November 16th Q&A

Everything Hunter-related, except pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Shelassa
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU Magtheridon

November 16th Q&A

Unread post by Shelassa »

During today's Q&A Ion said that the current thinking is that artifact skins will be locked to the spec that uses them. There goes my dream of my BM Huntress with Loque'Nahak and Thas'dorah with dat quiver at the same time :cry:

• The Prestige system is internally discussed, they don't want new players or those who come back to have to wade through 55 Prestige levels to get what they want.

• In the past, the artists have been making the class sets and offpieces are simply recolours of the tier pieces and have no connection to the raid. Going forward, they want to have one specific set per armor type per zone, with more zones but the set will also reflect the origins of the zone thematically.
Therefore, in BfA the team would take Trial of Valor approach with one set per armor type instead of 12 class-specific sets + lookalikes.

• While there won't be as big changes as there were in Legion classes-wise, the classes would still get looked at. With the degree of changes in Legion, not all specs turned out very successful, which includes Demo Lock and Surv Hunters. The team is still commited to the melee hunter, but Survival will be changed around.

• Hati is very closely tied to Titanstrike, unlikely to be carried forward forever. It is odd to require a new player to go back to Legion content to get Hati. There is something cool about having multiple pets as a BM Hunter, so that is something they could expand on. (from MMO-Champion)
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: November 16th Q&A

Unread post by Vephriel »

I'm actually pretty devastated about the spec-restriction for artifact transmogs. Right now I'm desperately hoping this is still in a consideration period and not locked down because...well, there goes my motivation for this entire expansion. I put my heart into getting the blue phoenix bow for my character so that after Legion ended, he'd be able to use it as his permanent weapon appearance even as BM.

I've put so much work into unlocking specific appearances with the assumption that I would be able to freely use them on my characters by the end of it. I understand class-restriction for these, but I think spec is unnecessarily limiting.

All of the MM bow appearances I earned should be available to me as a hunter whether I'm playing MM or BM. It's just an appearance, it doesn't hurt anyone's gameplay. I don't see a good reason to enforce that level of spec identity once the expansion is over and most people will have moved onto new weapons anyways.

Please reconsider this Blizzard, I'm brokenhearted this morning after learning about this news.
Shelassa
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

This Q&A was altogether quite saddening to me. The Artifact restrictions, the armor-type transmog instead of the class-based, the way class changes were addressed... I dunno, leaves a bad taste.
Hopefully, a lot of this is still in the discussion and will change according to the feedback.
Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard, Hati's Realm

Unread post by Iowawolf »

Still doesn't say when artifacts are going away this alone will determine if I buy BFA or not due to not wanting to lose Hati and Titanstrike I hope they stay throughout Legion and we lose them at beginning of BFA that or somehow we get Hati as a talent.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

I really hope weapons aren't restricted by spec. Some of the weapons make better sense for other specs even. The hidden appearance for frost mages is a "frostfire" staff. The pvp skin for balance druids is a big feral looking scythe. The resto druid mage tower skin looks like it is as much a balance staff.
And of course guns and bows. There's no reason for them to be tied to spec.

Ion has a history of making pronouncements of their plans that turn out not to reflect the internal discussion (and oblivious to feedback from their customers). I'm hoping this is one of those cases.

Also, I hope the feral and guardian artifact forms are available for off-spec. I don't play moonkin, but if I did, I would want my cat-form to be the owl-cat.
ejpaints
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Aerie Peak

Unread post by ejpaints »

I’m surprised they actually answered my question about Hati. But, I’m disappointed in the answer I got. I was hoping he would tell us we would get to retain those pet skins somehow, even if it’s a lookalike tame.

And then the artifact skins being restricted to spec... just frustrating to no end.

I was already underwhelmed with this expansion & nothing in the Q&A helped that feeling. :(
Enikka & Gara.
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

It's sounding like they are acknowledging the poor performance of Hati, and are saying in a round about way they don't think it's worth while to figure out a way to make it work.

Which is such a same. I liked having two pets. I loved being able to transmog Hati. I just didn't like how Hati's AI system worked.

Maybe we'll get lucky and be able to transmog all our pets / or get a system that allows us to interchange their abilities. Other wise everyone's going to be stuck with the same pets yet again.

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

If I'm going to have 2 pets I'd rather they be *my* pets, with their own names, and without the lightning effect. The only reason it hasn't driven me crazy this expansion is because my main uses a raven as his Hati, and it's very small and unobtrusive. On other characters I find the lightning pet too large and distracting, and it bothers me that it's not the real pet.
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

I'm really freaking pissed about artifacts being spec specific. I worked for those artifact appearances too, like the challenge modes. I can use a bow. Why can't I tmog one of the appearances as bm. Bm artifact appearances suck and I was so excited to FINALLY use MM after an entire expac of waiting...

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

I can't say I'm very happy that artifact appearances are going to locked in with a specific spec, either. I love the MM appearances, especially because they have a quiver, and I was also looking forward to Krys utilising the MM look but remaining BM. It seems a bit silly to me - we shouldn't need to change spec for the sake of a certain transmog we like.

I really hope they change this restriction. I know it's not ground-breaking, but I like my aesthetics, and so do many other players. Also, the fact that only Thas'Dorah has a quiver is silly to me. All bows should have quivers - but that's getting slightly off topic.

Also, adding to the two pet discussion; I like having two pets. I don't like the lightning effect Hati is always bringing to the table, but I like having two pets. If we were given two pets moving forward, I would want them to both be our own and not something we were guilt-tripped into adopting. I'd also like the ability to manipulate and move each pet individually if I need to - but that's not as high a priority. Just non-spec restricted appearances and the ability to have two pets will do me fine.
Shelassa
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

It's hard to describe, but I also have a nagging concern for BM's identity and the talent trees composition. Currently, via talents, it is possible to choose one of the following ways: two pets & summoning more or two pets and not summoning. In the BfA demo, it looked like the baseline choice for BM Hunters would be one pet with Dire Frenzy with the possibility of summoning multiple creatures through Dire Beast talent. And I am sure that one way or another Blizzard will incorporate the 2 pets thing through another talent considering the general feedback. So for all sub-groups (1 pet, no summons / 1 pet with summons / 2 pets without summons / zoo) there will be two talent rows either pretty much locked out if you want to switch into a particular identity and playstyle like the zookeeper or only offering two choices if you don't want the 2nd pet and the summons.

In a way, similar to how currently MMs who do not want a pet are locked into Lone Wolf while those who want their trusty sidekick around only have two objectively worse talents to chose from.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Vephriel wrote:If I'm going to have 2 pets I'd rather they be *my* pets, with their own names, and without the lightning effect. The only reason it hasn't driven me crazy this expansion is because my main uses a raven as his Hati, and it's very small and unobtrusive. On other characters I find the lightning pet too large and distracting, and it bothers me that it's not the real pet.
I use a raven too, mostly for the same reason. It's actually raven sized, and hardly ever in the way. And the lightning on the raven doesn't look that bad (at least for mine). I wanted it to keep the name IbnRushd.
I also liked the lightning on the blue-eyed mecha-spider, but it didn't really fit Xota's look.
During the Holiday season, I use stags sometimes, and I think I only found one skin the lightning didn't look too horrible on. I wanted to name it Blixem (my main pet for Christimas is Dunder), since it's forced to have lightning.
soukyugurentai
Realm: US-BlizzardPrison

Unread post by soukyugurentai »

They really need to stop imposing bullcrap, arbitrary restrictions on everything. Geezus is this a game company or a lawfirm?

OH THAT'S RIGHT. HI ION.