Mountain Horse Mount Special!!

Read-only since Patch 4.3 is now live.
Andine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moonglade

Re: Mountain Horse Mount Special!!

Unread post by Andine »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:If you've actually played through the worgen starting zone you would totally understand why the brown and black horses make sense for now. If they decide to add more later on then we can say either the worgen established a successful breeding program that cross-breeds with Stormwind's horses, or that Stormwind has decided that horses without saddles are pretty nifty.
We could have done without such a patronising answer. Of course I have played through the Worgen starting zone. What does it matter what colours of wild horses were there? There are no wild wolves (or raptors) in Durotar, so why do Orcs and Trolls ride those? Answer: because it fits them, and was previously established. There was nothing previously established for Worgen, so they could have given any beast that wasn't used yet.
Chimera
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

^i agree though tyger also has the point that you interact a ton with black and brown horses (still cant see why we cant get the other colors and goblins get a couple more diff-colored trikes)

and little side note, blizz did give raptors to durotar right off the bat in vanilla, theres Red (with teal stripes), the orangy yellow (with blue stripes), and the no-longer-there uncommon raptor that was pale yellow with blue stripes, it was an 'Corrupted Scythetalon' or Scythemaw or something? I dun remember, i also know there was a Corrupted croc too, i forget the color he used but i wanna say he used white, and blizz in Cata introduced to the troll starter area Red OL raptors, some more low leveled red raptors, and one grey raptor that patrols the marshes in west durotar

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Andine wrote:We could have done without such a patronising answer.
I'm sure Tyger did not mean it that way, Andine. I know it can be difficult to read tone from text.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Andine wrote:
TygerDarkstorm wrote:If you've actually played through the worgen starting zone you would totally understand why the brown and black horses make sense for now. If they decide to add more later on then we can say either the worgen established a successful breeding program that cross-breeds with Stormwind's horses, or that Stormwind has decided that horses without saddles are pretty nifty.
We could have done without such a patronising answer. Of course I have played through the Worgen starting zone. What does it matter what colours of wild horses were there? There are no wild wolves (or raptors) in Durotar, so why do Orcs and Trolls ride those? Answer: because it fits them, and was previously established. There was nothing previously established for Worgen, so they could have given any beast that wasn't used yet.
Trolls arent from Durotar and yes there are wild raptors in Durotar. I dont thin orcs originated in Durotar either, plus Wolves are honorable in orc culture.

and Tyger wasn't patronizing. She was just telling it as it is.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Believe me, if I wanted to be patronizing, I would have. ;) I was actually just reiterating what someone else had already said earlier in the thread.

Also, trolls ride raptors because they're honored in their culture, not to mention live all over the jungles of STV, which is where the Darkspear trolls are originally from. And yes, worgs suit orcs, and I imagine the reason these two sets of mounts match so well with their respective races is due to their *lore* in which case, my point still stands that the brown and black horses make perfect sense with the worgen. Not to mention, they now have their own, unique form of mount special. ;)

I do believe I have said elsewhere as well that the only way they could introduce other horse colors into the selections would be for the Gilneans to set up a breeding program where they cross their mountain horses with Stormwind's stock horses, otherwise the other colors really don't make much sense. Despite what people are wanting to believe, the mountain horses are probably their own breed of horse and only come in two colors, which even some real life horse breeds do.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Well Orcs are from OL and if I remmber right theres a bunch of Worgs in at least 2 zones there.
Chimera

Unread post by Chimera »

by racial culture they had wolves on draenor (now outlands) and most likley the wolves (not the white ones) originated from wolves bred back on draenor. The arctic ones can be found wild in alterac valley and are the racial wolf guardian/companion/mount to the frostwolf clan which is a secluded clan of orcs that Thrall descends from.

as to the horses, id love for that stormwind breeding program to be established so we can get the other colors of horses... or at least have the humans sell bareback horses in the missing colors >.>;;
Last edited by Chimera on Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

That orc tride in bladesedge has worgs as guard dogs.
Andine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moonglade

Unread post by Andine »

Now you see, you've got explanations for why Orcs and Trolls ride their mounts - and one can be easily made for Worgen. And, say, carriages, don't need any explanations beyond "yup, it's a thing one can ride, and seen in Gilneas". One can't let pre-established story limit the possibilities of the game content so it ends up looking lame.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Andine wrote:Now you see, you've got explanations for why Orcs and Trolls ride their mounts - and one can be easily made for Worgen. And, say, carriages, don't need any explanations beyond "yup, it's a thing one can ride, and seen in Gilneas". One can't let pre-established story limit the possibilities of the game content so it ends up looking lame.
There is a story. Gilneans raised those horses in particular and always have ridden them. Hey! It's an explanation of why Gilneans have them!

Calling it 'lame' because you're not happy with it doesn't exactly contribute to the discussion nor back up anything you've said. The stories don't have be elaborate for it to make sense. As Einstein once said "If you can't explain it in a simple manner, then you don't understand it enough".

LisaaraPokefarm

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

Argue that it makes sense all you like, it still shows a complete lack of effort.

The very smallest amount of trouble altering the skins even SLIGHTLY would make this less of an issue. Basically, they just said 'yeah, Alliance needs two more mounts, well... we have these. *throws in*' Even if they had something as simple as a Gilnean brand on the butt, I'd be less nonplussed, but really.

Lame is lame.
It doesn't help that worgen look pretty ridiculous on horses until you shift back. At least every other race's mount is -scaled to their model-. This is like giving rams to Tauren. You look like a Shriner in a tiny car.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I love these horses now. Omnomgrass.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Well-watered grass, yes? :)
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

What if you do it on like concrete? Oww ma teeths all bleedy this grass is shit!
Chimera

Unread post by Chimera »

i forget, can you ride mounts as a human or do you get forced back into worgen? i know for sure your forced to shapeshift in Running Wild (oh god the glitch where i entered a dungeon while i was on all 4's, left the dungeon in my human form, and found myself on all 4's as a human.. that was epic.. that was so friggin epic..)

Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: WrA

Unread post by Nubhorns »

Xakaal wrote:i forget, can you ride mounts as a human or do you get forced back into worgen? i know for sure your forced to shapeshift in Running Wild (oh god the glitch where i entered a dungeon while i was on all 4's, left the dungeon in my human form, and found myself on all 4's as a human.. that was epic.. that was so friggin epic..)
You can ride mounts in either form. :)

|| deviantART || armory || magistream ||

Chimera

Unread post by Chimera »

ahhhk, thought so ^-^ its not that hard to turn into a human.. sure its one less space on the action bars to have the shapeshifting action close at hand if you dont wanna dig into the spellbook (but im sure you can macro it into the horse mount button if its on your action bar) but if you dun like riding horses as a worgen then ride em as a human (unless your like me and found a gorgeous worgen fur pattern for the face but the humans face looks like a wrinkled old person.. >_>)

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Nachtwulf wrote:Argue that it makes sense all you like, it still shows a complete lack of effort.

The very smallest amount of trouble altering the skins even SLIGHTLY would make this less of an issue. Basically, they just said 'yeah, Alliance needs two more mounts, well... we have these. *throws in*' Even if they had something as simple as a Gilnean brand on the butt, I'd be less nonplussed, but really.

Lame is lame.
It doesn't help that worgen look pretty ridiculous on horses until you shift back. At least every other race's mount is -scaled to their model-. This is like giving rams to Tauren. You look like a Shriner in a tiny car.
These ARE unique skins. They're the first saddle-less mounts(animal wise) and they're a totally different horse type(They're clydesdales). And they're scaled to humans. WHY? Because Gilneans weren't always overgrown werewolves. The Worgens have Running Wild for that reason.

Tauren do have rams....the brewfest ones.

Honestly, calling it lame is just insulting and slightly disrespectful to those who do like it. You can voice your dislike without using the word. No ones forcing you to get these if you don't like them. It's becoming irksome to see 'omg this is lame it's not unique' when it is. It was the model we were hoping they'd give us(aside from the art of that pig demon thing). You're free to dislike it all you want but back it up with something thats actually wrong with the model or a model you would've preferred they used and not claim something false. :)

LisaaraPokefarm

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

As far as I've been able to determine, they aren't 'clydesdales', they're just the regular plain old horses without tack.

If you can provide a side by side comparison showing how these are at all different, I'd appreciate it. But frankly? I'm about 99% sure they aren't.

And while they may be 'scaled to humans', the fact is, they aren't scaled to worgen and that's what race's mount this is. I'm not talking about letting tauren ride Brewfest rams, or hell, Draenei on mechanostriders. They look silly on them, but hey, if you wanna look ridiculous on another race's mount, that's fine.

But even Blizzard realized that draenei looked ridiculous on horses, and thus the new paladin elekks were introduced, as well as the Sunwalker kodo. Also, tauren 'racial mounts' are very definitely scaled to their models.

Gilnean racial mounts, as they are currently, are not.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

They are when Worgen are in human form.