Sarayana
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Re: Phishing Emails coming because of Petopia Account signup

Unread post by Sarayana »

AdamSavage wrote:
Sarayana wrote:
Chrizesu wrote:I get most of my phising emails from mmochampion.
I heard this is a problem with that site. One reason I don't even bother registering there.
Funny thing is I linked this thread to Boubouille and he never denied or confirmed this was a problem.
To be fair, it isn't just an issue of site security. The more popular a particular forum is, the more targeted it will be. Hackers will want the largest audience for their efforts, you know.

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Naiaara
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Staghelm

Unread post by Naiaara »

I had the same problem with attempted phishing. I changed the email for my account, even though I have an authenticator. I'm just paranoid like that.

Chrizesu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Sisters of Elune (US RP)

Unread post by Chrizesu »

Naiaara wrote:I had the same problem with attempted phishing. I changed the email for my account, even though I have an authenticator. I'm just paranoid like that.
Yeah, just because you get a bunch of phishing messages doesn't mean you'll get hacked. It just means you'll have to be smarter with opening messages.

I don't follow links in emails. I always go the long route.

Mains: [Burninrain|Zirconium|Ivoress|Nantosuelta|Sunrain]
Alts: [Emuishéré|Cynderlilly|Runicated|Marcell]

Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

I've never gotten one. Maybe try playing around with your spam filter in your email account?
Suzi
Realm: Elune US, Nesingwary US

Unread post by Suzi »

Didn't want to start a new thread about this or bother Mania by contacting her directly, but wanted to give a heads up that you *might* start getting phishing attempts if you're a member of her website, Warcraft Mounts. I don't believe for one second that it's her fault or that there's anything she can do to prevent or stop it (I don't actually know how these things get around but I don't blame her), but it's worth knowing the scams out there so you can delete and move on.

Anyway, as always, I recommend you go the long route with these emails and don't click on any links. I'm lucky that I know for sure they're not to my WoW email address (it went to warcraftmounts @ my domain name which I only used to sign up there and nowhere else) but if you use one email address for everything it's much easier to get caught out.

Tivoni of the Petopians on Nesingwary-US

Sarayana

Suzi wrote:I'm lucky that I know for sure they're not to my WoW email address (it went to warcraftmounts @ my domain name which I only used to sign up there and nowhere else) but if you use one email address for everything it's much easier to get caught out.
This is really the best advice for any of this - I never, never, ever use the email for my WoW account for anything else, especially for WoW related sites. I haven't ever gotten any phishing mails on the account I do use for WoW forums, but if I did I'd know right away it wasn't legit.

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

The situation has changed since I last posted on this thread, to my extreme chagrin. Please see the announcement I just posted: http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8589

In short, e-mail addresses from my sites have been scraped and you may be getting spam and phishing e-mails due to your account here (and at Warcraft Mounts) now.

I have no way to express how sad and angry this makes me. You have my permission to rant at me in this thread.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

How about we rant at scammers instead? I wish nothing more than to scrape their eyes out and feed them to 4chan. Little creeps.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

That's fine too. :)
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

<3 Mania! It was not your doing.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Sarayana

No offense Mania, but... I like Saturo's suggestion much better than yours. ;)

Fortunately, I think the folks on these boards tend to be smart enough to recognise a phishing mail.