On Sharing & Concealing Information

Mania
Administrator
Administrator

On Sharing & Concealing Information

Unread post by Mania »

These forums - the WoW Petopia community - exist for two reasons:
  1. To share knowledge about hunter pets in WoW.
  2. To foster communication with other people who have the same appreciation for hunter pets that we do.
This community does not exist to discover information about hunter pets and then conceal it. In particular, we are not here to hoard information about unintended side-effects, bugs, or exploits that give us access to special pets.

If you discover something about a pet that you don't want to be public knowledge, then don't post it here. This is a public forum. Moreover, you may want to consider your membership here because we exist explicitly to share information.

---

Now I know that I unintentionally misled some people when I declined to post on my blog, Mania's Arcania, about Soriid the Devourer's new look. I am very sorry that my behavior misled.

In brief: Soriid is a tameable purple silithid on the live realms. On the Cataclysm beta realms, Soriid is untameable and shares an appearance with the boss silithid Buru the Gorger.

If you tame Soriid on live and transfer that character to the beta, you end up with an enormous pet that looks like Buru. If that behavior holds until Cataclysm launch, it means that any hunter who tames Soriid before Cataclysm will end up with a very unique and retired pet. The same situation also applies to Haarka the Ravenous and possibly other silithids.

When the information on Soriid was posted, I jokingly asked if I should post about it on Mania's Arcania ... and then wandered off the thread. The implication was that I supported the effort to keep the general WoW population from finding out about Soriid, presumably in an effort to keep Blizzard from finding out about the bug and fixing it. That was a valid conclusion to take away from what I posted, and I apologize for that because it's not at all what I meant.

So why didn't post I post anything on my blog about this?
  • Since we started this forum community, it's taken the place of the blog for the more transient pet information. In other words, I know the members here understand that stuff posted here - in any of the sub-forums - is likely to change. This is a forum - it moves fast. The blog, however, gets visitors for months and years after the fact and I rarely have time to go back and comment a blog post when things change. Now the beta tends to blur the lines quite a bit, but my expectation is that this behavior won't last very long even in the beta, and so it didn't seem like a good candidate for a blog post.
  • On the flip side, the blog is a great way to highlight exciting news, and Soriid's new model is a certainly exciting news. But given the previous relationship between Blizzard and the hunter community where unintended pets are involved - namely the Grimtotem Spirit Guide and Garwal - I expected this situation to stir up some deep emotion. I was trying to balance the act of sharing exciting news with a wider audience vs. the deep emotion and bitterness it was likely to stir up. I think now that I made the wrong call.
In point of fact, I filed a bug report in the beta when I heard about this. The existing behavior is clearly a bug one way or another, and I'm in beta to report bugs.

More to the point, I think it would be a very bad idea for Cataclysm to launch with the current behavior. This is my personal opinion, but I'll give you my reasoning here as part of my explanation as to why I didn't post on the blog - which is part of my apology as to how I may have misled you about the purpose of this forum by my own behavior.

In the best case, the grandfathered boss silithids would remain as unique, retired pets - much like the Grimtotem Spirit Guide. In the worst case, and I believe the more likely given the size and boss nature of the model, Blizzard would change previously-tamed Soriid's back into plain purple silithids, much as they did with the Garwal worg/worgen. Both cases would leave the hunter community as a whole even more splintered and bitter than before. And we don't need the help.

In addition, my personal opinion on retired pets is well known: I want all hunters to have access to all pet looks. Lots of members here don't agree with my opinion, and I respect that. We've had some good discussions here about the topic and I am sure that we will continue to do so. I look forward to it - so long as the discussions remain respectful of other posters.

So there you are - a clarification of official forum policy (we don't hoard information) plus an apology from me (I'm sorry that I behaved in a way that may have made you think we do).

Feel free to respond in this thread, or via PM, or via e-mail (mania@wow-petopia.com). Just keep the thread respectful, please. (You can be as disrespectful to me as you like in PM or e-mail.)
Sarayana
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Re: On Sharing & Concealing Information

Unread post by Sarayana »

I'm fairly certain most people who've read those threads you reference (about having rare pets be more widely available) know my stance on it - I agree with you 100%, I think pets are there to be tamed and it's a pity that some aren't anymore.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that it's great of you to post about this, I think it bears saying and it's nice to hear your thought process on the matter.
Mania wrote:we exist explicitly to share information
... and that's why I'm a member here. <3

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

/agree Mania. Well put. You seem like a happy person. I like happy. We should not be scared to share a neat bug because

"BLIZZAARD WILL TAKE OUR PRECIOUS!!"

Even though I wasnt a hunter until a few months ago, I still like seeing non-tameable pets around (Grimtotem Spirit, Ghost Hydra, etc). Those things exist to add a sort of vanity to the variety of pets we see.

I don't think I would like seeing a bunch of hunters come Cata with massive blue or red bugs around. Just imagine seeing 20 of these massive bugs altogether in Dal covering up the Quest giver for the Kal'uak fishing derby return and you happen to lose out on winning the tourney that week because of 20 bugs that were inhibiting you from being able to turn in the prize.

I already get annoyed with players on mammoths who stand on questgivers to block access.
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

I have no doubt that even if we get to keep our brainbugs, Blizzard will nerf their size. Still, hopefully we'll get a few days of ZOMGMASSIVEBUGS crawling everywhere, just for fun. :)

Hopefully, Blizzard will just make the models available to be tamed permanently and thus diffuse the situation without taking away the pets that have the hunter community buzzing. Seriously, there's been more posts about the silithids than the foxes at this point (at least here); it would be kind of dumb for Blizzard to shoot the positive press in the foot.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Hehe, that's a good point Kalliope, hopefully Blizzard looks at it with that attitude as well. :3

All in all I think it would be wonderful for them to expand a bit on the Silithid family mainly due to so many of their models being locked away in AQ where no one ever sees them or can appreciate them. I love that they brought out that Boss skin to place on some rares out in the world just so that they can be seen again.
Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Lightbringer-US Nessingwary-US

Unread post by Zangor »

its not a bug its ahem "a clever use of game mechanics"
:)
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

Zangor wrote:its not a bug its ahem "a clever use of game mechanics" :)
To twist an internet meme: Brain bug is bug. :D
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Mania wrote:
Zangor wrote:its not a bug its ahem "a clever use of game mechanics" :)
To twist an internet meme: Brain bug is bug. :D
Beat me to it, Mania! :lol:

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Lightbringer-US Nessingwary-US

Unread post by Zangor »

i still feel that all the special pets are a clever use of game mechanics garwal sure he wasnt meant to be tamed and worgen are a playable race
i think its far more likely that since blizz didnt change them now they probably wont bother now just because hunters are getting them the only problem with them is the size they need to shrink and behave like normal pets

i still hope blizz heeds our calls and adds them as a new model/skin for silithids
to be honest we need more exotic pet look choices
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

*nods at Zangor* My comment was making a pun on the silithid = bug thing more than actually responding to your comment. But I can see where you are coming from with that.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I agree with you 100% mania to me i can't stand the unataneable pets as to me it feels unfair for other hunters who may be new or not of knowen about it. I think hunters should be able to get all pet skins and stop with this "lol shame you did not get this pet" stuff alot of people like.
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Royi wrote:
I don't think I would like seeing a bunch of hunters come Cata with massive blue or red bugs around. Just imagine seeing 20 of these massive bugs altogether in Dal covering up the Quest giver for the Kal'uak fishing derby return and you happen to lose out on winning the tourney that week because of 20 bugs that were inhibiting you from being able to turn in the prize.
If Blizz lets us keep them I really doubt they will keep them the same size, think Devilsaur. Also I think its good to share "bugged" pets, but sharing on a "bug" on this site comes with its down sides. I find that the more that ppl share it on big sites(like this one), the faster Blizz fixes it, and the less ppl actually get said "bugged" pet. That is really the only issue I have with sharing here, if I do find a "bug" I normally tell on my hunter friends which, until I joined the Petopian guild, was like 2. I think its best to share it in-game 1st for a bit before posting, that way at least ppl who don't normally surf can try to nab the little guys.

Side note: I've only seen the croc glitch pet on 2 ppl, not including myself, and the Grimtotem wolf on 4.
Last edited by Rawr on Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zeilla8
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ravenholdt EU

Unread post by Zeilla8 »

I hope they get resized. After questing with 'Squish' (Haarka) it is SO hard to loot items because Squish's hit box is so big. I have to go send him to stay in another place while I loot my mobs. >.<

WoW Hunter vids, Vlogs and Cooking!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Zeilla8
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I have no doubts that should these new models remain implemented as pets they'll be resized. ^^