Battle for Azeroth Old World Creature model updates

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Battle for Azeroth Old World Creature model updates

Unread post by Qraljar »

An archive and discussion thread for the new models that will be replacing a lot of old world creatures in 8.0 or potentially before.

More will be added as I finish them. In the meantime, feel free to use this thread to discuss the ones there currently are. Compare and contrast, criticize, comment on what you like about them, what you dislike, what could be done better.

Mine Spiders:
https://imgur.com/a/7ANzW

Tarantulas:
https://imgur.com/a/qDPWT

Barbed Spiders:
https://imgur.com/a/UaxMA

Bone Spiders:
https://imgur.com/a/t6C1h

Crabs:
https://imgur.com/a/tmfWN
Note: Karkin in the model viewer currently uses the updated Silver skin, but WoWhead had the updated Karkin skin on their models page, so I took that. I'm presuming it's a bug that will be fixed before it affects players.

Hyenas:
https://imgur.com/a/ULtqg
Note: Maybe my eyes aren't good enough at discerning it, but when I checked, I could not find any tonal differences between the NPCs using the new version of the Orange and the "Orange (Very Subtly Darker)" version of the model. I'm presuming there isn't any, and they're now just using the same Orange texturemap.

Vultures:
https://imgur.com/a/Hw9rK

Thunder Lizards:
https://imgur.com/a/5FOoN

Wind Serpents:
https://imgur.com/a/BHTWG
Last edited by Qraljar on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: Battle for Azeroth Old World Creature model updates

Unread post by Valnaaros »

I really like all of the new spider models, especially the tarantula.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Bone Spiders added. On to crabs.
Valnaaros wrote:I really like all of the new spider models, especially the tarantula.
Agreed. They look really fluffy, and for a WoW model, surprisingly anatomically correct. Definitely a spider fan's dream, this expansion, I think.

WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Mine Spiders: Those look much better now. Like, a lot.
Tarantulas: Said it in the other thread, but I dislike how the grey one isn't blind anymore. Lava one is amazing.
Barbed Spiders: Absolutely terrifying.
Bone Spiders: Was never a fan of these. Still not a fan. Nice upgrade though.
Crabs: Default red has always been my favorite, but WOW I want that updated one. If it had a lobster tail, I'd be even happier.
Hyenas: Purple looks absolutely stupid. I want it.
Vultures: Not too keen on them. Glad they're looking ugly, but I also don't like how they look. Double edged sword there.
Thunder Lizards: I don't normally care for the black colored pets since they always look bad, but I want the new black thunder lizard.
Wind Serpents: GIMME DAT BLUE
Last edited by WerebearGuy on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Added crabs.

With a little note.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I really like the new crab models. I think they're pretty faithful to the originals.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Added hyenas.

With another note. This time more so aimed at Wain, but relevant to all players.

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Mine Spiders:
I'm ecstatic that spiders are getting so much love! Overall I feel like this is a really faithful revamp. It keeps the look and feel of the originals. The colours are well done, and I'm especially pleased that they got rid of the 3 segment ant anatomy that the original spider models always had. Bothered me so much. :lol: The crystal one is the only model that doesn't quite match for me, it looks good, but it's also a different style from the original and doesn't seem to be as colourful. I would have liked to see the keep the teal/blue/lilac gradients rather than just one blue colour throughout.

Tarantulas:
A++ 100% yes!!!! I'm super happy about these and have no complaints honestly. WerebearGuy I do see what you mean about the eye colour on the grey though! It's always the small details that stand out for the people who are most attached to specific creatures.

Barbed Spiders:
Now these I am torn on. As their own separate new spider model? Amazing!!! I love them!!! But I'm a little less thrilled that they seem to be replacing the old type. To me these are not a faithful revamp. They've been designed differently, have added details, and very different colour palettes and saturation. I like the simplicity of the originals and how they looked like gothic lanterns. These new ones are almost...overdesigned. Again, I'm perfectly happy with them as their own spider type, but I'd like to keep both models. :(

Bone Spiders:
Another iffy one for me. The models are well done, but once again I feel like there wasn't enough attention to colours. This one, for example, has always been my personal favourite. The reason? The purple details! I love how the purple eyes were complemented by the purple webbing on the legs. The new one has green webbing now and a slightly different body hue. I'm not too happy about that. :(
ImageImage
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

This right here exemplifies one of the biggest challenges with updated models, at least to me: color. The actual updated skins are marvelous, and colors for most are great... until I got to...

To me, this isn't even close. We saw something very similar to the color of the black bears. Also, as Veph pointed out in the other thread, the dark blue wind serpent change bothers me too. I find it personally off putting to do this to them.

Its unreasonable to expect old models of ALL old world creatures to appear as a rare, so I have zero expectation they will have any reason to keep the old widow. I just dont think the above is the answer either. That spider would be perfect if they could just get the black right. Why change what isn't broken. Its not close.

At least to me.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Guh, again with Blizzard's new artwork being allergic to black. T_T It's been a problem since Wrath-era and beyond I feel...and it's such a shame. :( I guess it's supposed to be more 'realistic' but there are some models that would look so much better with that high contrast.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Added vultures.

I'm thinking this model is an exceptional victim of the fact that that these are datamined textures. Will probably look far more hi-res once they're ingame.

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

The black on the new black bee would be much better than this blue widow to me. Its still not what I think it should be, but tons better. *shrug*

Edit1:
Qraljar wrote:Added vultures.

I'm thinking this model is an exceptional victim of the fact that that these are datamined textures. Will probably look far more hi-res once they're ingame.
Thanks for all the effort and work youre putting into this!! :headbang:

Edit2:

If THIS is supposed to be Zaricotl, I'm gonna lose my sh*t :lol: Just keep telling myself its early its early its early
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Added Thunder Lizards.

I would be a BIG liar if I said I didn't absolutely love this new model. But it's obvious that the colors are not quite correct.

Like.. at all.

Quiv wrote:The black on the new black bee would be much better than this blue widow to me. Its still not what I think it should be, but tons better. *shrug*

Edit1:
Qraljar wrote:Added vultures.

Thanks for all the effort and work youre putting into this!! :headbang:

Edit2:

If THIS is supposed to be Zaricotl, I'm gonna lose my sh*t :lol: Just keep telling myself its early its early its early
You're welcome! :) I'm sure in not too long, Wain will make a far better compilation and put it on the main Petopia site, but for now, these might be handy. :)

Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Added Wind Serpents.

Another absolutely stunning model, but some of the colors aren't even close to their originals. Looking at you, "white".

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I love all of the model updates thus far, but there are some where the colors are ranging from being slightly different to very different. But I will echo again what I've been saying: it is still very early on and our feedback and get these things changed (hopefully) :)
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Qraljar wrote:Added Wind Serpents.

Another absolutely stunning model, but some of the colors aren't even close to their originals. Looking at you, "white".
It has been years since I've had a Wind Serpent; mostly due to the aging of the model. But this new ones are beautiful! Hopefully the white variant just isn't in yet.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Yeah, I'm definitely not going to presume they're anywhere near finished.

Model-wise, I do love what I see. And even the textures are great. Just that the color palettes need a bit of adjusting.

Taking a small break now, so if anyone wants to take over, feel free. :)

WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

For the wind serpents, I quite like the new white one. Though, an actual WHITE skin on this model would look spectacular. The dark blue one is my favorite though since it's somewhat similar to Onyxia's colors, which I love. Wonder if they'll fix the outland models too, since those are dated just as badly.
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I'm wishing for better blacks too, but I might be willing to make the trade. The beige instead of white though...ugh. I hope that changes. It's kinda awful. The tarantulas look amazing and I am super excited to have one. They seem overall pretty true to the original, as do those incredible crabs! Thrilled to see the thunder lizards, though they're a bit bland compared to the old colors. But they needed an update so bad it was painful. And wow, those hyena colors. That is the most violently purple animal I have ever seen. I do wish the red had more gold to it.
Razzy
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Razzy »

Want too keen on the Hyenas from that angle, but after viewing the models on MMO Champion I feel they're pretty solid. I feel the thunder lizards are missing something. Like the original essence of the creature wasn't recaptured with the update. Maybe the colors are just too dull? They look a lot less fun than they used to, if that makes sense.

Not sure if I'm a fan of the stony texture everything seems to be acquiring, but that's the direction the art is going. I think it really disservices the vultures. But as a whole I'm happy with the updates!