Anyone miss the older models?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Re: Anyone miss the older models?

Unread post by Talihawk »

For the most part? No, not really? For the majority of critters the higher rez textures are way better...but I do admit I wish they'd gone with some brighter colors with some models.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

Another updated beast with some good and flaws, the black color and the new face and scales make the beast look mighty, the flaws are the missing back armor plating by the neck and those awful new cartoon feet. They could have made the feet more ferocious looking and make the back plating match their plates. The kodos were more faithful to the old model than the thunder lizards
Before

After
Zoruaronan
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Thrall

Unread post by Zoruaronan »

worgpower wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:27 pm Another updated beast with some good and flaws, the black color and the new face and scales make the beast look mighty, the flaws are the missing back armor plating by the neck and those awful new cartoon feet. They could have made the feet more ferocious looking and make the back plating match their plates. The kodos were more faithful to the old model than the thunder lizards
Before

After
This right here is one of the biggest reasons why I'm not into the newer models anymore, It feels like they're trying too hard to modernize the design and in doing so, They lost a lot of the character and charm the classic models had. I've already gave my complaints on why Thunderstomps model was horrible in terms of change, But this is another key example

The original blue thunder lizard was so much more vibrant and colorful, The shade of blue they used was gorgeous for such a magnificent beast
And now it just looks like they took the new black color, Put a dark blue tint on it and called it a new look

Again I must stress this enough so that people don't think I'm a hater, I do not think all the newer models are bad, Hell I will happily admit some of them (Such as the new Spiders, Core Hounds, Classic Boars and too a lesser extent the Beetles) are great and much needed improvements! But there are also some (Such as the Thunder Lizards, Hyenas, Wind Serpents and Vultures) Who look worse either due to Poor recolor choices, "New" Skeletons for the models which make them loose their charm (AKA: Darkhounds using the Coyote Skeleton or Vultures & Ravens using the Druid Flight Form Skeleton) or a combination of both issues.

There are some I'm conflicted on being bother better and worse, For example the Beetles.
While I love the more rugged and rough textures they have, Alongside the really nice updated colors. Part of me does miss the more smoother and shiny beetles of the past.

Especially some of the older color schemes such as the Red & Green or Green & Purple color combos. I will say though, The Uldum Scarabs newer models definitely look the best in terms of the newer models as the more rugged texture fits their patterns way better.