Battle for Azeroth Old World Creature model updates

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Re: Battle for Azeroth Old World Creature model updates

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Tårnfalk wrote:
Slapperfish wrote:
Vephriel wrote:Does anyone have images/gifs of the original hyena posture? It's been so long I can hardly picture it anymore. I've never really minded the hunch back myself - I understand it's not very realistic, but there's something cartoonishly stylized in it that I've never minded.

Grabbed these off the old version of Petopia. Thank goodness for internet archiving!

If we need more I can always just hop onto Elysium and take a few screenies there. Assuming it hasn't fallen prey to Blizzard's legal team, of course.
Yes! This posture is so much better. ..why couldt they just keep the posture and update the skin....
My suspicion is one word .......... time. They didn't want to /have /feel the need etc to spend the time correcting the skeleton. It was easier & less resource intense to just slap the skin onto the wolf skeleton back then. Now TO ME it's even more so since content needs to be pushed out at a significantly faster rate then before. Less resources spent. Less time used.

I am hoping MAYBE if they brighten the colours truer to the old models my opinion of the hyenas will change. My tauren girl has had Snort since 2004! Damn I miss that old vanilla posture. :(

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Bluefire
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Duskwood

Unread post by Bluefire »

Wain wrote:
Bluefire wrote:Loving all the updates to the old pets but I have to say I am super disappointed in the new White windserpent. They went from a stunning pure white with gorgeous purple and blue highlights to a dull brown with cream, beige, and muddy blue highlights, I really feel they took that one in the wrong direction color wise.
I don't believe a white wind serpent skin has been produced yet. I'm pretty sure I know the one you're referring to, but fortunately it's not named 'white'. It's actually named 'sidewinder' and seems to be a new colour. There are actually four new colours that are named after real world snakes: viper (green), sidewinder (pinkish beige), moccasin (very dark brown), and one I haven't worked out the name for yet, but is dark brown with diamond patterns that look very much like a rattlesnake (I've tried so many combinations of rattlesnake names but to no avail).

It's odd that they produced all those but no white. I'd be angry if they try to sub that beige one in for white but hopefully they won't. Then again, none of them have retained the shine of the originals. :(
I dearly hope so! The White and all Red windserpents have always been my favorites and I'd hate to see the White one not have justice done by it.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

By the way, unlike the old windserpent skins, the new ones have body and wings in a single file. This makes me suspect the red one with orange wings will be gone, since it was a combo of different-coloured wing and body skin files.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Blizz has really done a great job with the new Faceless Ones models.
Attachments
FacelessOne201.jpg
FacelessOne201.jpg (381.94 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
FacelessOne204.jpg
FacelessOne204.jpg (370.75 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
FacelessOne205.jpg
FacelessOne205.jpg (391.64 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
FacelessOne206.jpg
FacelessOne206.jpg (359.11 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
Kithix01.jpg
Kithix01.jpg (332.08 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
Kithix02.jpg
Kithix02.jpg (294.59 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
Kithix03.jpg
Kithix03.jpg (332.43 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Not sure if anyone posted this or not https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5UiHxGi2x4 the gorilla looks nice. :mrgreen:

SlickrockGhost
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Everywhere

Unread post by SlickrockGhost »

I know there's a lot of angst over hyena colors... but those old models were soo bad. I'll gladly tame one in BfA, while I currently don't have one in my stable. Same for the gorillas.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Now that Wain's updated the site with BfA models it's easier to make direct comparisons, and I find I'm really missing some of the colour choices of Vanilla models...

The new crystal spider doesn't look like ice anymore, but rather dull, cloudy glass. :( What happened to those bright blue facets and cyan legs? It was so crystalline and beautiful, the new one doesn't have the same appeal to me.
ImageImage

I don't think there's anything that can really be done at this point, I just find myself disagreeing with a lot of the artistic decisions in model updates, particularly when it comes to colour hues, saturation, and contrast. Many of them feel rather washed out and dull.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Vephriel wrote:Now that Wain's updated the site with BfA models it's easier to make direct comparisons, and I find I'm really missing some of the colour choices of Vanilla models...

The new crystal spider doesn't look like ice anymore, but rather dull, cloudy glass. :( What happened to those bright blue facets and cyan legs? It was so crystalline and beautiful, the new one doesn't have the same appeal to me.
ImageImage

I don't think there's anything that can really be done at this point, I just find myself disagreeing with a lot of the artistic decisions in model updates, particularly when it comes to colour hues, saturation, and contrast. Many of them feel rather washed out and dull.
Cpt. Rushjob in the building.

How's this, color-wise? I can't really help, texture-wise.

Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

See, that already looks better to me. And it's frustrating to know that they probably aren't going to go in and alter anything now. I suppose that's pessimistic of me but, I'm not holding out a lot of hope for tweaks. :(
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Vephriel wrote:See, that already looks better to me. And it's frustrating to know that they probably aren't going to go in and alter anything now. I suppose that's pessimistic of me but, I'm not holding out a lot of hope for tweaks. :(
Yeah, let's just hold out hope, I suppose.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

That alteration does look better. But I second Veph in that I doubt Blizz is going to go through every new pet model and tweak them; let alone add a rare for every old skin variant. :\
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Loving these new models for the Harvest Golems. Blizz is really trying to get all models up-to-date :)

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Rawr wrote:Not sure if anyone posted this or not https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5UiHxGi2x4 the gorilla looks nice. :mrgreen:
ooo, those raptors are gorgeous!
and that new species of slender upright dino, like anorexo-raptors - I MUST have one.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Rozzana
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Shattered Hand, Elune

Unread post by Rozzana »

I actually like most of the changes for the spider. The colors are admittedly drab, but it does come more off as crystal than before. Even the eyes are little gems! I never even noticed the old model lacked eyes :lol:

I wonder if some mobs have been purposefully made plainer, to save detailed renditions for rare/unique versions.
Last edited by Rozzana on Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I agree. Whilst I would like if the coloring was closer to the original, I prefer the new model overall. The old one is really showing its age.
Rozzana
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Shattered Hand, Elune

Unread post by Rozzana »

Something I did notice while looking through all the new and updated models is that there seems to be a split in art direction. Some creatures come off more realistic and beautiful because of it, while others are very cartoony/bulky looking.
This can be noticed with even battle-pets. Ex: The new prairie dog looks wonderful. Our updated rabbit is kinda frightening :lol:

I can assume some of this occurred to preserve the old aesthetic, but some of them are coming out goofy due to the huge contrast in styles. I hope they're able to become more cohesive, but I can't help but notice that sometimes it's very obvious which team worked on which set of models :lol: It's not a real problem, just something I noticed and probably isn't intended to be the case

Although can I gush about how wonderful the new crab models/colors are? They're so vibrant and lively while not coming off as garish. I absolutely adore this and thank the artists responsible to the high heavens :D
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Here is an interesting video from Bellular concerning the model updates and how things have changed since Vanilla: https://youtu.be/4mSI6upU_V0
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

For whatever reason, King Mukla shows in Wowhead as changed. Today he uses old dark gray gorilla model, but wowhead bfa shows new black model instead of the expected steel grey. *shrug*

http://bfa.wowhead.com/npc=1559/king-mu ... iewer:10+0
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Quiv wrote:For whatever reason, King Mukla shows in Wowhead as changed. Today he uses old dark gray gorilla model, but wowhead bfa shows new black model instead of the expected steel grey. *shrug*

http://bfa.wowhead.com/npc=1559/king-mu ... iewer:10+0
Alpha is Alpha. We'll see if it is corrected as the builds come and go. If not, then we can always make a post consisting of all pets that haven't been updated to the correct models :)
Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard, Hati's Realm

Unread post by Iowawolf »

Is it just me or from looking through the pets they all seem to be drawn by children I mean come on old world hyenas look mean and ready to snap your head off while new ones want to cuddle with you and those spiders haha old world again look like they want to poison you and are drawn very well with these new ones drawn for children.

I am no artist and don't claim to be one but can't help and look at those new models and gag none are going into my stable I just hope they keep some old world around for those who want a pet that is not for kids.