Where The Wild Things Are (MoP rare information)

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Araela
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Thrall

Re: Where The Wild Things Are (MoP rare information)

Unread post by Araela »

Hope you can get the Portent you want soon too! I am rather fond of the blue and purple ones but haven't seen his tracks up at all yet. Still no luck on Pat and there are at least 3 other hunters out here looking for him- either that or they happen to go off in a suddenly random direction by chance. lol! I'm on a PVP realm so it gets interesting o.O Where have you been camping for Portent? Or are you just wandering his path?

Edit:

By chance, after taming a red Portent (still want the blue or purple!) I made a new alliance hunter friend through an emote conversation and cheering at each others' tames. I decided to hop on my 85 ally hunter to talk to her and we ended up becoming realID buddies and she said she'd help me look for Patrannache. Sure enough after about 10 minutes of searching I found some tracks- got so excited I headed in the WRONG direction (d'oh!) - then the two of us were able to flare him out and I got him!

My stables are all Star Trek themed and I thought Quark was a perfect name for this guy. You can probably figure out why she chose the name she did! :D

We wanted to share celebration pics! (Please ignore the mismatched armor- just hit 90 last night and didn't want to transmog gear I'll be replacing shortly!)

Synchronized jumping!

Thank you Airrana for your help!!!
Last edited by Araela on Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Novikova
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

I wander his path. I've found like... 6-7 red ones. Got my green and purple! I may check in now and then, just to SEE a blue. But thanks, thread. I got mah purpley. Good luck on your hunt. :D I also ended up helping someone get Savage. Portent seemed easier to find once I got to the dailies and had 0 phasing issues. His tracks are bigger.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Agravaine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Bleeding Hollow

Unread post by Agravaine »

I managed to tame Savage about 20 minutes ago, pretty much the same way I did in Beta -- I stayed in one spot and flared from stealth. It took maybe 30-45 minutes.

There's something strange about my tames on Beta and Live. I don't have any trouble seeing the tracks, but in both cases, there were no tracks in sight when I flared him out.

On Beta, I had seen his tracks, but wasn't able to trace them to him, and they had been gone for about an hour by the time I flared him.

On Live, I went to the same spot and just chain flared until it revealed him. It was at 56, 29.

The implication is that, at least in Savage's case, he spawns and patrols his path independently of leaving tracks. In other words, they may be up longer and more often than we've observed because we've been tracking their spawns by the tracks.
:shock:

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

There are a few spots where there are issues with the beasts not dropping tracks in some parts of their paths. Patrannache is one of the worst offenders. Would need more info to gauge if that's what happened to you.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Fen
Realm: Turalyon (Eu)

Unread post by Fen »

Savage tamed on turalyon 6:45pm 54,37 i can confirm track's were backwards....instead of patrolling her route i stayed at 54,37 putting flare up constantly (i'd lost her track's there) so i stayed while other hunters ran around like idiot's running the whole route. i waited for the paw prints to appear and then threw a HM on her and Tamed good luck finding her :)
Last edited by Fen on Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agravaine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Kalliope wrote:There are a few spots where there are issues with the beasts not dropping tracks in some parts of their paths. Patrannache is one of the worst offenders. Would need more info to gauge if that's what happened to you.
Hm, curiouser and curiouser. :lol: Well, my flare was exactly where Sasrei's was here, and he was heading towards the road on his way to the northwest point where the tanuki play on the cliff. I had started from the cliff and flared my way to the area in the screenshot. The tame was a few yards west of there (since he keeps walking).

[*] On Beta, he was headed in the opposite direction...

[*] On Beta, I did see his tracks going along the path where I flared and tamed him, but apparently Makoes got him from those tracks; mine came along about an hour later, no tracks.

[*] On Live he was tagged. I didn't hesitate to grab him since there were no hunters along that stretch of his path and I'm on a PvP realm where lots of ganking and griefing takes place in leveling areas.

Any other info that would show this was the issue you described?[/color]

Sesamee
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kil'Jaeden

Unread post by Sesamee »

I've seen three people on my server with Patrannache and I have yet to even see a track. /sigh And the hunt goes on! I'm getting the Bristlespine bug so may see if I can track him/her down and see if Boarboela fits that color or if she was meant to stay a feisty redhead.
Kalliope

@Agravaine: It's possible that the tracks were buried, since that's a hilly area. I haven't seen Savage there much myself, so I'm afraid that's about as much as I can speculate on my own. I'll try and look into it when I get the chance to; my server's pretty empty still. :)

YouTube Edition

Agravaine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Lol, lucky you! On mine, the Jade Forest's been full on both factions since MoP dropped. In fact, I waited for the the number of hunters to go down to a max of 10 on both sides before I headed over. Well, that and I built up a full rested bar. :lol:

Sesamee
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Sesamee »

Kalliope wrote:There are a few spots where there are issues with the beasts not dropping tracks in some parts of their paths. Patrannache is one of the worst offenders. Would need more info to gauge if that's what happened to you.
I think this happened to me as I found his tracks crossing the river near the silken fields and then they just vanished, I asked in gen chat if any hunters tamed him and got no response other than another hunter looking for him and a trolling Monk who had no idea about the new mechanics claiming to have killed him 30m ago lol. But after a week of searching at least I saw tracks this time! I don't mind if Pat becomes my one rare that keeps eluding me. It makes the hunt fun and on this busy server I fully expected it.
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

Agravaine wrote:
Hm, curiouser and curiouser. :lol: Well, my flare was exactly where Sasrei's was here, and he was heading towards the road on his way to the northwest point where the tanuki play on the cliff. I had started from the cliff and flared my way to the area in the screenshot. The tame was a few yards west of there (since he keeps walking).

[*] On Beta, he was headed in the opposite direction...

[*] On Beta, I did see his tracks going along the path where I flared and tamed him, but apparently Makoes got him from those tracks; mine came along about an hour later, no tracks.

[*] On Live he was tagged. I didn't hesitate to grab him since there were no hunters along that stretch of his path and I'm on a PvP realm where lots of ganking and griefing takes place in leveling areas.

Any other info that would show this was the issue you described?[/color]
The point where the Tanuki are playing is actually his spawn point. He keeps patrolling from there to the southern turnaround and back until he gets tamed or killed. Then he respawns at 53,23. I have followed him with my mark on him and have never seen him not leave tracks. There may be phasing issues if you have not done all the JF quests (like with Glimmer and Portent) and you could get lucky and not see tracks but still flare him out.
Agravaine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Danielfboone wrote:The point where the Tanuki are playing is actually his spawn point.
Yes, it's kind of obvious since the tracks originate from there, but it wasn't common knowledge that it's the northernmost point of his path until I pointed it out in the same thread for Royi.

Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

I managed to help a hunter tame Savage on my server last night and I swear it felt like either his tracks were buried or he just didn't feel like leaving them. Happily, this afternoon around 2:30PM FM server, I got me a blue Portent! The last one I wanted.

The porcupine is a maybe but... yeah, I'm good for awhile. It was fun to poke around for rares instead of fighting for onyx eggs (And I got a hate tell when I DID get an onyx egg...).
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Araela
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Thrall

Unread post by Araela »

Sesamee wrote:I've seen three people on my server with Patrannache and I have yet to even see a track. /sigh And the hunt goes on! I'm getting the Bristlespine bug so may see if I can track him/her down and see if Boarboela fits that color or if she was meant to stay a feisty redhead.
I'm sure you've had groundclutter on low but the other thing that helped me was patting around the southern border underneath the brewery- that's where I managed to FINALLY see the tracks! Good luck! :)
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

I've tracked Savage along his entire path--there are definitely hilly areas where tracks have the potential to be partially or completely buried! Sometimes I've caught sight of only the barest fragment of a track, with the rest submerged.
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Agravaine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Kalliope wrote:
Novikova wrote:Do you need to have done quests to get to Pat? I may make getting pink crane priority #1...
Nope, as far as we know, the only rare who is affected by phasing issues and therefore requires questing to see his full path is Portent. :)
ejpaints wrote:I was sleepy and went to bed right after last night. But I parachute cloaked my butt off that ship and headed towards savage as soon as it went live last night.

Tamed at 12:04AM on lightbringer. So lets see how long he takes.
ejpaints wrote:
Novikova wrote:Ah, congratulations! Did you need to do any quests to see the tracks?
Nope. I jumped off the boat and ran straight there on lightbringer. Got mine at 12:04 this morning. Took a few seconds for tracks to appear bc of lag though.
So if visual on Savage's tracks is not affected by phasing issues, the track height must be variable for them to have been submerged when I tamed him both times. Because I flared him out where I had seen his tracks quite clearly previously.

The issue remains that it is possible for the MoP rares to be pathing without leaving tracks. Or I could not have tamed him twice without seeing tracks where I had already seen them.
Last edited by Agravaine on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kalliope

Agravaine wrote:So if visual on Savage's tracks is not affected by phasing issues, the track height must be variable for them to have been submerged when I tamed him both times. Because I flared him out where I had seen his tracks quite clearly previously.
That makes a lot of sense. It also explains why sometimes I can see tracks in particular areas and not at other times.

YouTube Edition

Agravaine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

It would be interesting if the bloody tracks, flooded tracks etc. had object IDs like the bloody dreadsaber tracks in Sholazar, or the mysterious camel figurines in Uldum... but that would make it too easy. :)

Sesamee
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Sesamee »

Araela wrote:
Sesamee wrote:I've seen three people on my server with Patrannache and I have yet to even see a track. /sigh And the hunt goes on! I'm getting the Bristlespine bug so may see if I can track him/her down and see if Boarboela fits that color or if she was meant to stay a feisty redhead.
I'm sure you've had groundclutter on low but the other thing that helped me was patting around the southern border underneath the brewery- that's where I managed to FINALLY see the tracks! Good luck! :)
I finally managed to track him down and it was in this area that I tamed him. I tracked him for almost an hour and almost gave up a few times. He loves to "forget" to drop his tracks but once you're on his trail it's pretty easy. Once I found walking by foot to be easier once I was onto a nice set of tracks as when I was mounted even with the camera zoomed tighter it was harder to see them since they're so small. "Barely visible" is right!

But I have him and he's gorgeous and I love him. I'll post pics and put a blog post up when I have time tomorrow night.
Kalliope

Agravaine wrote:It would be interesting if the bloody tracks, flooded tracks etc. had object IDs like the bloody dreadsaber tracks in Sholazar, or the mysterious camel figurines in Uldum... but that would make it too easy. :)
They do, actually, but yes, it's against the spirit of the taming mechanic.

YouTube Edition