I beat the Fenryr challenge as MM

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.
Lorfean

I beat the Fenryr challenge as MM

Unread post by Lorfean »

As the title says ;) Yesterday evening I beat and tamed Fenryr as MM.

I'm a stubborn old MM / SV Hunter who never liked BM -- never even touched it on my main Hunter -- and decided that I had to do the Fenryr challenge as MM. Being a father of two also means I am a lot more casual than I used to be, so I ended up having to tackle the challenge after 7.3 went live and Mythic dungeons had their difficulty increased to compensate for the current content and gear. While researching the challenge, I got the impression that Hunters were struggling to beat it on anything other than BM and, although I don't know that it'd be possible to do it as SV due to the kiting involved, I can confirm it's definitely doable as MM and I thought I'd share how I did it.

My character has an ilvl of 933, I used the Prydaz and Sephuz's Secret legendaries for some extra survivability and haste / run speed, and I used the following consumables:
  • Defiled Augment Rune
    Flask of the Seventh Demon
    Nightborne Delicacy Platter
    Drums of the Mountain (on both pulls)
    Potion of Prolonged Power (on both pulls)
And the following talents:
  • Careful Aim (on the 1st pull) / Lone Wolf (on the 2nd pull)
    Lock and Load
    Posthaste
    Patient Sniper
    Camouflage
    A Murder of Crows
    Trick Shot
After clearing out most of the hostile trash mobs around the lake I used my turtle pet on the first pull, where you have to get him to 60%. I used Misdirection on the pull and kept myself at a distance, saving my Disengages to avoid Ravenous Leap. I kept Mend Pet up and used Exhilaration once, to top us off. I used Feign Death when I got aggro and then used Misdirection again. I had to kite him for a bit when he got to around ~75% health and my pet simply couldn't hold aggro anymore.

For the second pull, after he fled to his cave, I dismissed my pet and switched to Lone Wolf. This is where I think SV simply wouldn't work, because (I believe) you have to kite him to be successful. That's what I did -- I kited him around the lake, again saving my Disengages for Ravenous Leap, and using his casts of Unnerving Howl and Scent of Blood to gain distance, or pop off some well-timed Aimed Shots. In my experience the second pull was the easier one, probably due to Scent of Blood, which helps with the kiting. I ignored the adds he summoned -- they followed me but never really got close to me, and therefore weren't a threat.

Last edited by Lorfean on Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lorfean

Re: I beat the Fenryr challenge as MM

Unread post by Lorfean »

65 views and not a single reply... You guys are all BM, aren't you? :?
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

I dont play WoW anymore but I lurk and watch almost all post :D

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

Lorfean wrote:65 views and not a single reply... You guys are all BM, aren't you? :?
Well this is PETopia. ;)
Lorfean

Unread post by Lorfean »

peanutbuttercup wrote:
Lorfean wrote:65 views and not a single reply... You guys are all BM, aren't you? :?
Well this is PETopia. ;)
True, true. Guess I kinda set myself up for that one ;) But don't underestimate the bond us non-BM Hunters have with our pets! And, well, it was good fun, figuring out how to do this as MM -- a challenge on top of a challenge, if you will 8-)
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

Lorfean wrote:But don't underestimate the bond us non-BM Hunters have with our pets! And, well, it was good fun, figuring out how to do this as MM -- a challenge on top of a challenge, if you will 8-)
Always nice to see a MM hunter that still enjoys pets - most of the ones I talk to are so in love with Lone Wolf. I always admire any hunter that can kite well and know how to get the most out of their toolkit... goes to show there's more than one way to approach things. Grats on your tame!
NazzyDragon
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Emerald Dream (US)

Unread post by NazzyDragon »

Lorfean wrote:This is where I think SV simply wouldn't work, because (I believe)
Praise talonclaw my dudes

(Click image for Hunter!)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.