Battle for Azeroth Story Thread (Spoilers within)

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Re: Battle for Azeroth Story Thread (Spoilers within)

Unread post by Rawr »

Vephriel wrote: *shakes head*

This whole thing is worse than bad fanfiction.

Next we hear Sylvanas and Greymane had a love child and will be the new ally king. :roll:

This all sounds very, very stupid. Lets replace someone who has fought for the Horde in countless battles and was appointed by another Horde leader with someone who has been dead for a very long time, not undead just dead, was rezed by over zealous light elementals (who btw are force converting ppl) and has no leadership skills or ties to the Horde. I could care less if she was the "rightful heir" that point is debatable, if kingdom A takes over kingdom B, kingdom B's heir doesn't replace kingdom A's leader when they come of age or get resurrected. It doesn't work that way.

Image :| :mrgreen:

Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I just saw Darnassus. I wasn't ready for that. I'm not crying. Someone is cutting onions. That must be it.

Um.

Honestly, this view took me from "sad about Teldrassil" to "since when is WoW a bad summer blockbuster disaster movie with a bloated special effects budget?"

Isn't this a bit much, Blizz? What did the Night Elves ever do to you?

Attachments
WoWScrnShot_051618_221217.jpg
WoWScrnShot_051618_221217.jpg (171.88 KiB) Viewed 3631 times
WoWScrnShot_051618_222022.jpg
WoWScrnShot_051618_222022.jpg (134.83 KiB) Viewed 3631 times
Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

Rawr wrote:
Vephriel wrote: *shakes head*

This whole thing is worse than bad fanfiction.

Next we hear Sylvanas and Greymane had a love child and will be the new ally king. :roll:

This all sounds very, very stupid. Lets replace someone who has fought for the Horde in countless battles and was appointed by another Horde leader with someone who has been dead for a very long time, not undead just dead, was rezed by over zealous light elementals (who btw are force converting ppl) and has no leadership skills or ties to the Horde. I could care less if she was the "rightful heir" that point is debatable, if kingdom A takes over kingdom B, kingdom B's heir doesn't replace kingdom A's leader when they come of age or get resurrected. It doesn't work that way.

Image :| :mrgreen:
Calia has not been dead for "a long time" Sylvanas kills her. If you read the Desolate Council wasn't happy with how she was doing things so they backed Calia. Sylvanas kills them both, there was going to be peace between the Forsaken and the humans since some are sick of Sylvanas. There is also no implication that once Sylvanas is dead/gone that Calia would be the new "Warchief" as tbh I think they'd give that back to an orc, since Blizzard wants to bring back the new horde it seems. Also, Calia IS Kingdom A, she is a Lordaeron citizen as are most Forsaken, aside from Sylvanas who is a dead high elf/never lived in Lordaeron/never had any claim to that throne other than the Forsaken appointing her/following her. The point is that the Forsaken were Lordaeron at their core. Sylvanas never was, and if she dies someone will need to replace her. WoW has been written like a "bad soap opera" for a while now. This isn't anything new, not everyones going to like it obviously, but some will. Blizzard has an idea for the way they're writting/taking their game. And tbh with them making Sylvanas a tyrant, I dont think she will stay in the picture in the future for them, and if she does she'll be coasting VERY cautiously with the other horde races that this novel is showing her manipulate for her own gain.

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Honestly they where going to stage a coup and the only way to stop a coup is to stop the coup from happening and that is useally done by jailing or killing the conspiriters responsible. The big issue with jailing them is that they can escape!

If they have to replace Slyvannas I'd rather her replacement be a Forsaken character and not a "light undead". One of their own.

Atleast they should of done all this stuff in game and not in a book hardly anyone will read (Most people playing don't read the books) I think it's bad writing to have lore content that affects the main story line in a book.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Like Silivren said, most Forsaken are from Lordaeron. Calia is a princess of Lordaeron. A lot of the dialogue in the novel shows that the Forsaken still view her as their princess.

Also, it isn't just Calia and the Desolate Council that are killed. There are also normal Forsaken citizens that are killed. Sylvanas ordered for all Forsaken at the meeting to return to her, or else be killed by the Dark Rangers. If a Forsaken was confused as to what was going on, they were killed. If they tried to flee, they were killed. If they fled to the Alliance in fear, they were killed. If there was a delay in them returning to Sylvanas, they were killed. In the end, all of the Forsaken at the meeting were killed.

For example, the Felstone sons are three Forsaken men that are the sons of Emma Felstone in Stormwind. When Forsaken started to be killed, they tried to flee with their mother, thinking that she was in danger. In the end, all three of the sons were killed.

Nathanos evem is starting to question Sylvanas and thinks she is going too far. He asks her why she even killed the ones that returned, and she told him that all of her followers must be unquestionably loyal to her.
Syleye
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Shadowsong

Unread post by Syleye »

I have been following the MMO-Champ forums ( due to far less alliance rhetoric and more balance) It looks like the Naaru are seriously trying to start issues. Of course we've had hints of their bad behavior in Legion. Overall looking forward to seeing how this plays out and wondering how many disappointed people there will be at the end.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I've been reading that, too. I'm not fond of the Naaru and the Light being painted in a bad... light, but it won't be so bad so long as it isn't all Naaru and that it is made clear that the Light can be used by misguided people to accomplish bad things, rather than just the Light itself being corruptive.
Chaix
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: malfurion

Unread post by Chaix »

eh, I don't mind them going anti-light for a bit. if they want to make a world of grey then that means that the light can't be the ultimate force for good. if they want to have heroic characters aligned with the void, then it's necessary to balance that with light based enemies on a larger scale than just one group of crazy paladins.

what they're doing isn't too different from what I've seen in SMT and other games. the dark corrupts and makes people give in to their desires, the light washes away your individuality and turns people into robots or zealots.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I'm not against the idea of both extremes ultimately being bad and there needing to be a balance. The issue that I do take is that the Light has always been shown to be a source of righteousness with no downsides. It could be used for evil purposes, like with the Scarlet Crusade, but the Light itself wasn't bad. To change that into what we're seeing in BfA would be considered a retcon.
Chaix
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: malfurion

Unread post by Chaix »

they've started putting those downsides in though. xe'ra, the highest ranked light-aligned character in game, locked up Alleria for looking into the void and attempted to cleanse a very unwilling Illidan. looking back, there were rumors for years that A'dal's backup plan for the blood elves was having M'ru go void lord and bomb them into oblivion.

And I wouldn't call a power source that suddenly decides to drop support for an entire race without any apparent reason to have no downsides.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Xe're is a single zealot and not a representative of all Naaru. The rumors regarding A'dal's plan are just that, and there is no lore to support it.

The Light did not abandon the BEs. The BEs lost their faith and, eventually, some started using dark magics to sate their addiction.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Valnaaros wrote:I've been reading that, too. I'm not fond of the Naaru and the Light being painted in a bad... light, but it won't be so bad so long as it isn't all Naaru and that it is made clear that the Light can be used by misguided people to accomplish bad things, rather than just the Light itself being corruptive.
Well seeing as they now are making "light undead" and not just resurrecting people that's a bit of a worry. Undead don't normally have free will at least at the start they don't. Calia could just be a pawn and all that I've seen so far it sounds like she might be one. Sure from the outside she may come off as free but deep inside it's the light controlling her. That kind of thing.

This is all happening in a novel and not in the game mind you. The game does not always follow them.
Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

"She saw the Light moving through the cosmos like a ravenous predator. She saw it touch the minds of Azeroth's mortals—a touch that corrupted them forever. She saw generations live and die in invisible chains, bound to a force that granted them fleeting moments of peace in exchange for absolute obedience.

She saw war. She saw the forces of the Light striking back against the Void. She saw darkened worlds burning in holy fire. She saw millions of creatures encased in luminous crystals the size of mountains, sustained by the Light and unable to die. Warriors of the Light were monsters, corrupting and consuming everything they touched."
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

This was also a visiom granted by the Void, which Locus-Walker stated can't always be trusted and, even if it is showing a true vision, it is also a very biased perspective.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

In the Alliance war campaign, it is learned that Gallywix is stealing gold from Atal'dazar, which is a very sacred site to Trolls (Troll leaders are buried there).

Whilst the Horde is recovering the body of Derek Proudmoore, the Alliance arrives and kills Blood Prince Dreven. They also found him in the hull of the ship, eating and killing Forsaken soldiers.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

In the new war campaign for Alliance, we also learn that the Void Elves were -never- part of the Horde.

They were blood elves who disagreed with Silvermoon joining the Horde, and that's part of why they were exiled.

"My followers and I felt no loyalty to the Horde. When Grand Magister Rommath forbade our Void research, we did not hesitate to break away and follow our own path."

"We do not stand with the Alliance out of convenience. Nor is it a mere gesture of thanks to Alleria.

Our ordeal has taught us the importance of great powers being in the right hands. We could not allow the Horde to know the things we know, or to use us as a weapon in their schemes.

We fight for the Alliance because we believe in its values. And one day, I pray we will bring all of Silvermoon back into the fold."
SlickrockGhost
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Everywhere

Unread post by SlickrockGhost »

Myzou wrote:In the new war campaign for Alliance, we also learn that the Void Elves were -never- part of the Horde. ..
Well, finally a faction with some sense.. 8-)
Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

Oh sure, that's how Blizz is gonna handle the High Elf debacle XD

"The Horde is waiting for you"

Players: OH MY GOD HOW DARE YOU

"And so is the Alliance!"
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Teigan wrote:Oh sure, that's how Blizz is gonna handle the High Elf debacle XD

"The Horde is waiting for you"

Players: OH MY GOD HOW DARE YOU

"And so is the Alliance!"
Sounds like it :lol:
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Someone over in Rotterdam got the Before the Storm novel early. According to him, the Alliance never does anything questionable and Sylvanas is constantly made out to be the villain.

Baine is passive aggressive towards Sylvanas. He wants to rebuild Cenarion Hold and to send help.

He communicates secretly with Anduim via Valeera, but Sylvanas finds out and demands that he stops. He does so in order to protect the Tauren and the Horde from Sylvanas. He later gives Valeera a piece of his horn and a farewell letter. (Giving someone a piece of your horn is a huge sign of respect in Tauren culture).

Sylvanas tells Baine that she is sending Goblins to Silithus purely for investigating what is happening, when in reality she is sending them there to start mining.

There is a chapter just for Jaina and Kalecgos where they break up.

Sylvanas is going around murdering those that don't support her.

The Desolate Council isn't actually against Sylvanas. Their leader adores her. They mainly act as a democratic group that helps Forsaken civilians. Despite this, Sylvanas still views them as a threat.

Sylvanas is intent on sacking Stormwind and reanimating the Humans there. She views their humanity as a huge burden.

Genn tried to have Anduin and Tess married, but Anduin that Tess has a mind of her own. He wants to marry for love, not just to create the next heir.

Anduin brings Genn and Turaylon before Faol so that the latter can explain to them the purpose of the meeting.

Turalyon trembles with righteous fury and threatens to smite Faol for daring to use that face/voice/body etc. That he is a disgrace and shouldn't be. Faol tells Turalyon to let the Light flow through him and see that the Light is still there. If not, then he can smite him. Turalyon lets the Light flow through him and falls to his knees crying. He apologises to his former master.

Calia was told by her father that she must marry whomever he tells her to. She eventually falls in love with a footman and wishes to marry him. Her mother was angry/annoyed at first, but came around and held a private ceremony for them. They then moved to Southshore where Calia ignored her lineage.

Eventually she and her husband had a daughter. They lived in relative peace until the Forsaken came. Calia was seperated from her husband and daughter and hid in a ditch for two days until Faol found and rescued her.

Sylvanas cares about her people, but in a very cruel and twisted way.

Somehow, due to the Divine Bell crushing Anduin, he is now unable to do anything wrong without feeling immense pain. Even just thinking about a wrong choice causes pain.

When Anduin tells Genn that Sylvanas cannot and will not change and needs to be dealt with, he does not feel any pain.