Mounts in Legion

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Re: Mounts in Legion

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

Well, that makes it so there's ZERO point in getting the red one (aside from completionism/blue sparkledragon) because pretty much everyone has flight in Draenor on all their characters by this point. The only use of a waterwalking mount is short cuts when you can't fly, so while water-walking in Draenor had a point once upon a time, at this point it's just... kind of a non issue...

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

:roll:

Fun was detected.

Nerf.exe was upgraded to Squash.exe.

Fun was destroyed by Squash.exe.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Wowhead speculates that it's to make the new fishing artifact more attractive, since it offers water walking. If so that's pretty uninspired. If their major idea of making a new fishing item attractive is to give it the same power that has been offered so many times in so many ways and just remove it from other sources, then they aren't creating, they're just shifting stuff around.

But I'm trying not to get too annoyed until this is comfirmed. It COULD be poorly-implemented text, which has happened many times before.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Wain wrote:Wowhead speculates that it's to make the new fishing artifact more attractive, since it offers water walking. If so that's pretty uninspired. If their major idea of making a new fishing item attractive is to give it the same power that has been offered so many times in so many ways and just remove it from other sources, then they aren't creating, they're just shifting stuff around.

But I'm trying not to get too annoyed until this is comfirmed. It COULD be poorly-implemented text, which has happened many times before.
Yeah, but if it's true, I gotta chime in.

Isn't one of the golden video game rules that removing one thing to make another thing seem more appealing is one of the things you do not do?
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

There are SO many other ways they could have gone about this if it's true... I'm a little lost for words.
I'll wait for it to be confirmed before I post on the forums.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

It's not just a text mistake. I've confirmed in game. My red water strider won't work in Pandaria! This is beyond ridiculous.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

If it's poorly written for "or earlier content", then that's not unreasonable. I don't want to mention something else, in case they haven't thought of it, but it makes me feel ok about it if they are boneheadedly restricting water walking mounts by continent.

Another option would be that learning a water walking mount would unlock water walking for that content and below. Like if someone got the Draenor strider, they'd still be able to use it around Timeless Isle, Isle of Giants, and Isle of Thunder (and when leveling to 60 and Darkmoon Isle). Instead of making them going back and farming old content. Dragging a different mount out depending on which continent you are on is poor design.

Is there any indication that the fishing artifact will be account wide? If not, they really haven't thought it through at all.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

This ^

Ok, I may start another side thread, that will let us discuss this a bit more in depth. I would really love to get those concerned brain storming. If this ends up being confirmed, I would really like to take everyone's idea to the official forums and see if we can get them to rethink the current proposal.

Any ideas, please head over... ----> HERE <-----

­
­
­
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

I've made a comment in the other constructive thread but I'll say this here - this is by fame the lamest change ever. I can handle being grounded but to take away a mount that is not an easy grind to get and you've had for 2 expansions is just....beyond me. Someone had a brain fart is all i can think at this point.

And honestly I can't see it making more ppl atrracted to the fishing artifact anyway. It's one of those professions you either love or hate. And if you hate fishing you'd surely go without water walking (which is a relatively minor thing ingame anyway) for an expansion if you had to. Or like roll a warlock or shaman...which to people who hate fishing would seem alot more appealing!!

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Or a DK! Frankly, I'm one of those fishing-haters and I only sucked up the grind for the blue one 'cause I wanted to use it on grounded lowbies. It still has SOME use as it is in Legion if only because I'm too cheap to buy flight at 5k/pop or something when I'm already on my way to Draenor, but it really would suck to be unable to use it on <60s.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Hey guys. Great news...

Our initial change was aimed at letting people feel more free to choose the mount that they felt looked coolest, whether in new content or while leveling alts. But as we’ve clearly heard from your feedback, removing the water-walking functionality from pre-existing content feels like we’re taking away something that you have worked hard to earn, and that cost outweighs any benefit from potentially broadened cosmetic options.

So, in the next Alpha build, we’re restoring the ability of Water Striders to walk on water in all pre-Legion content (Azeroth, Outland, Northrend, etc.). The restriction on the mounts’ water-walking ability will now only apply to the Broken Isles and future content beyond that.

See, they DO listen if you scream loud enough. (I can totally accept the things not working in Legion, it's freakin' VANILLA I ain't givin' up my water bug for...)

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

More news on water striders. Blizz has backed off COMPLETELY and now says the red/blue waterstriders will actually work in Legion content also.

I still kinda wanna farm the red one cause i think it's prettier than the blue but maaaan what a paaaain that is. Geh.

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

So a single Undead Warhorse Mount was found in the new Alpha this morning,

and now another 3 have appeared... making four.

Now I don't think that (Though I'd love to be proven wrong) that these horses are meant for players use, but for some other... men. Four other men, undead men, who ride horses....

You could call them, the four Horsemen I suppose, well thats my guess. ;)

­
­
­
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

It's possible they'll end up usable for both, somehow, but you could well be right about the Four Horsemen. My guess is the cool white one will distinguish the leader himself, and the other three horsemen will be linked by riding variants on a lime green theme, which seems to me to be excessive use of that colour :S . I wonder who will be riding the tomato one. ;)

The white one really is beautiful though. White as a symbol of death isn't used often enough :)
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

;_;
I wanted that first one so badly.
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

omg i love these so much! fingers crossed we get one to ride that isn't a pvp one :)

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

The bottom one is ... peculiarly festive.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Nachtwulf wrote:The bottom one is ... peculiarly festive.
The Winter Veil Jolly Deathcharger? ;)

I do very much like the new model. I just thought it was odd that three of them used green, unless it's to convey the feeling that three of the new horsemen are of similar rank while the other is the leader.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I was thinking that maybe the 'green armor' bits might be being mapped where they don't go, like the model is being filled in with the green armor skin bits because the others aren't done, but when I looked closer, they're subtly different shades of green so... probably no.

...winter veil jolly deathcharger, hahaha...

...now I want it.
I will name him Mr. Jinglebones.

13thmaiden
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by 13thmaiden »

Hmm, the white is the pale horse, which is Death, meaning he's leader. (though in popular depictions, alot of people make him green or corpse palor.)

Black one is Famine, because Black horse is famine in the horsemen.

Green is Pestilence, because well that's the white horse, but I'm thinking the full white one will be Death, so we'll call that one pestilence. (or conquest, depending on how Blizz goes with it)

Lastly red is War, cause war is the red horse.

yaaaaaaay :D