pets for non-hunters

For discussion while BlizzCon is running. Anything pertinent to WoW will be moved to the appropriate forums after BlizzCon is over.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

pets for non-hunters

Unread post by Xota »

It's not just hunter pets that need to be kept up to date. Warlock pets got a lot of attention recently, except for the still absent incubi. And DK's core pets have fairly recent models.
The basic water elemental, though, really needs an update. It could stand having more fluid looking animations, like its cast could look like it was stretching out its arm, using its own water for its spells. It could have a few more animations, to give it more character. Like for summoning, it could be a giant drip coming out of the ground. For a dance, it could do the arm wave. But most importantly, the skin and particles engine really need an update. It doesn't look like splashing at all. It has those weird sort of ridges / fins that don't look like water, and the refraction lines are static.
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=510/water-el ... iewer:10+0
In my opinion, water elementals should look more like the water on the "Balance of Power" (Flow of the First) version of Ebonchill. Wowhead doesn't show the refraction lines in its modelviewer, but they move. The particle engine even looks more like water spray.
http://www.wowhead.com/item=128862/ebon ... odelviewer

ok, back to DK. This is more a wishlist for alternate "ghoul" models and accompanying "dark transformations". I personally don't like the current 'dark transformation'. It doesn't look like a transformation as much as a temporary replacement. I'd have the ghoul transform into a larger, sauronite spiked ghoul. The vrykul skeleton would transform into a vargul. I'd have more options for skeletons too, since we saw troll skeletons in blizzcon pictures, and we've had orc skeletons since WoD. Both of those riggings have fleshy undead models/skins that could be used for dark transformation.

I'm probably wishing too big, but water elementals really need to be updated.
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Re: pets for non-hunters

Unread post by Teigan »

I would love to see those things too. I definitely want more skeletons for my DK! My mage is a baby, and is arcane, but that is actually partially because the water elemental looks like jello. The water effect on that weapon would be a nice change to it.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Incubi may never be seen. Legion was the perfect opportunity, and we didn't see them. Possible that they aren't even around anymore, since it is believed that the Succubi ate them all.

The Water Elemental is on the short list to be updated (according to an interview some months ago).

DKs may not get any updates, at least until another LK xpac, seeing as they just got the Ghoul and Abomination updated.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

It’s a shame if they don’t produce incubi. It’s more than a bit last-century that the most female demons are usually the most sexualized. It needs to be spread around to both sexes :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Wain wrote:It’s a shame if they don’t produce incubi. It’s more than a bit last-century that the most female demons are usually the most sexualized. It needs to be spread around to both sexes :)
Ugh, yeah. :/ Still pretty disappointed they never came through on their promise to give warlock demons more gender options.
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

Wain wrote:It’s a shame if they don’t produce incubi. It’s more than a bit last-century that the most female demons are usually the most sexualized. It needs to be spread around to both sexes :)
I totally agree. =/ I was really looking forward to the gender options they promised since I assumed Legion would have been the perfect time for that. Would have really balanced things out and given warlocks more pet variety.

Its a shame. I have a warlock modeled after one of my original characters who is always bickering with her snarky incubus and i had hoped this would be the xpack where i finally got to have her run around with the proper demon in game.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

It makes sense with Succubi, since that has always been what they are. Besides, the majority of male demons are already sexualized. Most male demons just wear short pants or somesort of greaves, are shirtless, and are extremely muscular. Look at Archimonde, KJ, Wrathguards, Doomguards, Felguards, Mo'arg, etc.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

I always believe that Pandaren Mages and Shaman should have gotten Pandarian elementals instead of the standard ones.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

The Water Elemental deserves so much love, just like Gorillas, Hyenas, and all the other outdated models. Compared to today's standards, the old Water Elemental looks like a fish with sturdy chest muscles that jumped through a construction paper factory. It's an iconic design, and altering it in any way that would remove how unique it looks would be absolutely HERETICAL, but it needs a touch up so badly. I did a Darkheart Thicket run last night before reset, and those blood elementals look so bad compared to all the good models in the instance.

As for Incubi, those are just male Succubi, right? Just make a shirtless dude in hotpants with a very obvious bulge for compensation purposes, maybe add some really dumb hairstyle that you'd find on those "straight" male fashion models, and bam; Incubi. Bonus points for using the same guy who voiced Archmage Xylem, because that guy totally sounded like he needed female companionship. I personally don't even use my Succubus that much (mainly because it's a trash pet outside of pve, and I suck at pvp with Warlock), but if it ever became useful, I'd have a sexy red demon gal at my side 24/7. I do love me some succubutt. I wouldn't use an Incubus, but for those that would want it, the option should eventually be there.
Valnaaros wrote: It makes sense with Succubi, since that has always been what they are. Besides, the majority of male demons are already sexualized. Most male demons just wear short pants or somesort of greaves, are shirtless, and are extremely muscular. Look at Archimonde, KJ, Wrathguards, Doomguards, Felguards, Mo'arg, etc.
Careful; while this is true, some naysayers may throw out a dumb argument like "That's just male power fantasy" or whatever.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

As I said, if Incubi weren't added in Legion, then they never will be. And at least there is lore explaining why we've never seen them.

Aye, it could be male power fantasy, but they are still sexualized.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

pop wrote:I always believe that Pandaren Mages and Shaman should have gotten Pandarian elementals instead of the standard ones.
Yes, absolutely. That's even how I imagine it in my pandaren shaman's backstory.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I think there’s a big difference in the degree of sexualization between “showing some skin” and creating a personality that is all about sex. For a succubus it can hardly not be, though a poor choice to be the one of the only female demons. But then they create shivarra and decide that they’ll base their personas on aggressively sexual prostitutes. Interesting choices for the first two prominent female demons and I think telling for where the creators minds were (or were not) at the time. I think they can and should do better now.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Except that Shivarra are inspired both in personality and appearance of Durga and Kali of the Hindu religion, thus not on aggressively sexual prostitutes.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

The image is, not the personality.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Even in the personality. I have seen the Shivarra discussed on forums (SoL, Story Forums, Etc.), and Kali and Durga are always brought up as their inspiration. Even wowpedia lists them as the inspiration behind the Shivarra.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Nah. The innuendo is overt for anyone willing to see it. Especially in the Black Temple.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Yes, of course there is the innuendo, but their general personality is inspired by Durga and Kali, forms of Shiva's consort, Devi.

Of course Blizz has "expanded" upon that and made them more sexual, but that isn't all Shivarra are.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Exactly. My argument is what Blizzard (at least Blizzard of a decade + ago) have made them to be. Their choices when depicting purely female demons as sexually promiscuous, either for gratification or saying that women being sexual is the most degrading thing they can think of for them to be.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I would think (hope) Blizz wouldn't make them that way for the purpose of degrading women. I think part of it is that there isn't a ton of inspiration for female demons that isn't already like that. Succubi in RL mythology are like that, as are most in many other forms of mythology. If you go to other mediums, whether it is books, movies, or other games, it is the same way.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

WerebearGuy wrote:Careful; while this is true, some naysayers may throw out a dumb argument like "That's just male power fantasy" or whatever.
Archimonde

Doomguard

Felguard

Succubus

♩ One of these things is not like the others ♫