Mounts in Legion

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Re: Mounts in Legion

Post by SpiritBinder »

Looks like there are some new mount icons in the next patch, some are for mounts we already know about, but others... I'm not so sure.

Image Image Image

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Silivren
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Post by Silivren »

SpiritBinder wrote:Looks like there are some new mount icons in the next patch, some are for mounts we already know about, but others... I'm not so sure.

Image Image Image
Hmm... what is that first one? I am intrigued.

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

Post by SpiritBinder »

File name is just horse2mount, so I'm guessing it may be the new Unicorn model as a mount, as I think thats what their file extensions were called too.

The last icon is named mountarmor and under leather working, so I'm not sure if its a mount exactly, or something that has "Blings"your mount.

­
­
­
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

Post by SpiritBinder »

LOL, and there it is :D

­
­
­
Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Post by Silivren »

SpiritBinder wrote:LOL, and there it is :D

I'M DIE. MY SOUL FOR A UNICORN. I HOPE SOME OF THE PRETTY ONES ARE ACCESSIBLE! I NEED IT.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Post by Wain »

Warcraft Mounts has been updated with the six new sickle-horned "unicorn" mounts. As far as I know we don't have a proper name for these beasts yet. If anyone finds a name, please let me know :)

Personally, I'm fond of "Elunicorns" :D You know, given the lunar-shaped horn and the Broken Isles druidic thing and all. Ok, maybe not. ;)

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Note that the wild beast skins would also fit on the mount model. Out of interest I've modelled them using some of the armour intended for the other colours (arbitrarily chosen). Compare them to the official ones and I'll leave it to your judgment which you prefer. Honestly, I'm surprised they weren't used.

Image Image Image Image

I've updated the ghostly moose image for the Spirit of Ech'ero. This mount is no longer just a faded, regular white moose, but instead is a saddled mount with its own special effects! Unfortunately I can't get the mist effects to render properly at the moment, and had to leave them out.

Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Post by Sukurachi »

and these horsemen.. they wear clips to hold their pants... possibly clips made of opal or decorated with opals? so the four horsemen of the opal-pants-clips?
SpiritBinder wrote:So a single Undead Warhorse Mount was found in the new Alpha this morning,

and now another 3 have appeared... making four.

Now I don't think that (Though I'd love to be proven wrong) that these horses are meant for players use, but for some other... men. Four other men, undead men, who ride horses....

You could call them, the four Horsemen I suppose, well thats my guess. ;)

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Post by Wain »

Having now seen the wild versions of the new "unicorn", I have to say I'm really disappointed with the harness design for the mount. I'm not sure the designer gave any thought to what type of creature it is at all.

See, this is what they're like in game:

There are different colours in different zones, but this pretty much captures their essence. Like unicorns, they come across as wild, almost magical, beasts of nature.

So how do you capture and enhance those qualities in the mount version? Well, not by coating it almost head-to-toe in bog-standard barding, as if it was a war horse. And definitely not by then adding a pile of skulls on for garnish. :/

That armour really should have been saved for a regular horse.
Attachments
WildDreamrunner.jpg
WildDreamrunner.jpg (1014.25 KiB) Viewed 3793 times
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Post by Xota »

The one time when an sadleless/armorless Gilnean mount would be most appropriate.

zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Post by zedxrgal »

I need these horsey mounts in my life!

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

Post by SpiritBinder »

Wain wrote:Well, not by coating it almost head-to-toe in bog-standard barding, as if it was a war horse. And definitely not by then adding a pile of skulls on for garnish. :/

Your right it does look like it's meant for a horse, but blizzard/jeremy has already said "it's not a unicorn!" :| That and called it horse2 for a file name. I'm not even going to try understand an iota of any kind of logic regarding blizzards decisions. That said the armour is... ok, rather generic, but then does come across very "WAR!!!". For me, it was the skulls that really threw me off.

The only reasons I thinks they have ended up like this is that they are to end up as PVP mounts (they lurrrrve the slapping on trophy skulls to pvp mounts) or the designer whom did these, normally does the PVP mounts and didn't see the memo :lol:

Or finally, they are going to belong to a new war loving Uni-knight faction that we will have to ---> Insert Rep Grind Here <-----

­
­
­
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Post by Castile »

Wain wrote: So how do you capture and enhance those qualities in the mount version? Well, not by coating it almost head-to-toe in bog-standard barding, as if it was a war horse. And definitely not by then adding a pile of skulls on for garnish. :/

Have to disagree there. I rather like the war horse look of the armour and I'm sure there will be an unarmoured version of it down the line. It wouldn't be very warcraft like if we all rode unicorns with rainbow tails would it? (it would be rainbow bright online :lol: which i'd totally play the crap out of)

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

Post by SpiritBinder »

Castile wrote:
Wain wrote: So how do you capture and enhance those qualities in the mount version? Well, not by coating it almost head-to-toe in bog-standard barding, as if it was a war horse. And definitely not by then adding a pile of skulls on for garnish. :/

Have to disagree there. I rather like the war horse look of the armour and I'm sure there will be an unarmoured version of it down the line. It wouldn't be very warcraft like if we all rode unicorns with rainbow tails would it? (it would be rainbow bright online :lol: which i'd totally play the crap out of)

I think it was more of the "Savage" and "Hard" vibe the specific armor they have chosen for the mounts genealogy (If thats the right word), it looks great on a war horse, but on something that in the wild they have given a personification with nature, the context is a little jarring.

I would have expected the armor for a nature loving Unicorn to be more along the lines of

Image or Image

I guess thats rather stereotypical in my thinking, but due to that it's context would have made more sense. But putting on armour that looks more akin to Image or Image

comes across as inertly a bit wrong

Also all the examples above are actually very heavily adored in armour as a whole, if you look at all the mounts available in wow, many are quite simple. That's not to say the Unihorses needed to be lighter on (though a light and heavy version would have been cool like a fair few mounts have) it's more the Hardness/warlike disconnection the armour has with the beast type itself.

Again, they look nice, it just looks VERY PVP to me ;)

­
­
­
13thmaiden
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Post by 13thmaiden »

Pleaaaaaase don't let them be PVP ;_; I hate PVP and I need those unicorns in my life!!!! *cries*

Yeah the armor is kinda jarring and weird for the more magical nature beast that these guys are coming off as....something more 'elvish' in design would have been more reasonable like SB said, where as the skulls and full body, it works for the dark unicorns like the black shadow or black fire unicorn, but the white ones? Nah-uh...just looks....odd.

Likelihood of them changing? Low, but if they wanted to be sneaky, they could always pull the Gilneas bareback on the white base unicorns like someone said earlier. Or some simple reins and a blanket over the back like the original talbuk models. Something more simple that lets the body do the talking for the 'magical forest beast' while the dark ones can be seen as warhorses.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Post by Nachtwulf »

I imagine at least one of them is a PVP reward, rather like the talbuk for Wrynn's Vanguard. Yeah, it's PVP rep but there were others available through other means. They never add more than 2 pvp mounts per expac; one being some rep grind, and the other being the Epic Machismo Arena Lord mount. (Well, I guess 4 given the facs generally have different mounts but I REALLY DOUBT they'll ALL be unicorns.)

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

Post by SpiritBinder »

I'm not overly keen on them being PVP rewards either and would be shame to exclude them from people whom don't like PVP... but their armour style a design, it just remind me a hell of a lot like ones prior.

But regarding them never adding more than 2 pvp mounts per expac...
Dare I say, Gladiator Arena mounts :| (That said they normally cap out at 4, not 6 per expansion so, I'm not banking on it)

­
­
­
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Post by Wain »

Yeah I think it's just a waste. For some reason some model artist has decided to toughen up their image because they wanted a pvp style mount and it's so foreign to the philosophy of the underlying design that they basically covered 90% of it up. They could really have stuck anything under there aside from the horn, and some horse mounts have armour spike horns on them that would have done. Secondly the armour theme doesn't feel very in keeping with any of the cultures of the Broken Isles, unless there's some Nightborne style I don't recognize. Compared to the moose and hippogryphs, and warsaber it seems very uninspired to me.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

Post by SpiritBinder »

So looks like the rat [Ratstallion Harness] is not going to be a true mount, rather a click/conjured item that summons, and only useable in Dalaran Underbelly
Players in Dalaran's Underbelly can click on a crate to loot Ratstallion Harness. This item lets you summon a mount which only works in the Underbelly.
A shame that a rather unique model is being used for something so limited :|

­
­
­
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Post by Xota »

SpiritBinder wrote:So looks like the rat [Ratstallion Harness] is not going to be a true mount, rather a click/conjured item that summons, and only useable in Dalaran Underbelly
Players in Dalaran's Underbelly can click on a crate to loot Ratstallion Harness. This item lets you summon a mount which only works in the Underbelly.
A shame that a rather unique model is being used for something so limited :|
It could eventually be a permanent mount with a trickier source. I'm going to set my expectations unreasonably high for that.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Post by Wain »

How sad :(

Ah well, to my knowledge it still needs polish (animations and frame still much like a bear which is a little absurd on a rat), but if they're not going to that level of effort then maybe it doesn't deserve to be a true mount for now. I'm still sad though :(