Battle for Azeroth Story Thread (Spoilers within)

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Re: Battle for Azeroth Story Thread (Spoilers within)

Unread post by Rawr »

Can you elaborate on the last two lines? "unable to do anything wrong without feeling immense pain" wrong to whom? I mean is it from his point of view in which case he could be doing wrong to others and not know it so he doesn't feel it.

So Sylv is more or less seeing everyone as her enemy who doesn't agree with her, like Garrosh. Sylv is being super aggressive super fast (wants to "destroy all humans" not just saving her peoples now) like she's being pushed. Blizz is still saying there will be no Old Gods this expansion never mind all the tentacle artwork. How is this not Pandaland 2.0? And when Sylv is the big end boss lady do you think she will rez us mid fight Lich King style? :| :mrgreen:

Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

That...hm. I don't like how that sounds so far, really.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

"Somehow, due to the Divine Bell crushing Anduin, he is now unable to do anything wrong without feeling immense pain. Even just thinking about a wrong choice causes pain."

WTF is this bad fan fiction shit? Seriously? Typical Blizzard "Alliance always good, Horde always bad" boring bullshit. What constitutes "wrong"? Being pro Alliance would be considered being "wrong" in some peoples eyes. Hell him eating meat would be "wrong" too. wtf.

Next they will be making Baine a badguy. Cus it seems like they are going down the "make every Horde leader evil" road.

Sorry for sounding grumpy it's just Sylvannas is probably my all time faveorite character in WoW and seeing her being badly writen is just depressing really.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

It doesn't outright say from who or what, but it isn't necessarily Anduin's definition of right and wrong. There have been times in the novel that he believed that his initial decision was the right decision, but the pain was telling him that it was the wrong decision. For example, when Sylvanas was ordering her Dark Rangers to start killing the Forsaken that didn't immediately return to her, Anduin's initial decision was to do nothing. Apparently, that was the wrong decision since he felt a growing pain until he made the right decision, which was to send Turalyon and Alliance soldiers out to rescue any Humans and Forsaken that they could, but to not engage the Dark Rangers unless they were attacked first.

It could be the Light causing it or it could be the magic of the Divine Bell doing it.

Initially in the Alpha and Beta, it was thought that the other Horde leaders were just blindly following Sylvanas and were perfectly fine with everything that she was doing. But the novel has revealed that she is lying to them all, like in telling them that the Alliance killed the Forsaken at the meeting in Arathi.

Ever since Cata, she has wanted to kill Humans for the sake of creating more Forsaken. Some have said it is so that the Forsaken wouldn't die out, whilst others have said it was done to create a bigger shield between herself and the afterlife. But it seems that the latter has become more the case, as well as a possibly new belief that humanity is a burden, and thus she is doing humans a favor by killing and reanimating them.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

cowmuflage wrote:"Somehow, due to the Divine Bell crushing Anduin, he is now unable to do anything wrong without feeling immense pain. Even just thinking about a wrong choice causes pain."

WTF is this bad fan fiction shit? Seriously? Typical Blizzard "Alliance always good, Horde always bad" boring bullshit. What constitutes "wrong"? Being pro Alliance would be considered being "wrong" in some peoples eyes. Hell him eating meat would be "wrong" too. wtf.

Next they will be making Baine a badguy. Cus it seems like they are going down the "make every Horde leader evil" road.

Sorry for sounding grumpy it's just Sylvannas is probably my all time faveorite character in WoW and seeing her being badly writen is just depressing really.
It does sound like bad fanfic, if it's genuine, but that's also not too much of a stretch for pulp fantasy. :P

Baine becoming evil would be one jumped shark too many. Even the most desperate believers would have trouble accepting that as good writing. I don't think they'd dare go that path.
Valnaaros wrote:He later gives Valeera a piece of his horn
Now it's starting to sound like a Steamy Romance novel :lol:
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

It appears to be genuine. The guy later posted pics of him with the book and showed various pages of it.
Aggannor
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: EU Wildhammer

Unread post by Aggannor »

Regarding the Divine Bell thing, lets remember that it was made by Mogu and "bound by the breath of darkest shadow". When rang it would fill warriors with hatred and anger, and strike fear and doubt into the enemies of the user, which clearly points at the Sha and Old Gods. So the pain could in theory be some kind of Void/Old God corruption, guiding Anduin in a favorable direction for it/them.

...or it could just be bad fan fiction writing.
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I really feel like there are people out there who write questionable fan fiction wondering when Blizz read their stuff
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Possibly, though you then have to remember that Anduin reforged the Harmonic Mallet and used it on the Divine Bell prior to it being destroyed. When used on the bell, it would create pure harmony. Also, we know that Anduin turns out well in the end, due to the comic that shows him still alive and well decades into the future.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Yeah, the story is consistent. For me, it's more of a case of "and then another magic thing happened because of a random magical object to give the character a new quirk" that feels like fanfic. I kinda expect that from MMO game stories - the story really is just there to drive the game play and not the other way around - but it always seems like a cheap device in novels. Maybe that's unfair.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I agree. It is very much like something that would be in a fanfic. Anduin is already known as a character that always tries to do what is right, which isn't a bad thing. But if this new quirk is as it sounds, then Anduin literally cannot make the wrong choice without suffering pain.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I want to see Anduin embrace the pain, go full shadow/void priest, and wreck some shit.
SlickrockGhost
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Everywhere

Unread post by SlickrockGhost »

I just don't get the Sylvanas love... I'll gladly fight against her until the end. And after doing the early beta stuff, I think I'll faction change my one horde hunter. I really do despise her.
Last edited by SlickrockGhost on Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

SlickrockGhost wrote:I just don't get the Sylvanas love... I'll gladly fight against her until the end.
I liked her prior to Cata. After that, she gradually fell into villain territory, and in BfA has completely delved into it.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Valnaaros wrote:
SlickrockGhost wrote:I just don't get the Sylvanas love... I'll gladly fight against her until the end.
I liked her prior to Cata. After that, she gradually fell into villain territory, and in BfA has completely delved into it.
I don't get the Jaina love. She's been shittly written since Cata.

I have always liked Sylvannas. She to me has been the only female character that I found to have a well made personality. I used to think Jaina was like that too but after Cata my mind has been changed. I think Sylvannas has been badly written for ages, mainly to make the Horde the "bad guys" and I really wish they'd stop making her Garrosh 2.0. I really wish they'd stop killing off or making Horde characters evil because at this point it's already been done and it's boring.
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

I love Sylvanas, but I think like many others, I love what she could have been, not what she's being retconned into. Her development was at one point very complex and I was excited to see where they'd go- the Silverpine questline, as well as the entire arc with her Valkyr sisters, seemed like it had a lot of potential and it would have been great to see this hardened, ruthless, one-track-brained character learn what it means to be Warchief and that the whole Horde is her family, not just the Forsaken.

But we've seen this exact thing happen with Garrosh- down to the letter, with his development getting retconned and turning the Horde evil, though this time it seems a lot more black and white with the whole Horde getting the evil stick and not just a few races.

It's hard not to stick by a character you love when you know they could be great, even when the writers are determined to ruin it for you. :/

(not even going to take a shot at this Anduin thing)

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Despite being Allience back when I played Sylvanas and Thralli liked a lot. . Sad they taken the "let's destroy good characters " road.

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Though there was speculation of such, it looks like the Mag'har have an extremely biased view of the AU Draenei, and might actually be at fault for what is happening to the world.

New datamined dialogue has shown that the Mag'har killed all of the Botani/Primals. Without them, plantlife on Draenor would eventually die off. That Mag'har seemed to have also returned to being very bloodthirsty. There is dialogue of (presumably Geyah'rah) wondering if Draenei tendrils have bones and, if so, they could string them together and hang them from the battlements of Horde bases.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

More info from the novel. Sylvanas has installed check points around the Undercity and all Forsaken are required to give up all mementos of their former lives and adopt a new name.

She also felt a twisted joy whenever a Forsaken was rejected by a living family member/friend at the meeting, and she was hoping that the meeting would fail.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

During the Stormsong incursion, the Horde receive a WQ to kill a Pandaren named Mistweaver Nina. She is found outside of a hut casting a Ring of Peace at the doorway as Horde assassins attempt to get past. Inside are a bunch of injured, unarmed civilians. After killing her, the assassins go inside and kill the civilians. To make things worse, Nian is not a member of the Alliance. She is neutral. Killing her is the equivalent of killing a Doctor without Borders.