Just back after having to quit for 3 years ... needing input

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Spiritwolves
Realm: Ghostlands

Just back after having to quit for 3 years ... needing input

Unread post by Spiritwolves »

Ok, so I've been gone for about three years taking care of a husband dying from cancer. I've gotten myself fairly well geared up over the last two weeks that I've been back. My question is two fold and I'm sure it's been asked before and if so, please point me to the right link or thread.
1) What are the best pets for Legion Raids and why? I'm hoping to start raiding with the guild again soon and I'd like to have a proper assortment to chose from. When I last played we were somewhere and they wanted a spore bat. None of the hunters had one so I went and tamed one once we were done.
2) What are the best for just running and questing alone? Because I don't do melee well, I generally prefer a tank pet.
Thanks in advance.
SpiritWolves, huntress of Ghostlands
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Re: Just back after having to quit for 3 years ... needing i

Unread post by Krysteena »

Now, you'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge here since I don't actually raid, but I've read about and I know more generalised things which may be of use :)

1) Generally, pets with battle rez or bloodlust are the best bet for raiding. Cranes, Moths, and Quilen (for BM) all have battle rez. Nether Rays and Corehounds (BM) have access to bloodlust. It may be a good idea to run with one of each in your stable, so that, depending on what the group needs, it's readily available.

2) Running and questing alone is, I feel, whatever you want. Any pet can be switched to the tanking pet so, in theory, you could have a tanking wolf if you really wanted to, or a ferocity bear. Just depends. Turtles and Shale Spiders (BM) have good abilities to reduce damage if they get too low, so, if you want that extra safety, it may be a good idea to tame one of those. In general, though, any tanking pet performs well enough. None really strike out to me as being bad pets. As long as I keep up misdirect, I find that my pet, even in ferocity, doesn't struggle too much with aggro.

Other pets that may be of note: Water Striders give water walking, if you're BM and don't have a water-walking mount, while Rylaks and Feathermanes (again, BM) have a slowfall that may also be of use. A Corehound, or Nether Ray if you're not BM, switched to tanking can give you the protection of a tank whilst also having blood lust, in case you find you're in a tight spot. Just pop that and then go ham. Problem solved.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Seconding what Krysteena said. I'll also add that if you want to learn the more indepth mechanics of your class/spec, then the website Icy Veins is a go-to place. Further, if you ever want to raid, this place is practically a necessity :)
Spiritwolves
Realm: Ghostlands

Unread post by Spiritwolves »

Thanks you two. That gives me a starting place or two at least!
Happy Hunting,
SpiritWolves, Huntress of Ghostlands
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Happy to help :)
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn