Unread post by Serendipity82 »

Well said Azu.
Vasken
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU)

Re: Give Hunter aimed pets a different coloured dragon crest

Unread post by Vasken »

As long as it's the pets specifically aimed for hunters! Such as the ones that drop the tear or the ones added in the latest patch. It'd be fantastic to let folk know that they don't drop anything worthwhile to validate the effort spent killing them. :lol:

Loque/Krush/Gondria/etc. definitely shouldn't be laballed as such since they drop loot, though!

Floof the Sambas!

Vasken - Troll Hunter - Argent Dawn EU

DeviantART || Skreel's Dragon Lair

Chimera
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

Yea it'd only apply to pets that are dropping the tear since its grey junk item

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Sasrei
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: US - Icecrown, Nesinwary

Unread post by Sasrei »

Hmm ok lets see. Druid would love new travel forms.. yes that would be nice, you can get the staff though thatll change you to the fire cat. Plus not many people use their travel forms really when they have mounts atleast the travel form. Swimming I agree the warlus is a little.. plump.

Lock that be neat, but said lock doesnt have to camp for said lock pet. Your lock pet doesnt spawn within 6-24 hours it just magically appears somehow, and you have half naked chick with a whip.. <<<<<<<

Mages your pet (I am sorry to say) but is secondary to your dps. A mage will pwn even if its pet is dead, doesnt have to worry about having to revive pet in order to survive as it like I said mages pwn.

I dont understand how druids got into this discussion about taming/killing pets as you are your own pet :lol: and I want to tame you. Especially the fire cat you. Locks and mages it would be neat for interesting and different looking pets but really when it comes down to it, those classes are more about the individual then the pet. If I am in bm spec and my pet dies, in pvp I am most likely screwed. If I am out doing quests like the dailies and what not and my pet dies life becomes a 100 times harder. A lock/mage will survive a beating even without a pet up. Thats why hunters depend on our pets more, its survivability. Yes we could tame a common pet, have one pet and thats it. But for most of us thats not what being a hunter is all about. Just stop and look at the posts here in pet discussions and what not, you dont see a mage/lock etc website solely dedicated to pets and taming them. And the excitement of finding the rare you really wanted, and or the sadness/anger when a rare is killed. Heck we have posts about people being so sad about accidently releasing their pet.

Thats what makes hunters different, frig we have a guild on many servers actually just based solely of finding and getting hunter pets. You can call it selfish all you want but in my view Id rather see a post of someone so happy that they got their pet, then someone looting the tear and going about their day. Sometimes pets dont click, it happens, should you feel bad about releasing something you thought may work but didnt click? No, its not killing it for a grey or to spite someone. Its just about a chance that it may click.

And to me a recoloring of a portrait to make it stand out more that they were implemented for hunters to tame isnt selfish. You do know how many people feel bad afterwords of killing a rare and seeing that tear right? So why not save grief for two people.

My view anyways ^.^

thank you Ashaine and Kurenio!!!!

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

Sasrei wrote:Hmm ok lets see. Druid would love new travel forms.. yes that would be nice, you can get the staff though thatll change you to the fire cat. Plus not many people use their travel forms really when they have mounts atleast the travel form. Swimming I agree the warlus is a little.. plump.
But the staff isn't druid only, remember? We have option to be fire cat, but that doesn't mean hunters can run and take it from us.
Sasrei wrote:Lock that be neat, but said lock doesnt have to camp for said lock pet. Your lock pet doesnt spawn within 6-24 hours it just magically appears somehow, and you have half naked chick with a whip.. <<<<<<<
I don't want a half naked chick with a whip. It doesn't impress me at all. If I could, I'd trade her, any day, for one of those hell hounds or demon corehounds. Or even just a different colored felguard (<3 Maxwell.)
Sasrei wrote:Mages your pet (I am sorry to say) but is secondary to your dps. A mage will pwn even if its pet is dead, doesnt have to worry about having to revive pet in order to survive as it like I said mages pwn.
MM or Surv hunters don't have to worry as much either, I'd like to point out. While SBs are BM only, those spiders aren't, yet they'd be lumped under the special rare tag.
Sasrei wrote:I dont understand how druids got into this discussion about taming/killing pets as you are your own pet :lol: and I want to tame you.
ACK! NO! D:
Sasrei wrote:Especially the fire cat you. Locks and mages it would be neat for interesting and different looking pets but really when it comes down to it, those classes are more about the individual then the pet. If I am in bm spec and my pet dies, in pvp I am most likely screwed. If I am out doing quests like the dailies and what not and my pet dies life becomes a 100 times harder. A lock/mage will survive a beating even without a pet up.
My demo lock would like to have a word with you. She relies quite heavily on Maxwell. And a Surv or MM, again, could probably function just fine without the pet DPS there.
Sasrei wrote:Thats why hunters depend on our pets more, its survivability. Yes we could tame a common pet, have one pet and thats it. But for most of us thats not what being a hunter is all about. Just stop and look at the posts here in pet discussions and what not, you dont see a mage/lock etc website solely dedicated to pets and taming them. And the excitement of finding the rare you really wanted, and or the sadness/anger when a rare is killed. Heck we have posts about people being so sad about accidently releasing their pet.
There's no website on taming and finding elementals/demons because we can't. I'm sure if we could, something would spring up.

And I get sad every time Maxwell dies or Mr. Splashy gets left behind. ):
Sasrei wrote:Thats what makes hunters different, frig we have a guild on many servers actually just based solely of finding and getting hunter pets. You can call it selfish all you want but in my view Id rather see a post of someone so happy that they got their pet, then someone looting the tear and going about their day. Sometimes pets dont click, it happens, should you feel bad about releasing something you thought may work but didnt click? No, its not killing it for a grey or to spite someone. Its just about a chance that it may click.

I understand this website is heavily pet related, but keep in mind, I do like to point out that sometimes, you're not going to find someone. And if you don't kill it, there's a HEAVY chance someone else would. Sure, a hunter could show up. But that's one class out of what...10? 11? It'd my view that if I can't find someone, I'm taking the grey. Because hey, free 25 gold!

Sasrei wrote:And to me a recoloring of a portrait to make it stand out more that they were implemented for hunters to tame isnt selfish. You do know how many people feel bad afterwords of killing a rare and seeing that tear right? So why not save grief for two people.

My view anyways ^.^
Eh. Still a few. A lot of people, (Including myself.) would kill it anyways.
Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: WrA

Unread post by Nubhorns »

Sasrei wrote:You do know how many people feel bad afterwords of killing a rare and seeing that tear right?
Like maybe three people, tops. Good intentions with the tears, poor execution at best. You killed a rare meant for hunters, here's 25g, don't do it again.

While I'm not against a colored dragon portrait, I don't think it's going to change anything at all from a realistic standpoint. That's pretty much where my opinion ends because Azu's mind is apparently linked with mine and she says everything I'd say.

|| deviantART || armory || magistream ||

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

Nubhorns wrote:
Sasrei wrote:You do know how many people feel bad afterwords of killing a rare and seeing that tear right?
Like maybe three people, tops. Good intentions with the tears, poor execution at best. You killed a rare meant for hunters, here's 25g, don't do it again.

While I'm not against a colored dragon portrait, I don't think it's going to change anything at all from a realistic standpoint. That's pretty much where my opinion ends because Azu's mind is apparently linked with mine and she says everything I'd say.
That's so creepy.

*tries to save her brain!*

OHGODSOMANYPONIES.
rubybeam

Unread post by rubybeam »

Im going to agree with azu.

I would also like to see death knights get a permanent named zombie traveling beside you as well as more choice in the species you choose. what if I dont like ghouls and would prefer a zombie? or one of those hanged things?
as for the super zombie thing what if I dont like that either?
same goes for other classes
I would like to see shaman have a more peramaent elemental pet (sorry mages but you'll have to share), I can actually see them bonf more with elemental then mages anyways
I would like to see a fire an arcane elemental for mages, warlocks need more of a variety
and it would be nice if these classes could name the pets.

hunters are spoiler with their pets, really
Awesome signature by the awesome pengupuff!
Sasrei
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Sasrei »

Quote time!
Azunara wrote:
But the staff isn't druid only, remember? We have option to be fire cat, but that doesn't mean hunters can run and take it from us.
Yes its both, that still doesnt mean its not cool that you can turn into a fire cat and I cant.
Azunara wrote: I don't want a half naked chick with a whip. It doesn't impress me at all. If I could, I'd trade her, any day, for one of those hell hounds or demon corehounds. Or even just a different colored felguard (<3 Maxwell.)
Agreed. Like I said I am not against locks getting a neat new guy. Or a hot.. BE half naked guy..
Azunara wrote:MM or Surv hunters don't have to worry as much either, I'd like to point out. While SBs are BM only, those spiders aren't, yet they'd be lumped under the special rare tag.
Yes but so would Madexx, terrorpene, sambas, the crab, and skarr. And yes we do have to worry about our pets. Our damage means absoultely nothing if the mob is on top of us cause our pet died. Locks/mages can still do full dps. We have to worry about hoping our disengage/trap/detterence etc is up and spending 10 seconds reviving our pet so that our pet can tank it. So we actually have a chance of surviving. No matter what spec a hunter is, close range we are useless. Our pet not only does dps but it tanks and keeps mobs out of essentially well id still call it dead zone. Our melee is nothing compared to our range attacks. Infact just write off our melee. This is why all classes just essentialy trap us and dance while we cant move an inch. Mages like to do this alot actually. So atleast my pet is some dps while I try to get the heck away from whatever is going for me.

Psst still taming you
Azunara wrote:My demo lock would like to have a word with you. She relies quite heavily on Maxwell. And a Surv or MM, again, could probably function just fine without the pet DPS there.
See above. No pet keeping mobs at range is a dead hunter.
Azunara wrote: There's no website on taming and finding elementals/demons because we can't. I'm sure if we could, something would spring up.
Half naked chick may make people think its a "different" kind of site.

Azunara wrote: I understand this website is heavily pet related, but keep in mind, I do like to point out that sometimes, you're not going to find someone. And if you don't kill it, there's a HEAVY chance someone else would. Sure, a hunter could show up. But that's one class out of what...10? 11? It'd my view that if I can't find someone, I'm taking the grey. Because hey, free 25 gold!
If you cant find someone sure go ahead and see if you can (kirix may think otherwise ^.^) but 25g.. thats what a daily nowadays? I was talking mostly about people who dont even try to find someone to tame it or kill it mid tame. Those are the people I dont get.. mostly those who kill it mid tame. And yes we are indeed only one class but whats 25g to one hunter having something they really enjoy.

Azunara wrote: Eh. Still a few. A lot of people, (Including myself.) would kill it anyways.
Thats your perrogative I guess. There are still people out there who dont know, and would feel bad about it. This would just give people more of a chance thats all. You want to try and kill it for kicks or the 25g grey theres nothing I can say or do to stop you. Its just pixels in the end, just my version has a happier ending..

You can call hunters spoiled but if a dk/shammy/mage/lock had a chance at a new unique skin pet for your class would you be happy if a hunter came and killed it while you were taming it or killing the mobs around it in order to kite? I am thinking no. *shrugs*

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

Okay, since quoting the quote quoting the quote goes beyond my knowledge of this forum business...Numerical order time!

1. True. Even if people suggested if a hunter had it, their kitty turns into a fire cat. Furthermore, didn't the Flintlock Chuck-Shot or one of them or something get turned into a hunter only weapon? I may be wrong, I thought I read that somewhere. There's your special hunter item that could've been used by other classes.

2. Ew. No, no, no. No half-naked people! I just want something with a lot of fire and teeth! D:

3. Hunters can also last a heck of a lot longer than a mage or lock could if they have mobs beating them, I'd like to point out.

4. NO TAMING ME. IT MAKES ME SAD. ;_;

5. See number 3. They can still take a lot more hits, and in raids/instances, tank is taking the pet's place anyways.

6. Well, yes. That is a possibility. But still. You get the idea.

7. Mmm, okay. I will give you that. People who kill a rare underneath someone (Assuming it is tagged/currently being tamed/in the process of taming or trying) is uncalled for. I will admit, if you fail multiple times, it would be decent for the person to step back and give the other hunter a try.

8. Nope. I wouldn't be. Doesn't mean it's not something I have to deal with. Like Nub pointed out, if a jerk is going to kill a pet, a tear and a tag will do squat. A special colored tag could trigger the, "OH. SHINIER TAG. KILL." reflex as well.
Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: WrA

Unread post by Nubhorns »

Sasrei wrote:You can call hunters spoiled but if a dk/shammy/mage/lock had a chance at a new unique skin pet for your class would you be happy if a hunter came and killed it while you were taming it or killing the mobs around it in order to kite? I am thinking no. *shrugs*

Well, yes, duh, no one likes having something taken away from them unfairly. Candy, babies, ring a bell? :P

The thing is, these pets - they're not even pets, they're mobs - these mobs offer two things: a challenging tame for a hunter, and a challenging kill for someone else. This is really deviating from the original topic because a green dragon portrait isn't going to do jack all if you're clearing mobs and someone comes up and starts punching your would-be tame. Unless it shoots lazers at the monitor or kills you the second you target the mob, it's about as useful as any other obscure, wordless notification.

Let's look at it this way: in the 'rare killer' section we have basically three types of people. People who kill rares knowingly to upset hunters. People who kill rares knowingly under different situations(no hunter available, self defense, etc.). And people who kill rares without knowing any better. Now lets take this different portrait idea and put it into play: people who kill rares for shits and giggles are going to keep killing rares for shits and giggles. People who kill in self-defense and in the absence of a hunter are going to keep doing so. People who don't know any better are going to see a strange colored icon and...well, probably kill the mob anyway. It's just a color. It doesn't say anything to anyone unless you know already that it means 'HOLY CRAP HUNTER PET'.

|| deviantART || armory || magistream ||

Jodmos

Unread post by Jodmos »

Flintlocke Woochucker, or whatever it's called, was changed to hunter only. What I've seen seems to suggest this wasn't to make it 'only' for hunters as a bonus for hunters, but to prevent rogues using it and getting very odd combat styles as it provides an agility buff which therefore increase melee dps for rogues.

In other words a buff intended for ranged being used for melee seems to be the reason for it being made hunter only so as to prevent gaming the system.

And as for demons, weren't they adding other gender versions, although I can't remember if it was slated for 4.2 (personally having a warlock as well I think having to go out and tame demons would have been fun anyway - not as many models, as beasts, but different colours and there are others like the shiva, the corehound looking demon, wrathguards, or how about a pit fiend which aren't used for pets - probably more that I can't remember of the top of my head)
Last edited by Jodmos on Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Well, if people who actually understand the concept of tameable unique rares are still willing to selfishly kill them for only 25g, then I guess just changing the color of the dragon icon isn't going to make any difference. Since we apparently have to appeal to people's pocketbooks, let's have them drop absolutely nothing, and have a special ability to damage the player's armor 95%.
Kurenio
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Ner'zhul

Unread post by Kurenio »

GormanGhaste wrote:Well, if people who actually understand the concept of tameable unique rares are still willing to selfishly kill them for only 25g, then I guess just changing the color of the dragon icon isn't going to make any difference. Since we apparently have to appeal to people's pocketbooks, let's have them drop absolutely nothing, and have a special ability to damage the player's armor 95%.
I totally support this idea

My Characters
Signatures thanks to the amazing Sookie,Kuraine,
Rongar, Serenith and Me!
"Follow my heart, Follow my head, I'll follow anything to get to her heart."
12 hunters and 10 other classes being leveled.

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

EDIT:

*frustrated sigh.*

This post was edited because I was too harsh in my wording and it was unneeded. I admit that now and have acted accordingly.
Last edited by Azunara on Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sasrei
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Sasrei »

*hugs* yah numbers!

1. Fire staff is neat yes! I only have 2 feral druids in my raid and then 4 hunters. Id personally would love to see the druids get them as I think it would be neat ^.^ And I read about that.. dont know what it does but I thought I read it only shoots little things.. *shrugs* and I thought it was about a hunter.. I have no clue where I read that

2. ok fine! something neat and firery.

3. Hunters can however, that hunter cant do pretty much no dps. Melee strikes do nothing, especially with stats sticks as our weapons. And we survive longer so that we can revive our pet or try to FD. Mail helps yes, 5 second detterence is nice, fd to but whats the point of fding underneath a mob. Mages and lock well frost mages have more cc and lock have alot of dots. A lock can die in pvp especially yes however his dots are most likely taking you with him. Also mages can get the most distance between the mob and them. Hunters only have disengage that sometimes doesnt send you far enough. Or off of things into worse things.. And even then they have a better chance just for the mere fact that they can go all out dps with mobs right on them while a hunter has no choice but to run and try to kite as best as they can.

4. Can I have a mini pet of you then?

5. Raid/instances yes unless our tank sucks or dies then my pet has to tank. And I have had my pet tank many mobs ^.^ And in pvp.. a mage will last so much longer then a hunter, everyone goes for the hunter, heck if theres no fc/healers I go for the hunter cause they are by far the easiest for me to kill. But the point is, our pet is meant to keep the mobs out at far range so we can do actual dps. You may be sad yes if your pet dies, but if my pet dies and I have no way of running away I am screwed. No if ands or buts about it. Take TB for instance running through mobs and get stunned off the mount. Pet glitch = auto pet death and have few choices, 1 trap if theres more then one mob that makes it more interesting, 2 try to disengage (which basically is going backwards.. so try to find the right angle and hope not to get into any trouble), try to kite but hunters if you have no where to kite or are being constantly slowed.. you are dead if they hit melee range. There is no chance whatsoever that we could do the damage needed to kill the one mob on us. A mage or lock could kill the one mob on them.

6. lol

7. Yes I agree if you fail in multiple attempts for sure give someone else a try. Thats common courtesy.

8. If a jerk is going to kill it, like I said hes going to do it. And most times its for a rise out of that hunter who just spent 15 mins trying to tame it. NOTHING except maybe a debuff would prevent a person from doing it. But like I said, not everyone out there are jerks and yes they may accidently kill it that one time thinking it dropped something good. but what if they knew it didnt drop anything.. awesome people are just going to leave it alone or find a hunter. These rares dont really attack you unless you are on them, atleast the spiders and skarr dont. So its not self defense.

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

Edited above post.

1. *nods.* As for the Chuck-Shot, no idea. I've been sort of paying attention to all this but not really. XD

2. Whoot!

3. Mm. True. I can see your point in where hunter pets are important, I will say that a demo lock does rely on their pet pretty heavily as well. In the end, I wouldn't even mind just being able to name my demons. Seriously, Blizz. All I ask, at this point. Let me name them. Summon them by their real name and give them a nickname.

4. I dunno. Maybe. Talk to Noah. It can be called Azuna'ra.

5. In PvP, a pet won't really do much to stop a determined player. Or maybe I just suck at PvP. As for your situation, pop Deterrence, drop your traps, and run for it. FD when needed. See? You made it! :D

8. Adding to Gorman's post in a nicer way:

I don't like the constant assumption that anyone who kills a rare is selfish. Yes, they were intended for hunters. But until they have that little flash, it's game for anyone. Only thing that separates that is the ethics of the player, whether they let it be or ruin someone's day. And I'm tired of being lumped with the jerks of the world because I kill rares when they aren't homed.
Sasrei
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Sasrei »

1. same.. staring at the rares.. and how they have pwned me countless times :lol: too busy to read up on a gun.

2. ^.^

3. Yep as do all pet classes do, its just if mine does die I have less chance to survive those mobs. But I think that would be a really neat idea to be able to name them for sure.

4. haha

5. In pvp, my pet is probably the most important aspect I have. I play in bm spec. Alot of the times I am out of range but my pet can keep up pretty nicely so does some sick dps. Its in peoples faces, it has a high tendency to tick people off and they stop shooting at our FC or healers and attack the pet. That extra seconds help. And yes my devilsaur can do 30k crits, and has soloed many flag carriers and healers all by himself. Pop detterence.. 5 seconds to run, traps get resisted, or just dodged which happens alot. Trap dancing I call it. Unless I have engineering any speed boost would be a bad idea. Noone falls for FD or camo. And yes people dont attack my pet but come to dance on top of me. At this point my only source of any dps is my pet.

8. what happened to 6 and 7? :lol:

If you cant find a home it is fair game. Personally I just leave it alone especially with how hard these guys can hit. Not worth the repair bills. Kirix has so far killed more people then the raid boss I think. Solix has killed alot. Skitterflame tries.. Anthriss has killed. Skarr I am sure will kill and I know Karken will as well. The challenge is nice but those 4 hardcore achievement mobs were placed in mind for you. Is 25g worth over 100g+ in repair bills? My assumption of anyone who kills a rare when a hunter is right there he is a jerk. If you try to rehome id like to say thank you for atleast putting that effort out there!

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

1. Ha, I'm more lurking in the RP forum. XD

2. I'm thinking....claws! And fire! And fangs! And. And. And...ah...demon dragons! Yes!

3. Indeed. I just call Maxwell that, but I would love it if everyone could know who he was.

4. It'd have to be hard to get, obviously. But I'd get one, automatically, for free, because it's a mini-me after all. >>;

5. Ah, okay. So that's just me not knowing the full capabilities and knowing what to do in PvP. My problem on my end, then.

6 and 7 were too weak. I destroyed them.

8. *nods.* Yeah. I understand that, can acknowledge you leave them be, and leave it at that. That's your choice, mine is to kill them. I still wouldn't ever purposefully steal from a hunter to kill or kill one when a hunter is hovering close without asking, of course. I'm not -that- heartless. And true, they're tough little buggers. The general concept does stand though. Unless it's being tamed and no one has staked a claim after asking, I'm going to kill it.
WildcatTM
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by WildcatTM »

No. I love hunters and all. But this is World of WarCraft, not World of Hunter. I understand where the point is coming from, but its catering far too much to hunters.