Still No New Spirit Beast?

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Steve
Realm: Stormrage-US

Still No New Spirit Beast?

Unread post by Steve »

Has anyone found a new spirit beast or rare spawn tame? Kind of disappointed there's no spectral animal out there waiting to be found. Was particularly hoping for a lion. Many probably don't remember that they used to add a new "Loque," with each major content patch or expansion. With exceptions of course.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: Still No New Spirit Beast?

Unread post by Vephriel »

I wouldn't be surprised if one shows up in a later patch, they might just be too busy to put something together for launch.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Vephriel wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if one shows up in a later patch, they might just be too busy to put something together for launch.
This. There are still a couple of builds left for it to be implemented, and thus far they have been rather busy implementing new systems and completing other things that, honestly, are far more important (to the game as a whole) than a Spirit Beast.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

There's a cobra recolor that looks like it could be a spirit beast. The file name is the same as a boss in a dungeon, I don't know if she's been given the skin though. It could end up a Gara-like hidden spirit beast. There are a number of undiscovered (and unsolved) puzzles.
Steve
Realm: Stormrage-US

Unread post by Steve »

Xota wrote:There's a cobra recolor that looks like it could be a spirit beast. The file name is the same as a boss in a dungeon, I don't know if she's been given the skin though. It could end up a Gara-like hidden spirit beast. There are a number of undiscovered (and unsolved) puzzles.
I would be more than happy with a cobra spirit beast. I hope it's not like Gara though. Gara was... a handout. It just felt too easy. I like pets like Loque, Banthalos, Sambas etc. because they're difficult to find and tame and have become somewhat of a status symbol. If not a rare spawn then maybe something that involves some challenge like taming Fenryr. Maybe as a reward for completing the next mage tower type thing.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Xota wrote:There's a cobra recolor that looks like it could be a spirit beast. The file name is the same as a boss in a dungeon, I don't know if she's been given the skin though. It could end up a Gara-like hidden spirit beast. There are a number of undiscovered (and unsolved) puzzles.
She has been given this new model. Originally, she had the green and black cobra variants, but now she has been given a new model.
Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

Gara wasn't a handout if you were doing it at level in WoD. Those mobs were mean.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Steve wrote: I would be more than happy with a cobra spirit beast. I hope it's not like Gara though. Gara was... a handout. It just felt too easy. I like pets like Loque, Banthalos, Sambas etc. because they're difficult to find and tame and have become somewhat of a status symbol. If not a rare spawn then maybe something that involves some challenge like taming Fenryr. Maybe as a reward for completing the next mage tower type thing.
Gara wasn't really a handout, imo. She took alot of combined time and effort for the community to solve when she first was introduced. I can understand why you prefer the super rares, but so many people have them now and they are so, so easy to get if you server hop to a low pop server that they feel more like handouts to me than Gara does. I can group with someone on a low pop server and collect a full set of spirit beasts with a side of Sambas in a single sitting. To get Gara, I still have to do her quest, at least.

And, in a new expansion, a super rare pet will engender even more ill will and poor sportsmanship than Loque in his glory days could ever have dreamed of. Imagine a rare like Loque or Arcturis in today's game. Let's assume Blizz goes old school and makes that new rare a rare how they used to be, with an irregular timer that can span days. That seems to be what you're wanting if I understand correctly? Newer players are conditioned to think of rares as loot pinatas that will quickly respawn, often within minutes. New zones will be heavily populated. This sets the stage for alot of heartbreak and "u mad bro lol" moments, as someone kills your pet in front of you and tells you to wait for it to respawn. And that person will not understand, most likely, that rares used to be....rare. And that this new super rare is an old style rare. And that you could be in for a several day camp while everyone else is leveling and gearing.

I'd rather have a quest beast or challenge tame in the style of the MoP porcupines than deal with that mess.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Same here. Rares that took hours or days to respawn were/are a pain, and like what Teigan said, there will be tons of ill will and poor sportsmanship with such a pet.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Yeah, I personally prefer the newer things they've been trying out. I like that some of the SBs have unique challenges or quests, and honestly a long timer doesn't really mean much these days, it's just frustrating for no good reason.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Let's not forget they tried the rare spirit beast approach in Legion with Lightning Paw, Spectral Gryphon, and Lightning Raptor, and they were all very badly received by the majority of hunters.

Long Timers should be abandoned as a mechanic.
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

I liked the convoluted puzzle phased always there rares and the track tracking ones. Doing something was just more fun than the "wait timer" rares, that being said I loath the instant respawn rares. It's not a rare, no matter what the tag says, if you can always find it. :| :mrgreen:

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I love that they try different things. The tracking prints method is probably my favourite. You feel like a real ranger!
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Flyra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Draenor EU (Horde), Mazrigos EU (Alliance)

Unread post by Flyra »

Maybe there is one but it's so elusive no one has found it yet? :lol: Could be prints in an area with a lot of mobs, in a cave in the middle of nowhere like the wolf-hawks. Even Bulvinkel was quite out of the way. I didn't play much of legion but weren't the gryphon and raptor added later? Maybe they'll do that again.

FR: Heart #57524 WoW: Flyra#21730

evil950510
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Alleria

Unread post by evil950510 »

Another SB just means need to have a free stable slot, and if your stables full means loosing out on the tame or loosing a pet. Its pointless to add more when they need to address the size of Hunter stables.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Flyra wrote:Maybe there is one but it's so elusive no one has found it yet? :lol: Could be prints in an area with a lot of mobs, in a cave in the middle of nowhere like the wolf-hawks. Even Bulvinkel was quite out of the way. I didn't play much of legion but weren't the gryphon and raptor added later? Maybe they'll do that again.
It's possible, though nothing in particular has been found in the DB. And yes, the gryphon and raptor were added in 7.2, and both were poorly received due to their long respawn timer and the random shard phasing.

It's entirely possible that Blizz might wait till Live to actually implement rare beasts. They showed with the Panthara taming method that they are willing to do just that.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Not SB directly, but when it comes to rare beasts, I am going to be so disappointed if we dont see the primordial direhorn models in Zandalar. Would be perfect for rares, such an opportunity here!
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

I hope we MAKE our Spirit Beast this time, like we made our Iron Juggernaut pets. Wicker Beasts, anyone? The battle pet Wicker Pup is totally a great precursor for this.

- Collect wood from wicker enemies and witches
- Collect a wolf or bear's carcass from any wolf or bear in Drustvar
- Collect a stag skull from various Stags in Drustvar
- Combine them in some remote location
- Tame the crafted beast
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

WerebearGuy wrote:I hope we MAKE our Spirit Beast this time, like we made our Iron Juggernaut pets. Wicker Beasts, anyone? The battle pet Wicker Pup is totally a great precursor for this.

- Tame the crafted beast
I think Gara was the precursor to it though.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

WerebearGuy wrote:I hope we MAKE our Spirit Beast this time, like we made our Iron Juggernaut pets. Wicker Beasts, anyone? The battle pet Wicker Pup is totally a great precursor for this.

- Tame the crafted beast
Oo, I like that idea. Plenty of opportunity to add in some challenges that aren't waiting days for a rare spawn.