Good bye Volley, It was nice knowing you... : (

Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Anvilmar

Re: Good bye Volley, It was nice knowing you... : (

Unread post by Adam-Savage »

Kalliope wrote:
Twila wrote:BAH It's bad enough my poor rogue gets laughed and kicked out of randoms cause he has yet to hit 80 to get his own LOL aoe, now hunters are losing their only form of aoe? what? Must we rely on traps now for such?
I'm not worried about PvE; we'll have explosive traps + trap launcher for that.
They can avoid the traps sometimes. The volley aoe covers a larger area and it's good for flushing out rogue that you know is close and hiding.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

AdamSavage wrote:
Kalliope wrote:
Twila wrote:BAH It's bad enough my poor rogue gets laughed and kicked out of randoms cause he has yet to hit 80 to get his own LOL aoe, now hunters are losing their only form of aoe? what? Must we rely on traps now for such?
They can avoid the traps sometimes. The volley aoe covers a larger area and it's good for flushing out rogue that you know is close and hiding.
Rogues can see our traps. If Blizzard thinks trap launcher is going to work on rogues, they've got another thing coming, especially with the cooldown on the launcher.

Not sure what your point is, Adam; you've just agreed with me, not disagreed.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

Rogues can turn invisible. That feels like magic. I vote Rogues can no longer stealth.
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Kalliope

Kayb wrote:Rogues can turn invisible. That feels like magic. I vote Rogues can no longer stealth.
We could get back to how Fan of Knives feels like magic. Rogues must be clown cars or something, with all the knives they must have to carry on them.

YouTube Edition

Quin
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (US )

Unread post by Quin »

Kalliope wrote:
Trap launcher? :lol:

I have to admit, I find it silly that they think Volley is too "magical" but us tying a bag/box of snakes to an arrow and shooting them at people is perfectly reasonable.
Quiniel Suncrier

Mini-Pet Collection - Mount Collection - Tabard Collection

Many thanks to Ket Shi for the lovely signature and Moonlost for the wonderful avatar!
Congafury
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Tarren Mill

Unread post by Congafury »

Panic!!! at least we have trap launcher...
Don't panic!
Palladiamorsdeus
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Scarlet Monastary, Sentinels

Unread post by Palladiamorsdeus »

"Only class with a minimal range and now without volley only class without an aoe /shakes head
You realize "only class" claims are viewed as a success by the developers. The classes are too similar as it is. (Source)"

This? Makes me angry. "We think it's a success that hunter's have a weakness that no other class has!" I really don't understand how it's a success when it ends up almost completely altering a gameplay style ((From PvE to PvP is a HUGE difference for hunters, more so then any other class in my experience)) and there are even certain PvE area's where it leaves the hunter in a horrible position ((Any "hug the boss!" moments, since that general puts you inside that minimum range)) But that's okay! Because hey! It's unique to hunters, and that's a good thing! *Rolls his eyes*

I found this change to be annoying, and stupid. Volley may not have been hitting as hard as it used to, but it was still very useful. Multi-shot will need some fairly large changes to make up for this. No three target limit for one, and a lower cool down for another. Also keep in mind that explosive shot suffered from the AoE nerf like just about everything else did.

Thanks go to Saturo for the signature.
Kalliope

Quin wrote:I have to admit, I find it silly that they think Volley is too "magical" but us tying a bag/box of snakes to an arrow and shooting them at people is perfectly reasonable.
Ooh ooh, someone post that in the thread the blue posted in! :lol:

And I totally agree, Palla; no other class MUST be at range to begin with. Sigh.

YouTube Edition

winny
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Runetotem

Unread post by winny »

this is just stupid, I used volley always when in group.
Now I only can damage 3 instead of more...:/ dont like this at all.
I hope we get a pet in return that can do some nice aoe fire damage or something.
Dewclaw
Realm: Llane

Unread post by Dewclaw »

But...but...I use volley all the time.:(
Mockingbird
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Azjol-Nerub (EU)

Unread post by Mockingbird »

I don't know if we'll even miss it in Cata dungeons.

I'm definitely interested to see what (if anything) they do with multishot. Perhaps making it not select CC'd targets? Or would that be too good... hmmm.
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Last edited by Teigan on Wed May 23, 2012 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
RakuRaku
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by RakuRaku »

*Cheers*

Honestly, I don't see it as a bad thing at all.

Back in Vanilla/BC, Volley had a 30 cd. You'd only use it for special fights.
In Wotlk for trash pulls, all we did was macro it to mousewheel and spam it. That made me feel more like a destro lock and not a hunter.

Yes, the spell had -a lot- of uses, and will be missed, but maybe they'll be changing multishot to compensate?
Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

Kalliope's point about Volley being our Rogue counter to prevent their openers in PvP is extremely valid and I'd very much like to see a response from Blizzard on this point. Trap Launcher is pointless for obvious reasons, so what are we to do against Rogues? Nothing, just accept being stunlocked and killed? Volley is our only defense against that happening. Multi Shot is obviously useless since we can't target the stealthed Rogue, Flare is only useful against careless Rogues. Camouflage may come into play here depending on how this ability actually works, since no-one knows given 85 is not reachable in beta yet.

While the actual removal of Volley doesn't bother me a whole lot, the reason for it's removal really irritates me. This is another case of Blizzard punishing the player for the designs of the developer. They made Volley, we used it and used it well, now they decide they don't like it so it gets taken away entirely, thus hampering us in certain situations. But it's easier to just take something away than redesign the ability or content.

A poster on the WHU blog suggested a sort of ricochet ability, which I interpreted as functioning the same as Shaman Chain Lightning, which I think would be very neat. Use that and MultiShot for AoE, it's not a simple one button press yet gives us AoE capacity while still behaving like Hunters.
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

Maybe if they took the Global CD off multi-shot that would make up for it. Multi shot cannot make up for AOE whatsoever because of that long CD

bah
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
FuzzyDolly
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Velen, Nessingwary

Unread post by FuzzyDolly »

No, not volley! I love volley. I use it all the time. I have recount to prove it. lol Do you know how long it's going to take to clear whelps out of that room in that dungeon (I forget the name, MC maybe?) And whomever is posting in the aforementioned blue thread, include this link please. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/volley And please tell them to make note of definition 1a.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Cerah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Alterac Mtns, Maelstrom, Nesingwary, Silver Hand

Unread post by Cerah »

No. Just no.

I don't even use traps! Volley is my one and only real aoe (multi-shot's cooldown makes it the special occasion move), and now they're going to get rid of it?! It's bad enough that I'm usually met with "/groan, another huntard" in random dungeons -- I'm f****** never going to see any Wrath raids now!

We need to make a petition or something on the official forums. We've suffered through nerf after nerf after nerf before, but this one takes the cake.

Visit Pop Seagull Publishing
Original Canadian Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror
Sleep is Temporary. Reading is Forever!

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Anansi wrote:A poster on the WHU blog suggested a sort of ricochet ability, which I interpreted as functioning the same as Shaman Chain Lightning, which I think would be very neat. Use that and MultiShot for AoE, it's not a simple one button press yet gives us AoE capacity while still behaving like Hunters.
Ooh, I really like that idea.

As for the Volley removal, I'm personally not too agitated by it with the addition of trap launcher, though I don't PvP and I can definitely see how frustrating that would be in those situations.
Darknez

Realm: Bloodhoof - EU, Hellscream - EU

Unread post by Darknez »

Hmm, and I was enjoying throwing an explosive trap into a group and volley-ing them at the same time!
R.I.P Volley - You did well.

Maybe Multi-shot will change something similar to cone of cold? All targets directly ahead of you for so many feet.
Palladiamorsdeus
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Scarlet Monastary, Sentinels

Unread post by Palladiamorsdeus »

If they'd changed it, that'd have been one thing. But they didn't change it, they didn't nerf it, they flat out removed it. It's just annoying that instead of trying to make things work, their response in Cata so far has been to flat out remove things.

Thanks go to Saturo for the signature.