Give Hunter aimed pets a different coloured dragon crest

Read-only since Patch 4.2 is now live.
Sel
Realm: Eonar - EU

Re: Give Hunter aimed pets a different coloured dragon crest

Unread post by Sel »

WildcatTM wrote:No. I love hunters and all. But this is World of WarCraft, not World of Hunter. I understand where the point is coming from, but its catering far too much to hunters.
Blizzard already catered to Hunters. We already have rares that are meant for us. Well yeah, anyone can attack and kill them, but they were specifically created with hunters in mind. This would only be a warning "Hey you uneducated Paladin, don't look at me like that, I drop no loot".

Edit: About other classes being jealous of our pets, this is what I think.

Lorewise, Hunters have a bond with their pet, they are supposed to chose it (or be chosen by it!). They trust each other. I don't think locks (lorewise) really care about their pets. That's why they're called "minions" and not "pets". They just summon whatever demon to their biddings, while they're busy inflicting pain upon everything that moves. Maybe renaming them could do, but Demons are not animals, they are "sentient" entities and already have their own names in their world. I view it as "I'll summon this demon and whatever comes out will serve me and obey to my orders forever".

About Mages.. they aren't even a pet class and I'm still wondering why they have that water elemental. I suppose they really needed another freeze..

And Shamans, well they have a very sacred relationship with the elements, they respectfully ask them to send an Elemental Guardian to help them get out of trouble. I don't think "Well yeah, about that Fire Guardian, would you mind sending the blue one this time?" would do it. Or "Hey Earth Guardian, what do you think about staying by my side permanently, while I order you to kill dangerous crocolisks in Tol Barad for my dailies. Oh yeah.. I know I don't really need help with them but it would be nice, wouldn't it?"

Of course this is all lorewise. I'm sure players would like to chose their minions and guardians but it doesn't really make sense, and I think it's nice that they said they were going to add opposite gender minions for locks.

Gameplay-wise, Hunter pets are a vital part of the class, they can bring all sorts of buffs to the raid (literally), making the class very versatile. This is the reason why they won't give permanent pets to everyone, because other classes are fine on their own.

The vanity part of the "Tame Game" is a minigame that both Hunters and Blizzard like to play. They enjoy making something just for fun, that has no serious purpose. It's a nice change from all the threads about PvP balance, PvE DPS, Spreadsheets, Bugs, Complaints, and I could go on forever.

Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

Sel wrote:About Mages.. they aren't even a pet class and I'm still wondering why they have that water elemental. I suppose they really needed another freeze..
This quest was a joke about the uproar on how mages don't need water elementals:

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=12562/the- ... elementals
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

Alternatively to that, you're right. Hunters love their pets, lorewise. But you don't see hunter-like figures in WoW with 25 different pets, they just have their one. (See that lady in Dire Maul, or Rexxar, or Tyrande, who sort of doesn't count, or the hunter trainers. If they have a pet, it's one, two at most. Not 25 milling about. ) So the whole mass amount of pets doesn't really fit with the lore either.

And besides, demons come in lots of different colors and shapes. I think its fair to assume not every lock would summon the generic demon, so variety can't hurt at all.

Mages? Familiars. Every good mage needs one. See Khadgar I think, way out in Shattrath. His first quest summons a familiar for you.

Shamans? Again. Multiple different representations of the elementals, not every one would look the same.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

For some reason, this reminds me of the hunter in SSC who had a lurker pet as well as a sporebat. ;) There we have a hunter with two pets, one of which was an elemental. :D

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

rubybeam

Unread post by rubybeam »

I still think that unholy death knights should get more a variety, before you complain unholy is more based on undead, I also think that the zombies should have a perament name
Awesome signature by the awesome pengupuff!
Sel

Unread post by Sel »

Azunara wrote:Alternatively to that, you're right. Hunters love their pets, lorewise. But you don't see hunter-like figures in WoW with 25 different pets, they just have their one. (See that lady in Dire Maul, or Rexxar, or Tyrande, who sort of doesn't count, or the hunter trainers. If they have a pet, it's one, two at most. Not 25 milling about. ) So the whole mass amount of pets doesn't really fit with the lore either.

And besides, demons come in lots of different colors and shapes. I think its fair to assume not every lock would summon the generic demon, so variety can't hurt at all.

Mages? Familiars. Every good mage needs one. See Khadgar I think, way out in Shattrath. His first quest summons a familiar for you.

Shamans? Again. Multiple different representations of the elementals, not every one would look the same.
You're right about hunter pets, but the ability to tame 25 pets was a decision made for gameplay's sake. They had to give something to Hunters for the homogenization of buffs across classes, and remember we can bring only 1 buff at a time from our pets. But can you say Mages (meh, frost mages..) or Shaman would actually benefit from a permanent pet? What use would it have other than cosmetic value? Would it contribute to their dps significantly? Would it bring buffs? In that case they'd need to remove them from the player himself and give it to the pet, or they'd be too powerful. But would this be beneficial?

In my opinion it's not a good idea, since people are already complaining that all classes feel the same to play, and this would only make them feel even more similar.

True about Khadgar, but he summons it just to take you through a tour of the city, it's not like he hangs around with it every time.

As for locks, it could be that different kind of demons have a stronger willpower and locks aren't able to subdue them forever. Maybe that's why they can enslave them only for a limited amount of time. But I agree that variety is nice and I hope they'll implement female demons soon.

About Shamans, yeah maybe having the guardians randomly choose between the current model and one of the new cataclysm elementals would be nice. Or perhaps a glyph to change it permanently.

(Half-joke) How could Unholy DK's stop the zombie from rotting over time? How could they keep the same one forever? They could use some unholy magic but maybe they don't see the point at all since they can summon a fresh, new zombie whenever they feel like it.

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

But it's not like we're making them entirely the same. No other class can spec their pets, for example. And variety won't exactly hurt, since it's still just different skins, it's not like we can talent them. I mean, variety isn't exactly going to make any of the classes the same as the hunter class, and besides. Since when in WoW has Blizz actually stuck to and cared about their lore? :p
rubybeam

what keeps the actual death knights themselves from rotting? I do realize their rotting very slowly, but still rotting. some death knights do actually keep their own zombies, take lucrid for example, I know hes a skeleton but he might have been a ghoul once, all the flesh could of rotted off though
also why doesn't the scourge replace their ghoul shopkeepers all the time then Hmm?
Kurenio
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Ner'zhul

Unread post by Kurenio »

Introducing the new hero class Elementist..... they have elemental pets and deal melee magical damage

My Characters
Signatures thanks to the amazing Sookie,Kuraine,
Rongar, Serenith and Me!
"Follow my heart, Follow my head, I'll follow anything to get to her heart."
12 hunters and 10 other classes being leveled.

Sel

Unread post by Sel »

Azunara wrote:But it's not like we're making them entirely the same. No other class can spec their pets, for example. And variety won't exactly hurt, since it's still just different skins, it's not like we can talent them. I mean, variety isn't exactly going to make any of the classes the same as the hunter class, and besides. Since when in WoW has Blizz actually stuck to and cared about their lore? :p
If you give everyone a pet, can we still talk about variety among classes?

I'm thinking strictly about gameplay now. I think pets need to have a purpose, be it being fundamental to dps or bring buffs, or utilities like stuns, interrupts and so on. But Shaman and Mages can stun, interrupt and bring buffs without any pet at the moment. Would it be beneficial for the gameplay of those classes if they took away those skills and gave them to familiars and guardians instead? I'm not sure about this. That's where they'd start to feel like hunters and locks, as in being a "pet class".

You're right, Blizzard doesn't really care about lore anymore, (but they should, because WoW still has the RPG tag in it) but they care about gameplay and almost every decision they make is based on it.

But about cosmetic variety, well I completely agree there should be more! Some time ago I read a thread about suggestions for new idle animations that were based on talent specs. It would be incredibly cool, but I can admit it isn't worth the time they'd have to put in it, because after the first few days people will be bored again..

Look at the Barber Shop, perfect example. Literally everyone wanted it in game, and now barely anyone goes there anymore. Maybe that's why they think cosmetic additions like this aren't worth the effort if they'd take too long to implement. Maybe the majority of the players don't really care about things like this, and we know Blizzard prefers to cater to the majority of the player base.

So why is Blizzard playing the tame game with us? Because they probably enjoy making something just for fun (WoW is still a game, after all), and with hunter pets they have the opportunity to do just that, knowing that the time spent on creating those models ain't gonna be wasted, because the vast majority of hunter players care about their pet.
I can see how other classes are jealous of the attentions, but giving everyone a pet might not be the best way in my opinion. There are many ways to add cosmetic additions to everyone that don't involve pets.. but the question is: is it worth it in the end? Hunter pets are being used daily, because they're part of the class. But how many people really care about cosmetic changes after the first few days when they've finished toying with them?

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

I'd like to point our your ending bit there. You claim hunter pets fundamental. Again, see Demo Lock. I rely on my pet to tank. If he can't hold mobs, I go squish, run, or die. And that's a problem. If I'm the other two, well...it's just like the other type of lock. I've hear numerous MM and Surv folks wishing for a ranger class, replace MM without one, because the pet is typically useless to them.

In the case of the lock, I do think giving us one or two new demons would be nice. A lock will still use them, as much as a hunter would. And if you think I'm generalizing, it's safe to say you are as well. Not every hunter thinks like a Petopian. Some are just in it for the rares, they don't care about the pet.

You say adding cosmetic additions beyond pets...Name them, because I can't think of any. Gear customization, which would take way too much work for a patch, and I doubt WoW will thrive long enough for another XPAC.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

rubybeam wrote:I still think that unholy death knights should get more a variety, before you complain unholy is more based on undead, I also think that the zombies should have a perament name
*Sigh*
I've seen you complain about this on a few other places too, but you didn't seem to read my reply. Unholy death knights don't care about their pet at all. They only raise the ghoul because it's somewhat helpful to them. Their combat style focuses on plague, disease and such. The ghoul couldn't matter less. If it dies, they raise a new one. If they need to go somewhere else to fight, they sure as hell don't bother to bring the ghoul along with them. They just raise a new one. It's easier.

Anyway, I agree completely with Azu and anyone else who says that hunters are getting spoiled. They're pretty obviously Blizz' favourite class. Which class gets rare mobs focused entirely on them, for example. Which class has had most of the "freshing up" since ever?
Hunters have gotten far more than they need through WOTLK and Cata, and it's made them spoiled. Half of the posts I see in the pet discussion and such is WHINING ABOUT STUPID SHIT. Yet people seem completely unable to realize that they're being favored all the fucking time. It's annoying and stupid. Shame to you, spoiled hunters.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Sel

Unread post by Sel »

Not every hunter thinks and behaves like a Petopian (that could mean a multitude of things), but I can say the majority does care about the looks of their pet.

And I'm sure locks would really appreciate new models, and Blizzard developers already have plans on implementing female versions of them. Source. But can you see locks going around, enslaving demons and keeping them permanently? What kind of abilities would those demons have? They'd have to create "families" for demons too, and give every family a different set of skills.

As for different kinds of cosmetics additions.. I mentioned idle animations, those would be cool. Different casting animations (based on class) would be awesome too, but would require A LOT of work. As for easy ones.. To start, give warlocks green fire instead of red. Maybe change the shade of DK's eye colour based on their spec. Add more new, vanity minor glyphs to change the visuals of some spells. Like Shaman's guardians, so they uses the cataclysm elemental models. Or Travel/Aquatic form.

The thing is, it's easy to spoil hunters, because they don't have to put a lot of effort in doing so. We tame beasts, and beasts are everywhere. They pretty much have to make new mobs models every patch, so why not going ahead and making them tamable. It's a side effect, it's not like they purposefully spent a lot of time on creating an awesome model just for hunters to tame. Look at the new 10 pets. The models were already in the game files, or are new models that were going to be used in the new daily quests area. I'm absolutely not complaing and I'm grateful they gave us 10 (!) new pets, but don't fool yourself thinking they spent weeks on them just for hunters. The real treats were the new tame mechanics! On that point I can agree, it's obvious they listened to the hunter community. What I find disgusting is that after receiving 8 new pets, hunters COMPLAINED about the models, like they were entitled to something unique and different.. And the sad thing is that they listened and implemented the cat and crab. Anyway..
I used the new pets as an example, but almost every beast already had a model somewhere that's used for a quest/NPC/whatever (except maybe Northrend Spirit Beasts after Loque. Those were a nice treat that they gave us every content patch). From there, it's really easy to make another version of them that's tamable and rare.

Speaking about effort, did you forget how much time they spent making the new models JUST for Druid forms? Every race has a different model for Bear/Cat/Flight form, and a different recolor for Moonkin and ToL! Did you see the new staff that turns your cat form on fire? That's pretty awesome too and druids should be really grateful.

Yes, I can see how they're catering to hunters with the tear and the fact that these mobs are really hard to kill. But are we really complaining about an attempt to stop griefing? o.O They put a lot of regular rares for everyone too, it's not like they took away something from others to give it to hunters only.

Also, I don't think they gave us 25 slots to tame every pretty beast we'd like, but as I said to make hunters "Buff-Bots" and give them the possibility to get almost every buff your raid might need. Gameplay above cosmetics again.

rubybeam

Saturo wrote:
rubybeam wrote:I still think that unholy death knights should get more a variety, before you complain unholy is more based on undead, I also think that the zombies should have a perament name
*Sigh*
I've seen you complain about this on a few other places too, but you didn't seem to read my reply. Unholy death knights don't care about their pet at all. They only raise the ghoul because it's somewhat helpful to them. Their combat style focuses on plague, disease and such. The ghoul couldn't matter less. If it dies, they raise a new one. If they need to go somewhere else to fight, they sure as hell don't bother to bring the ghoul along with them. They just raise a new one. It's easier.

Anyway, I agree completely with Azu and anyone else who says that hunters are getting spoiled. They're pretty obviously Blizz' favourite class. Which class gets rare mobs focused entirely on them, for example. Which class has had most of the "freshing up" since ever?
Hunters have gotten far more than they need through WOTLK and Cata, and it's made them spoiled. Half of the posts I see in the pet discussion and such is WHINING ABOUT STUPID SHIT. Yet people seem completely unable to realize that they're being favored all the fucking time. It's annoying and stupid. Shame to you, spoiled hunters.
okay im sorry for not seeing your other reply. seesh, I cant keep track of every single friggen thread I reply in

also, its not just about hunters, I know this is petopia but stop the whining, people will bash at your opinions with their opinions, then it keeps to multiple people causing one of the reasons why this forum is so hostile, this is my opnion at least
we need to stop the whine whine give us THIS give us THAT just because noah lurks our forum doesn't you need to sign up to go and beg him for more stuff here which it what im getting suspicious about.
this is a forum where we have fun and enjoy each other
not a suggestion box for noah

im pretty sure people are going to try to flame me again after this post, but thats expected these are hardly forums anymore it seems...
Vasken
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU)

Unread post by Vasken »

Saturo's post was more than a tad undeed. People are just discussing whether this addition would be beneficial or not. No need to spew profanities in all directions and paint everyone with the same brush.

Floof the Sambas!

Vasken - Troll Hunter - Argent Dawn EU

DeviantART || Skreel's Dragon Lair

Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: WrA

Unread post by Nubhorns »

^
This is rapidly veering off topic regardless. Not to play backseat mod, but it's probably best to take that to PMs or a different thread. There's not much else to discuss about the dragon portrait, and I agree with most of what was said, but it's still derailing.

Also lol, I say 'STFU and be thankful' and get jumped on, Sat says this and gets agreed with. :[

|| deviantART || armory || magistream ||

Kalliope

:hug: Nub.

At the very least, the thread should probably be locked. Outbursts of that negative intensity aren't needed in either direction.

YouTube Edition

Vasken
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU)

Unread post by Vasken »

Was just a bit stunned how it went from friendly discussion... To that. :?

Even so... If I didn't play a hunter and saw a green portrait, I'd likely curiously attempt to kill it in an attempt to find out what it drops. It could confuse an innocent and unknowing passer-by! But... Even so, it'd let people who know what the portrait means that the critters drop nothing. I think extremely difficult/impossible to kill rares alone should hopefully keep griefers away. Either that or completely remove the portrait... Which'll likely confuse questers. Elite tag? People'd probably try to kill it for a challenge! :lol:

It's... Confusing! Players will kill mobs, it's very tricky to stop that happening no matter the colour of their portrait.

Floof the Sambas!

Vasken - Troll Hunter - Argent Dawn EU

DeviantART || Skreel's Dragon Lair

Kalliope

Well, one of the load in screen tips regards "dragon" mobs and their loot quality, which is said to be higher than from normal mobs. That's not accurate for the hunter pets, unless pure gold counts. So another classification would be helpful for some and wouldn't make a difference to others.

YouTube Edition