New Character Models Discussion - Update! Fem Gnome Faces

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Re: New Character Models Discussion - Update! Male Night Elf

Unread post by Quiv »

Don't mean to drop a bunch of pics but I finally did some comparisons. I know its still got a ways to go. Have to do alts since my main is a belf.

This is my female undead mage Malyghost. I am praying they make a feature that doesn't have the glowy eyes. The hair got smoothed down a bit which is disappointing to me, but the rest is fine to me. Just so happens those two points are pretty big.

My female troll priest Humanatee. I like everything here. The "cute" face, as mentioned, isn't as cute, has a scowl now but I am personally OK with it. I actually like all of the faces now but that actually indicates they are probably a little ways off from the original faces since I hated the majority of them lol.

My male tauren DK Beefgrip. Except for the fact that the new model got some derp action (yes those dots in the eyes are in game), i LOVEEEEE everything about this upgrade. Male tauren first came across cartoony to me, but seeing it in game, I love it.

I think female human is my favorite so far, but they have also been in beta for a while so its not surprising they have more polish. Some of the expressions are amazing, while some remind me of the pretty girl in high school that just has zero social skills.

Some female draenei poses. Nothing special but made me lol.

And then theres this...

Doc Privas
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Doc Privas »

After seeing your last screenshots I have to say that I like human female a lot more. She definetly looks better ingame with animations rather than on the 'standard' poses!

Cloudstrider - Highmountain Tauren Hunter
Argent Dawn EU

Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

Quivering wrote: And then theres this...
Jeezus criminy, the eyebrows look pencilled on. :| I swear I would accuse you of adding those in photoshop. They really need to adjust the edges of those to make them blend a bit.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Doc Privas
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Doc Privas »

Those eyebrows seem to lack antialiasing, this change to MSAA makes me worry a bit tbh.

Cloudstrider - Highmountain Tauren Hunter
Argent Dawn EU

Nikrosnil
Haiku Master

Unread post by Nikrosnil »

I do have to say that I think that the female troll mohawk braids hairstyle needs a little bit of work on the updated models, now it's completely bald whereas before there was a bit of hair surrounding the mohawk. I think that it would look far better if they gave the hairstyle a sort of undercut look on the side, similar to what they have done with the female orc hairstyles.

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

A lot of the hair on the most recent models looks a little stuck-on, I just don't think it's quite done yet. (hell, half the male human beards look like they're painted on!)

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Seilahyn
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: US - Skywall/Cenarius Alliance - Nesingwary Horde

Unread post by Seilahyn »

Made a Troll Druid and Orc Shaman, got both to ten to preview them in WoD models. Boosted my Druid to 90 because I'm keeping her as is. Will level the Shaman eventually. Screenshots just to show them and how emotive the new models are. I love that the faces actually move, even if they're a little over the top (see Orc).

Ickabob
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Ickabob »

Dat orc's face. And here I thought the new fem dorf's roar animation was exaggerated.
Smyelmdar
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Runetotem/Kilrogg/Nagrand EU

Unread post by Smyelmdar »

LupisDarkmoon wrote:Oof. I've been messing around in Beta, trying to recreate some of my characters, and...

This is my DK's face in live. She's using the very distinctive "Skull" face option- which gives the impression of your character having no nose, eyes, and lips. Very distinct, very cool.

And... beta. Yeah.

I can see why, as the skull face would require completely re-doing all the face animations and geometry, but I still can't help but hope that they're going to add it in anyway. I can take my characters looking a bit different than their live appearance, but this is so extreme that the character feels completely alien.
That's strange. I have always used that look on my rogue, and after tranferring her to the beta, she has a different look than on your images.

Before:

After:

I really hope they make one that is more similar to the old one.

I'll be waiting on the highland, with its wonderful serenity.
Where the stars glow and the brooks flow, that's my way of life.
When the mountains on the highland, and the nature is surrounding me, when the wind blows, that's all I need.

Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

I forgot to upload the screenshots I took of one of my female Tauren characters last night. On the whole, I love the new model, though there are aspects of the face of which I'm not 100% fond. She looks less grumpy. That's not a bad thing in general, but the character tends to be a grumpy cow.

It was tough shots I liked. Either the new anti-aliasing, the screen glow, or a combination of both just makes things look fuzzy and blurred to me.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

There USED to be a way to turn off the screen glow but apparently it's been disabled for some unknown reason. I hate it too. I don't notice any change in the anti-aliasing though since, well, I have to keep my graphics low enough that I've been looking at jagged edges for years. XD

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Nachtwulf wrote:There USED to be a way to turn off the screen glow but apparently it's been disabled for some unknown reason. I hate it too. I don't notice any change in the anti-aliasing though since, well, I have to keep my graphics low enough that I've been looking at jagged edges for years. XD
I know they took out the toggle box, but you might be able to set it manually. According to wowpedia...
off:
/console ffxGlow 0

on:
/console ffxGlow 1

I know SSAO can also have some "glowy" effects.
Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Boven »

Xota wrote:
Nachtwulf wrote:There USED to be a way to turn off the screen glow but apparently it's been disabled for some unknown reason. I hate it too. I don't notice any change in the anti-aliasing though since, well, I have to keep my graphics low enough that I've been looking at jagged edges for years. XD
I know they took out the toggle box, but you might be able to set it manually. According to wowpedia...
off:
/console ffxGlow 0

on:
/console ffxGlow 1

I know SSAO can also have some "glowy" effects.
I haven't tried lately, but as of a few weeks ago, the console command still does not work on the beta server. There's no way to turn off the glow there unless it was reintroduced in the last patch or two.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Yeah, the console command has been disabled, and Bliz even admitted it was intentional in a forum post. I haven't heard any reasons why though, or how to disable it now if there is any way to do so.

Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Boven »

Oddly, that may be the thing that makes me stop playing WoW. Not that I'm all upset about the glow effect, but I do think that it's what causes my eyes to start hurting and bother me after about 45 minutes playing in beta. It's the only video setting that's set differently from the live client. Well, except for the antialiasing setting, but I don't think that'd cause eye strain.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Xota »

If /console is disabled, then this might not work either, but you can set (at least used to be able to set) Cvars using a config file before you start up the game.

open up this file in a text editor, like Wordpad:
World of Warcraft\WTF\Config.wtf

look for a line that says
SET ffxGlow "1"

Change the one to a zero, or if it's not there, just add the line
SET ffxGlow "0"

the double quotes are needed.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I just looked in the beta WTF file. There are no longer any 'ffx' components in it at all which is probably why the disable command doesn't work any longer. I also didn't see anything that would obviously correspond to the same thing.

Apparently the obnoxious screen glow thing is somehow 'baked in' at the moment. Which would be... unfortunate.

Edit: I will try just adding the line in.

Son of Edit: No dice. doesn't work at all.

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Xota »

hmmm... disappointing.
Masquerain
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Azuremyst

Unread post by Masquerain »

Did they change any animations in the most recent beta patch?

It seems like the female draenei have been tweaked again. They run similar to the old model now, with a lot more wiggle and their shoulders too far back when moving forward. I'm actually really disappointed because I was really happy with the one in previous builds, after running around for a bit. It seemed more natural aside from the bendyleg glitch.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Female gnomes look less happy. Other than that I didn't see any changes. Male draenei tentacles still look like the old ones stuck on, male worgen are still too pasty-white.

I REALLY hope they fix that before it goes live because I know a lot of dark-human worgen that are going to be really angry if they get arbitrarily whitewashed. And I'm one of them.