Petopia home page TEST

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Petopia home page TEST

Unread post by Wain »

That's great! Thanks everyone, your feedback was awesome :) I'll push it to live, and work on some tooltips as soon as I get a 'pet specs in BfA' page done.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Will you be adding the spec spells like the Ferocity BL to the front page in some way? :mrgreen:

Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

Colors look way better on the borders now!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Rawr wrote:Will you be adding the spec spells like the Ferocity BL to the front page in some way? :mrgreen:
No, that'll be on a separate page. The front page is just for selecting families and some news :)
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Posted in another thread, but it might be worth making a way for people to *only* show exotic pets.

Since they have 2 abilities, some actual have usefulness outside of combat, some people might want to be able to look just for exotic pets without having to sort through every pet of that spec.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Myzou wrote:Since they have 2 abilities, some actual have usefulness outside of combat, some people might want to be able to look just for exotic pets without having to sort through every pet of that spec.
Hmm, I'll see if I can do it smoothly :) At least there aren't that many exotics and they're all marked with shiny stars, so they should be easy enough to pick out.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Oh how cool! Wish I had seen this thread earlier.

The word "Non-Exotic" is clipping through the button graphic on IE, Chrome, and Firefox for me. Anyone else?

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Quiv wrote:Oh how cool! Wish I had seen this thread earlier.

The word "Non-Exotic" is clipping through the button graphic on IE, Chrome, and Firefox for me. Anyone else?

Ah, that was a test page I cobbled together last night and didn't finish ;) It's not on the live page.

There are issues with a label of that size. I've already shrunk the text as much as I'm ok with. Either I make that single button bigger, and make the button row look inconsistent, or I make all the buttons bigger and make a cluttered mess. Even if I found a magic solution it feels like there are now too many buttons and it's getting away from the clean design. So, yeah, I'm undecided on where to go with it :/
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Oh I guess I'm just late to the party :lol: Didn't realize this was already live. Guess I need to sloowwww downnnn.

I think this is a nice play on normal filtering. Instead of regular checkboxes, color coding them and making them checks is a good choice. I didn't even realize they were filters when I first saw them, so the new functionality was a nice surprise.

Could call "non-exotics" something like regular or normal? Or maybe even having that particular filter toggle between all/exotic/normal instead of having two buttons for the pet types? /shrug

Either way, bravo on the new function.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Maizou »

I'd call them "Regular" or "General" and put "All Hunters" under it, like how exotic says BM only.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've experimented with a non-exotic toggle, but I confess I'm not happy with the feature. The test page is here: http://www.wow-petopia.com/index2.php

It works, but for me it feels like it's just one button too many. For design simplicity I think I'll just reinstate the exotics-only category at the bottom, like it was before.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've simply added the Exotic category back to the bottom of the home page.

While I was there I also created and added a little BfA tag for relevant families, which should appear over the top left of family icons. It seemed to balance the exotic tag better in that position.

Just a minor addition: I also added an icon for when users unclick all the specs :)

These changes are already live. The index2 test page isn't up to date.
ilixirshy
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: stormrage

Unread post by ilixirshy »

:D

signature by spiritbinder
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

New exotic marker icon, courtesy of SpiritBinder :)
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Neat! :D :mrgreen:

Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Maizou »

Silly question, with it only 2-3 weeks away, are you planning to make a "8.0 Pre-Patch New Pets" page that includes the frogs, pterrodaxes, unicorns, dimetradons, etc. that we gained the ability to tame? There's usually one up by now, which is why I'm curious.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Myzou wrote:Silly question, with it only 2-3 weeks away, are you planning to make a "8.0 Pre-Patch New Pets" page that includes the frogs, pterrodaxes, unicorns, dimetradons, etc. that we gained the ability to tame? There's usually one up by now, which is why I'm curious.
I hope to :)
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Maizou »

If you need help, just let us know, I and I'm sure others would be glad to go through all the new models/pet pages and post a list for ya.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Myzou wrote:If you need help, just let us know, I and I'm sure others would be glad to go through all the new models/pet pages and post a list for ya.
A very detailed, up-to-date list has already been made.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I appreciate that! Thanks :). I think it's pretty much done, though, since the only 8.0 pets are old world stuff and so restricted to toads, diemetradons, pterrordaxes and dreamrunners - hopefully we'll also see zhevras and skyscreamers tameable before release, too. I've already added all the taming data for those models. It's the new continent stuff that I haven't added yet.