WoW MOP: Tyrande = (Major Spoilers)

For discussion of the upcoming 5.1 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: WoW MOP: Tyrande = (Major Spoilers)

Unread post by Wain »

Kalliope wrote:
Wain wrote:But after being subjected to Pandaren that sound like hillbillies, everything else sounds good in comparison ;)
THANK YOU. That's been bugging the crap out of me because it's inappropriate. It should be the eastern equivalent.
Don't get me wrong, I like Fish and some of the other characters who fall under that flag, but I can't wrap my brain around how weird the combination sounds.
This is exactly how I feel. I found Mudmug and the other "yokel" type farmers to be very endearing, but... I found the accent to be incredibly grating in a world where just about every other inhabitant speaks with an Asian-style accent. It felt like whoever was directing the voice acting at that point just couldn't see beyond the North American stereotype when coming up with a voice.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Wain wrote:
Kalliope wrote:
Wain wrote:But after being subjected to Pandaren that sound like hillbillies, everything else sounds good in comparison ;)
THANK YOU. That's been bugging the crap out of me because it's inappropriate. It should be the eastern equivalent.
Don't get me wrong, I like Fish and some of the other characters who fall under that flag, but I can't wrap my brain around how weird the combination sounds.
This is exactly how I feel. I found Mudmug and the other "yokel" type farmers to be very endearing, but... I found the accent to be incredibly grating in a world where just about every other inhabitant speaks with an Asian-style accent. It felt like whoever was directing the voice acting at that point just couldn't see beyond the North American stereotype when coming up with a voice.
Yes, exactly! It's like development went as far as "okay, these guys are from a rural area and speak differently than the other pandaren; how do we convey that quickly and unmistakably?" without stopping to think that "hey, maybe this ruins the ambiance we've been establishing in every other aspect of the expansion."

Maybe there wasn't an easy way to make the distinction grammatically without offending someone; I don't know. This final "solution" is just terribly jarring.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Wain wrote:
Kalliope wrote:
Or they did not know other countries had their own version of the "yokel".
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

cowmuflage wrote:Or they did not know other countries had their own version of the "yokel".
Yeah, choice, eh bro? :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

I admit I like Mudmug, but that's because I'm a bit redneck (despite my best efforts) and like the Larry the Cable Guy reference. >.>
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Wain wrote:
cowmuflage wrote:Or they did not know other countries had their own version of the "yokel".
Yeah, choice, eh bro? :)
Yah sweet as bro!
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

I imagine it would've been harder to show the eastern 'yokel' because americans aren't familiar with it. The redneckish thing is something most everyone is familiar with. Mudmug was rather endearing to me and it didn't really grate on me. I've actually run into a guy that was asian and talked very similar to him, much to my surprise.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Kalliope

Junrei wrote:I imagine it would've been harder to show the eastern 'yokel' because americans aren't familiar with it.
And that is exactly why it's even more offensive. This would have been a great opportunity to teach Americans about other cultures while remaining authentic to the expansion's theme in the process.

YouTube Edition

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Kalliope wrote:
Junrei wrote:I imagine it would've been harder to show the eastern 'yokel' because americans aren't familiar with it.
And that is exactly why it's even more offensive. This would have been a great opportunity to teach Americans about other cultures while remaining authentic to the expansion's theme in the process.
There is always something to learn about other cultures and that would of been a good time to teach people about it and not fall on the easy route.

Coming from the point of view of a non yank it's quite sad and annoying when ever I see something set in another country (or based in something that is like one) and they all have american accents or use american terms. XD
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

I'm not sure how it would teach anything if they don't know it or recognize the reference. It's like pointing out a He-Man reference(aka the green cats) to someone whos never seen/heard of He-Man before. They wouldn't get it. They'd likely just shrug it off.

LisaaraPokefarm

Kalliope

Junrei wrote:I'm not sure how it would teach anything if they don't know it or recognize the reference. It's like pointing out a He-Man reference(aka the green cats) to someone whos never seen/heard of He-Man before. They wouldn't get it. They'd likely just shrug it off.
Not everyone shrugs such tidbits off. Some people would hit up Google or Wikipedia and start learning about the reference they didn't get.

YouTube Edition

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

That would be a very small handful. Majority would likely shrug it off or not even notice. I'm just sayin it's likely why Blizz went with something that would get more lulz than a shrug off.

LisaaraPokefarm

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Junrei wrote:That would be a very small handful. Majority would likely shrug it off or not even notice. I'm just sayin it's likely why Blizz went with something that would get more lulz than a shrug off.
More people in america you mean. Jack all people here find that stuff funny XD it's more "ugh this again' :lol:

Humour can be hard to cross countries. A lot of people don't get that but it's true.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

cowmuflage wrote:
Junrei wrote:That would be a very small handful. Majority would likely shrug it off or not even notice. I'm just sayin it's likely why Blizz went with something that would get more lulz than a shrug off.
More people in america you mean. Jack all people here find that stuff funny XD it's more "ugh this again' :lol:

Humour can be hard to cross countries. A lot of people don't get that but it's true.
Yeah mostly. XD It's hard to please everyone.

LisaaraPokefarm

Mindsprocket
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Mindsprocket »

I can see why people would be put off by that accent in this setting, but I really like it and don't mind it at all. It's not like the Pandaren are a realistic representation of any real Asian culture and there are plenty of references to Western culture so I think it works quite well.

And to be fair, I don't really see how they could've conveyed an authentic "yokel-style" Asian accent in English. Local accents just don't translate into other languages. For example, if you tried to use a yokel accent in German you'd just end up with an American accent (sorry, but it's true ;) ). Likewise, when Germans speak English you usually can't really tell the difference between a Bavarian or Saxon accent. It's also not really possible to find an exact equivalent of an accent in another language. Bavaria is in the south of Germany and we have the biggest agricultural sector of all German states, but that doesn't mean Bavarian is a perfect cultural equivalent of a yokel accent.

My point is, yes, Blizz could've given those Pandaren a different "Asian-style" accent to show that their culture is different from other Pandaren. But there is no way that this accent could've been a fair representation of any kind of real Chinese farmers' accent. Accents just don't work that way.

Lok'tar ogar!

Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

Very good point, that.
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Mindsprocket wrote:I can see why people would be put off by that accent in this setting, but I really like it and don't mind it at all. It's not like the Pandaren are a realistic representation of any real Asian culture and there are plenty of references to Western culture so I think it works quite well.

And to be fair, I don't really see how they could've conveyed an authentic "yokel-style" Asian accent in English. Local accents just don't translate into other languages. For example, if you tried to use a yokel accent in German you'd just end up with an American accent (sorry, but it's true ;) ). Likewise, when Germans speak English you usually can't really tell the difference between a Bavarian or Saxon accent. It's also not really possible to find an exact equivalent of an accent in another language. Bavaria is in the south of Germany and we have the biggest agricultural sector of all German states, but that doesn't mean Bavarian is a perfect cultural equivalent of a yokel accent.

My point is, yes, Blizz could've given those Pandaren a different "Asian-style" accent to show that their culture is different from other Pandaren. But there is no way that this accent could've been a fair representation of any kind of real Chinese farmers' accent. Accents just don't work that way.
They could of at least tried. I mean it could not be as bad as the fake english worgen ones :lol: I mean those went from "oh god this is so bad" to "So bad it's shameful" to "so bad it's funny" XD
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Mindsprocket wrote:I can see why people would be put off by that accent in this setting, but I really like it and don't mind it at all. It's not like the Pandaren are a realistic representation of any real Asian culture and there are plenty of references to Western culture so I think it works quite well.

Very well said (and learned somethin new!). I also agree completely.

LisaaraPokefarm

Kalliope

Mindsprocket wrote:And to be fair, I don't really see how they could've conveyed an authentic "yokel-style" Asian accent in English. Local accents just don't translate into other languages.
*nod* This is probably why the attempt wasn't even made, but I'm with Cowmu; trying would have been better than not. :)

YouTube Edition

Mindsprocket
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Mindsprocket »

Kalliope wrote:
Mindsprocket wrote:And to be fair, I don't really see how they could've conveyed an authentic "yokel-style" Asian accent in English. Local accents just don't translate into other languages.
*nod* This is probably why the attempt wasn't even made, but I'm with Cowmu; trying would have been better than not. :)
Well, for all we know they did try, just not publicly. They may have done some testing and found it didn't work. After the complaints about the Worgen's faux English accents they may not want to go down that route again. ;)

Lok'tar ogar!