be worth it. (I'm kicking around the idea of a piece of artwork/signature of one of your characters, or an in-game pet/mount, we will see.) If anyone would like to volunteer prizes (such as art, etc.), please let me know!

Suppose you decide to join the Challenge after its start. Can you still reap the benefits? Yes and no. If you are able to make up and finish all writing prompts by the October 1st deadline, then yes. If not, then no. You have to complete the 30 writing prompts in 30 days to obtain a reward of any sort.

Pretty simple and clear. Post for 30 days, get something nice! (You are also more than welcome to post regardless if you want a prize or not).

_____

*Special Notes*

Starting October 1st, I will post the first topic of the day below. After that I will post a new topic once per day. All I ask, is that you stay on topic, that it be Warcraft related (since this is Petopia after all), that you follow all forum rules, and that it relates to the topic that is given.

Most of all - HAVE FUN! :D
Last edited by Ashaine on Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Ashaine Silverfel - <Dreadblade Assassins> - Silver Hand US - Faileas#1676
Deviantart | Facebook | Signature Shop | Flight Rising
"Not all who wander are lost."

Guildmaster • Hunter-Friendly RP Guild • Always Recruiting! • PM me!

Ashaine
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Re: 30 Day Site Write Challenge

Unread post by Ashaine »

Site Write Challenge Topics:

1. PURPOSE - What's worth fighting for to your character? What drives and motivates them?

2. FRIENDSHIP - Tell a story about your character and a friendship they have.

3. PET PEEVES - Everyone has them. What are the little things which make your character tick? Describe their pet peeves!

4. SLEEPLESS - Something has caused your character to become sleepless. A bout of insomnia perhaps or maybe they are working through the night on something? This can be anything related to the topic word. Have fun and describe why!

5. FEAR - Tell a story where your character encounters one of their fears.

6. PACT - An old man in a tavern screeches about the deals people make with the Burning Legion to grant them 'powers' or something special. He turns to someone and accuses them of making such a pact. While it is easy to dismiss the old fool, your character wonders about something. If given the chance to make an exchange with a demon, what would they ask for and what would they give up to have it?

7. HEIRLOOM - This one is up to your interpretation entirely. Perhaps your character has some sort of family heirloom, just found out one exists, or is helping someone else find one, the possibilities are endless. Just make sure to use the heirloom in the story!

8. SURPRISE - Tell a story where your character is caught by surprise or perhaps surprises someone else, etc. Again, up to your interpretation of the word. Be creative!

9. PRANK - Your character pulls a prank on someone or is the victim of a prank. How do they react/what do they do?

10. SECRETS - We all carry them. What is one of your character's secrets?

11. RACE CHANGE / GENDER CHANGE - Perhaps your character has tripped into a Gnomish/Goblin device, been a victim of a spell gone awry, used a strange trinket, or drank an unknown potion which changes your character's race or possibly their gender! What happened to your character? How do they look and what did they do while under the transformation for a few hours?

12. ENEMY / RIVAL - We all have them. Who is your character's enemy or rival? Is it a specific person or perhaps just the opposing faction? Write about an encounter they had with an enemy/rival.

13. POWER - Today's topic is about having the option to have an immensely powerful item or ability, and whether or not they would use it. Azeroth is full of powers far and wide. Tell us about a time your character came across some said power and if they succumbed to the temptation to use it.

14. CROSS-FACTION - How does your character see the other faction? Allies, enemies? Lovers, haters? Write a story about how your character would interact with someone from the opposing faction. How does your character respond to them? What would happen?

15. REGRET - What is one of your character's regrets?

16. OBSESSION / COMPULSION - Write about an obsession or compulsion that your character has or had.

17. CAPTURED - Your character is captured and taken away. Where do they end up? Who caught them and most importantly, how are they saved/how do they get out?

18. CHILDHOOD - Whether it be a dream or perhaps someone slips a potion into your drink at the tavern without you knowing. Either way, you are transported to the memory of where your character grew up. What is it like? What does your character see? Do they catch a glimpse of themselves in a childhood memory? After your experience, you open your eyes and realize you are back in the same place as you grew up in. What changed? How does your character feel?

19. UNANTICIPATED RESULTS - Perhaps it was something you were crafting or an experiment that didn't turn out quite the way you intended, etc. This can be anything relating to this topic. Be creative!

20. DECEPTION - Write a story based around a time when your character was deceived or perhaps was the one deceiving someone else.

21. EMBARRASSED - Write about a time when your character was embarrassed by a situation, etc. What happened?

22. LOVE - Write about a time your character found love, be it in a person, place, ect. Write about something or someone they love.

23. LOSS / LETTING GO - Write about a time your character lost someone or something or had to let something go.

24. TEMPTATION - Describe a time where your character was tempted by something or perhaps someone. Do they give in or overcome this temptation?

25. ALTERNATE UNIVERSE - Your character has a dream where the world as they know it is different, as are they. Perhaps Arthas never became the Lich King and instead Jaina did. Perhaps Lordaeron never fell. Perhaps the Horde and Alliance are not at war. There are endless possibilities for this alternate dream world. Who are you in this world and how is it different from the current one? Describe and explain!

26. RE-DO - Somehow by magic, your character is given one shot to redo and/or take back something that happened in their lives. What would they take back? Would your character take the offer or would they decide against playing with fate?

27. DISGUISED - Your character is forced to wear a disguise, whether it be to gather information or required for a costume ball, etc. It is entirely up to you!

28. SWITCHING PLACES - Somehow by magic, your character has temporarily switched bodies with someone. What would you do while in this person's body?

29. FATAL FLAW - What is that one thing that would cause your character to snap? Write a story where your character has to deal with an event that brings their fatal flaw into play. What would they do?

30. DEATH - Describe the ideal death for your character or perhaps how your character thinks they will meet their end. Perhaps they had a nightmare they thought was real or had an experience where they had to be resurrected. Death Knights and Forsaken can tell their stories. It is entirely up to you!
Last edited by Ashaine on Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 34 times in total.
Ashaine
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ashaine »

Reserved. Just in case.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Oh this is cool; I participated in something similar a while back. :D

Do we have all month to work on the story/prompt? I'm interested, but likely won't be too fast coming up with stories depending on how things are going with school and life at home. :)

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Ashaine
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ashaine »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:Oh this is cool; I participated in something similar a while back. :D

Do we have all month to work on the story/prompt? I'm interested, but likely won't be too fast coming up with stories depending on how things are going with school and life at home. :)
I completely understand! You will have 30 days to finish all thirty prompted stories to qualify for a prize. If you're not interested in a prize and just want to complete it for fun, then you can definitely go over the deadline (and I hope if people miss the deadline, they do continue to complete the writing prompts for fun)! I'm doing this to try and get all the great writers here, writing again! :D

I ran this for my RP guild a few years ago and it was a huge hit. I hope it will be just as popular here. ♥
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Oh cool. I will be doing my best to get myself involved then. :)

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Ashaine
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ashaine »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:Oh cool. I will be doing my best to get myself involved then. :)
I look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with for the challenges! :D

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

This sounds very fun! I've also got school coming up, so I'm not sure what timing will be like, but I'll try to participate also!

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Inay
Petopia Artist
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU)

Unread post by Inay »

It does would help me to flesh out some characters, but I guess it would be only in english?
Nick
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Nick »

I might join in, though if I don't get a solid idea for a prompt, I might not be able to write for it :? My inspiration is picky like that lol...

Battlenet: Nick#115610
|| Tumblr || Flight Rising || Twitter ||

Varethyn
Petopia Artist
Realm: Azjol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Varethyn »

Also interested in joining! It was sad seeing these forums go unused after so many great RPs played out here.

Check out PetEmote here! | Visit my Flight Rising lair!

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Ashaine
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ashaine »

LupisDarkmoon: I'm glad to hear it! :D I do hope to see people continue to write here even if they don't make the deadline. ♥
Inay: Site writes are always a great way to flesh out characters. It would be in English though. (Just so everyone will be able to read and enjoy it.) :D
Alex: I'd love to see you join in. If only for the prompts that catch your eye and imagination. ;)
Varethyn: I'm delighted to hear that you'll join in and I couldn't agree more about being sad at the current lack of activity in this forum! I really hope this will encourage others to also try to brush the dust off these walls and post more. :D

Inay
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Inay »

Ashaine: I'll try, but as english isn't my first language, if someone want to read behind me to correct my mistakes it would be nice. :) (It will make me work my english! :D)
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

I might give it a shot. Do you have to use the same character each day?
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

I'd love to give this a try, but I worry that college starts pretty much the day before these prompts start coming in :') I can definitely give it a go, though, as I'd like to get a better feel of Krys as a character in writing, than just what she is now :)
Death_Dino420
Petopia Artist
Realm: Emerald Dream, Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Death_Dino420 »

Ooh I'd love to join in as well!

Lovely signature by the great Ashaine!!
Flight Rising | Deviantart | Toyhou.se

Ashaine
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ashaine »

I'm so glad this is getting so much interest! :D

Sadly however, the start date for this may get pushed back until October 1st. My father's health declined unexpectedly this week. He's been in the hospital since Thursday in critical condition and my days lately have consisted of me being at the hospital with him and home only to eat and sleep. :( I'm not sure I will have the time I had hoped to start this on September 1st. I promise this will still happen, the start date is just a bit up in the air right now. So stay tuned. ♥

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

You and your family come first. Just fire this up when you're able; we'll be here when you're ready and well. :) :hug:

[/center]
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

Don't worry about starting this one time at all - like Tyger said, you and your family come first. Wishing you all the best :hug:
Inay
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Inay »

Don't worry about us, like they said, your family is more important, and we'll still be here when you'll be back. :hug: