[New Baby Pet] Murkfur Pup

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

[New Baby Pet] Murkfur Pup

Unread post by Dialga »

https://twitter.com/wowpetopia/status/1 ... 1213999595

If you tamed the Murkfur Pup before 10.2.5, you'll now have a baby pet! Since so few people tamed them (I think Wain's the only one I've seen!) they may persist. Untameable now.

Cozzene
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Re: [New Baby Pet] Murkfur Pup

Unread post by Cozzene »

The vorquin model was changed, so we lost the baby. This model was changed, with no thought on what would happen to any previously tamed, despite the devs doing exactly this not too long ago. Very frustrating, since of course no one could have seen this coming.

Edited because I didn't like I worded it. I wasn't clear enough =\
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

To be fair, the original Murkfur Pup wasn't anything special or unique. Very few people likely went about taming it. Besides, the reasons for the changes were different. For the pup, it was to make it into an actual pup. For the Vorquin, it was to get rid of something that tons of people had that Blizz didn't want for tons of people to have.
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

Valnaaros wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:52 pm To be fair, the original Murkfur Pup wasn't anything special or unique. Very few people likely went about taming it. Besides, the reasons for the changes were different. For the pup, it was to make it into an actual pup. For the Vorquin, it was to get rid of something that tons of people had that Blizz didn't want for tons of people to have.
It's interesting because it's the first time I've seen Blizzard make a mistake like this. There's been plenty of times that tameable pets changed models and became untameable, but they always catch and fix them. Considering there won't be another patch (as they've fixed the foals and toads with 'next patch' fixes recently) until the Alpha, I'd say there's a very decent chance these babies make it out unscathed, especially since barely anyone went and grabbed one. Wain was likely one of the only few people who noticed since he was reporting on the Murkfur Alpha changes in the PTR.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

These baby bugs are quite the outrage. Many of those pets are way too cute to get beaten in combat and I understand why blizzard only wants us to take adults. The only currently tameable baby creatures are Flightless teroclaws. I still have my baby mammoth up to this day, although it’s hiding in my stables.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I thought the Murkfur Pup had already been reported here, so I'm sorry I didn't let more people know before the patch hit. Sorry, I had a lot of distractions and was racing to get the database finalised before the patch hit so I assumed and didn't check. I only noticed it a few days before release.

I'm still half expecting it'll be fixed, but it would have been fun for more people to play with before it was.

It's not the first time a mistake like that has happened but they're usually caught quickly. I think it comes from more junior devs who make changes to NPCs and don't realise that it can affect existing tamed versions.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

worgpower wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:16 pm These baby bugs are quite the outrage. Many of those pets are way too cute to get beaten in combat and I understand why blizzard only wants us to take adults. The only currently tameable baby creatures are Flightless teroclaws. I still have my baby mammoth up to this day, although it’s hiding in my stables.
Yeah, while the flightless teroclaws are used as babies in a number of situations, they're not a babyish "chibi" model and are usually treated as fully-functional attack NPCs. So that's likely the difference.

Even back in Pandaria days, they were used as hostile NPCs in the raid.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Kööna
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin - US

Unread post by Kööna »

Well, this is really upsetting considering they've been getting "rid" of baby animals. The lack of consistency is astounding.
I really wish they would bring back the baby Vorquin.
Bambu
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo/Eitrigg

Unread post by Bambu »

I don't see the moral issue with taming baby animals. We can kill them in-front of their parents or tame their parents then have the parents kill their babies before abandoning the parent. That's way more messed up. I think it's less a moral issue as much as "these could be mistaken as companion pets in pvp".

EDIT: Not to mention the entire gameplay system where we make small creatures fight to the death.
starbeakel

Unread post by starbeakel »

Such a shame they're getting rid of them, they were quite cute.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

As far as I know, they haven’t gotten rid of it yet.
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

Wanted to check in to see if these were changed in the newest patch or they were grandfathered for my notes