New looting system

Read-only since Patch 4.3 is now live.
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Re: New looting system

Unread post by Gimlion »

I think they should seriously consider making this tool look at spec instead of what you're queued as. I think it would make things all-around simpler.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Gimlion wrote:I think they should seriously consider making this tool look at spec instead of what you're queued as. I think it would make things all-around simpler.
Definitely agreed.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

Jessibelle wrote:
Worba wrote:It's not ambiguous when you have some pieces that drop with stats like +dodge (and reforging is irrelevant to loot priority), which is the case with plate but not leather*, e.g. when the pool of possibilities includes representatives of both stat types, then it becomes feasible to say X is a tank item and Y is a DPS item, whereas in the case of bears there are no really distinctive armor stats to create that sort of logical divide.

The bigger question as I see it is, since they've said DPS will have it's own flagging, how is that even going to be implemented - e.g. by going to such creative lengths to make bears work with DPS stats (so that a feral druid can be tank or DPS without the bother of even needing to switch armor, I guess), are all AGI/STA items going to remain "unflagged" so that those who could make best use of them still get the best shot at them, or what.

*From what I've seen - any high lvl bears feel free to correct me - remember though I said armor not things like amulets, rings, cloaks, etc.
Yeah we dont usually have to change armor HOWEVER we do need to change gems and enchants on the armor.
/nod

Pretty much what I thought - and like reforging, gems and chants obviously are about what you add on to the gear after it's looted and not part of the loot priority itself.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Yeah. Exactly. It's the after that makes it different.

LisaaraPokefarm

Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Gimlion wrote:I think they should seriously consider making this tool look at spec instead of what you're queued as. I think it would make things all-around simpler.
The only reservation I have about this is that it would encourage tanks to queue as DPS so they get the tank loot without having to tank for it.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Worba wrote:
The only reservation I have about this is that it would encourage tanks to queue as DPS so they get the tank loot without having to tank for it.
Thats what people do now. O_o;

LisaaraPokefarm

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Worba wrote:It's not ambiguous when you have some pieces that drop with stats like +dodge (and reforging is irrelevant to loot priority), which is the case with plate but not leather*, e.g. when the pool of possibilities includes representatives of both stat types, then it becomes feasible to say X is a tank item and Y is a DPS item, whereas in the case of bears there are no really distinctive armor stats to create that sort of logical divide.

The bigger question as I see it is, since they've said DPS will have it's own flagging, how is that even going to be implemented - e.g. by going to such creative lengths to make bears work with DPS stats (so that a feral druid can be tank or DPS without the bother of even needing to switch armor, I guess), are all AGI/STA items going to remain "unflagged" so that those who could make best use of them still get the best shot at them, or what.

*From what I've seen - any high lvl bears feel free to correct me - remember though I said armor not things like amulets, rings, cloaks, etc.
Wasn't talking about the pieces that do drop with specific stats. You're right; some of those still exist and they should be flagged properly. But there aren't as many as there used to be, so there are more middle of the road pieces that can go either way, and those are the problem pieces.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Interesting. I haven't done the high end raids yet, but at least in the pugs and hpugs the distribution still seems even-ish a la wotlk... that tapers off in ZA/ZG and the 4.3 stuff then?
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Firelands definitely is like that. There are very few pieces with spirit, and I haven't seen many tank-specific pieces either. It would make sense for this trend to continue, since the odds of a completely useless piece dropping go down, but more people will be rolling on the pieces that do.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Maybe, although I don't see how that trend can coexist with the new loot priority system?
Yaone
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Lightbringer

Unread post by Yaone »

@Kalliope I totally see where you are coming from and wholeheartedly agree. As a raiding resto druid it miffed me to no end to see that there was absolutely no belts with spirit. And even some of the necks that are more for dps are being used by healers.

Give me spirit to keep the lines clear.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

yeah. I miss when bears used Strength over agility cause it gave a line between bears and cats. :(

LisaaraPokefarm

Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Exactly. It will be interesting to see how they make bears work in the new looting system without distinctive tank stats.
Mychelle
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kirin Tor

Unread post by Mychelle »

I cant say I am very worried about the new looting system as far as *ME* goes....but I do know of a few Druids who would abuse the heck out of this system if something isnt worked out a little more clearly. (Example: Rolling on *anything* they can possibly wear for all three specs. >.>;;) Thats the only thing that really makes me cringe to think about, heh.
Comett
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by Comett »

Well, if this system stays as it is, personally I'd feel more inclined to enter a raid as feral dps on my druid, rather than tanking... Less stress, less concern about loot issues, and equal or more priority. That's one of my pet peeves to be honest. It's not so bad now (in FL) but previously it really bothered me that if you were a bear tanking with a pally co-tank, that pally would gear up faster than you purely because every plate drop was for him, whereas the bear had to roll against half the dps in the raid for his share of the items.

But anyway I'm sure Blizz will work things out; if not, I'll raid as a cat to gear up my bear set!

Mychelle
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kirin Tor

Unread post by Mychelle »

Thats a brilliant idea Comett....Im totally tempted to go with that, heh.
Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Yeah - it's premature to say the new system is broken / can't work / etc - I'm not writing it off and am still supportive of the largescale goal behind it. As you say we'll just have to sit tight and see how this develops.
pengupuff
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall

Unread post by pengupuff »

If I had a dollar for every tanking piece I've lost to a DPS, I would be one rich motherfucker.

I think this system sounds fantastic, once they work out the kinks.

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music." - Angela Monet

Check out my stable!