Battle for Azeroth creatures

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Re: Battle for Azeroth creatures

Unread post by Teigan »

I had a dream that I tamed one of those giant isopod things....it was glorious!

Anyway, I wish the NR style yetis were tameable. I too would love to have an ape-like pet that didn't look as horrible as the gorillas or monkeys. I can't stand either. The monkeys due to the way they move and the gorillas due to the fact they have one polygon that they share amongst the entire population. But, I actually didn't know yetis were considered intelligent as a race and had hoped they'd someday be tameable. Huh. Sad, but interesting. But, hey, just look at raptors. They're clearly intelligent, have civilizations of a sort....
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I'm not a huge fan of gorillas, but even I think the Northrend/Pandaria yeti models would be a great addition to the family.

And honestly, when it comes down to it, Blizzard could flip a switch tomorrow and make them tameable and no one would bat an eye really. We can debate the logistics all we want, but at the end of the day I just...don't believe they put as much thought into it as we do haha. If a model looks and feels right it may just happen, we have all sorts of exceptions already. I don't think tameable yetis would hurt anyone or even be a major breach of lore. It would be nice to see them around more, in my opinion. :)
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Raptors are considered very intelligent, yes, but we don't know if they are sapient or just very smart. They can build very crude huts/nests, and are capable of creating a primitive form of jewelry. But that doesn't make them a sapient race. Yetis has been shown to be sapient and have actually spoken Common, as I have said. Though I'm not sure whether Blizz really, really thinks about the logistics of a creature when they consider making it tamable, I doubt they would miss the fact that Yetis can speak. Blizz has said that they do read Wowpedia quite frequently when going about their work.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Based solely on the model, the knuckle-walking yeti variant could easily have become a beast. But Blizzard have always racially equated it with humanoid yetis, and when they are added as beasts they’re usually corrected later to be humanoids, so it seems Blizzard really wants it that way and it’s unlikely that will change now. A modified version of the model could form the basis for an awesome gorilla, though.

As for raptors wearing feathers and ornaments, I wonder if that was originally intended or if it was just another case of things being attached to the model for racial reasons and it being not worth the hassle of modifying them for the wild, like braids on oxen and yaks and owlcats, and creepy nelf ears on the old storm crows. Either way, it’s part of lore now. It’s something that should be much easier to modify in future models as the artists are increasingly adding geosets that can be switched off at the appearance level, like horns on Argus talbuks. Future beasts could be configured to display ornament for domestic beasts and hide it for wild ones, all on the same model.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I agree, Wain. It is possible that Raptors were originally designed that way due to the Trolls. Blizz's tech was very limited back in Vanilla, and so they may have not wanted to design two separate textures (jewelry and non-jewelry) for all raptor colors. They may have started, as seen with the green, non-jewelry variant, but never finished.
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Where do yetis speak Common? I missed that and I'm really curious now!
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

In Northrend, one of the Yetis (in Storm Peaks, I believe) yells at you in Common. Seeing as he is just a normal Yeti, it has been deduced that all Yetis are capable of speaking. Wowpedia even lists their language as Common.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Vephriel wrote:I'm not a huge fan of gorillas, but even I think the Northrend/Pandaria yeti models would be a great addition to the family.

And honestly, when it comes down to it, Blizzard could flip a switch tomorrow and make them tameable and no one would bat an eye really. We can debate the logistics all we want, but at the end of the day I just...don't believe they put as much thought into it as we do haha. If a model looks and feels right it may just happen, we have all sorts of exceptions already. I don't think tameable yetis would hurt anyone or even be a major breach of lore. It would be nice to see them around more, in my opinion. :)
This. I would honestly like to see the more knuckledragging (like the WoD challenge mode mounts) type made tameable eventually. I'm not going to worry too much about the logistics, as Vephriel noted. It's always been muddy waters, really, the whole notion of one creature being a representative of the entire species when they use a human language.

In the end, it looks like Blizzard wants to keep them humanoid for now, so I won't complain about that either. I'm not a huge supporter of them, though. They'd be a cool addition, especially if they became part of the gorilla family, which already has very little option. But I wouldn't lose sleep over it not happening.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Razzy
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Razzy »

Like Wain said, I think the knuckle walking yeti could very easily be reskinned and slightly modified into a new gorilla model. I wouldn't mind seeing the yetis become tameable, either.
evil950510
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Alleria

Unread post by evil950510 »

Either corrupted or updated Silithid models labeled as mounts, but may have tameable versions add in game too.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Posts in regards to 7.3.5 are in a thread over in the Pet Discussion section :)
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Eee, I want that dark silithid as a mount...although its body is so tilted, I'm unsure if I am up to the challenge.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Was looking over some Blizzcon zone videos and found some things.

Since it's a person running around and not really zooming in, they're obviously not highly detailed pictures, but they give some indication.

Looks like gorillas, much like hyenas and tarantulas, are getting a much-needed upgrade.

Still can't quite get over how good those new lizards look.

Indeed looks like we got some updated vultures:

Sadly, the player used the map and sped past the tarantulas
so I couldn't get any better shots than these. Not much can be seen, but two things that seem verifiable to me: 1) the texture resolution is far higher .. obviously.

And 2) they seem to be working off the old design, exaggerated chelicerae and all, so they'll probably update throughout the old world, too.

Can't wait until beta arrives to see the new models properly, haha.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Vephriel

Gasp, thank you for those shots Qraljar! I've been hoping for even a glimpse. So pleased that we're finally getting another proper tarantula!! :D

I'm so excited about the big lizards, and wow the vultures look fantastic! That's the best shot of the new vulture I've seen so far, you can really see the details well.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I'm very excited about the Gorillas! Have been wanting an update for them for a long time :D
Vephriel

Qraljar wrote:
Can't wait until beta arrives to see the new models properly, haha.
Same, I am chomping at the bit to see all the new datamined models. Legion beta started in May last year I believe? I hope we don't have to wait that long.. D:
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I would guess a month after 7.3.5 is deployed.
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

New vultures are looking cool! It's very exciting to see glimpses of new stuff!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Wow, thanks Qraljar! Those are very nicely spotted. :) I really need to get a BfA speculation page up and running. Mind if I use some shots from here if I do?

Those models look beautiful. I especially like the true-to-form vulture update. It’s great gorillas are finally getting some love, though the clumped hair makes it look like some got stuck in their fur. Sorry, I probably shouldn’t have said that. ;)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

Oh, those vultures in particular look fantastic!